Post Doctoral Fellow - (STA007762)
Possesses, understands, and applies a comprehensive knowledge in area of specialization. Develops understanding and skills to allow for completion of assignments that cross fields of specialization. Develops leadership and management skills.
- Receives/Reviews progress and evaluates results of experiments or projects under control or supervisory responsibility.
- Recommends changes in research, testing or experimental procedures.
- May be responsible for a single highly technical and complex piece of research equipment.
- May review and evaluate the effectiveness of personnel.
- May plan for and assign personnel to projects under control.
- Operates with latitude for unreviewed action.
- May receive general supervision conferring with higher levels only in unusual situations.
- Performs other job-related duties as required.
Additional Posting Information
Position Description: We are seeking a postdoctoral fellow to study molecular and neural mechanisms of social behavior in the African cichlid fish Astatotilapia burtoni. The position is fully funded for at least two years. The Alward lab is collaborative and will provide a supportive training environment with opportunity to mentor junior lab members and undergraduates, use CRISPR/Cas9 gene editing, develop new methods, and expand scientific writing/communication skills.
Lab Description: The Alward lab utilizes an interdisciplinary toolkit including high-throughput behavior paradigms and CRISPR/Cas9 gene editing (Alward et al., 2020 PNAS) to identify molecular and neural mechanisms controlling flexible social behavior in A. burtoni (alwardlab.com). The Alward lab and fish rooms reside in a new state-of-the-art renovated space and are in immediate proximity to other neuroscience and molecular genetics labs. The Alward lab interacts regularly with molecular biology and neuroscience groups in the Departments of Psychology and Biology and Biochemistry at the University of Houston and in the Texas Medical Center, the largest medical center in the world.
Doctoral and No experience.
Requires singular knowledge of a specialized advanced professional discipline or the highest level of general business knowledge, normally acquired through attainment of a directly job-related terminal degree or equivalent formal training in a recognized field of specialization that is directly related to the type of work being performed.No experience is required.
- Recent PhD or MD/PhD degree with previous training in bioinformatics and molecular biology or a related field
- Self-motivated, evidence of scholarly record, and welcoming of a collaborative environment
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Expertise with bioinformatic analysis of RNA-seq datasets and/or computational biology
- Prior lab experience performing small tissue dissections (e.g., brain regions) and/or microinjections.
Notes to Applicant: Position is Grant Funded
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Houston
- Health & Medicine Not specified Full Time jobs in Houston
- Other Health & Medicine Not specified Full Time jobs in Houston
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Not specified Full Time jobs in Houston
- Biology & Life Sciences Not specified Full Time jobs in Houston