About Salve Regina University:
Salve Regina University, ranked as one of the most transformative
colleges in the United States by Money Magazine, is a comprehensive
Catholic University located in the scenic coastal community of
Newport, Rhode Island. The University's commitment to academic
success and personal discovery extends beyond its historic campus
into a dynamic world where the application of higher thinking and
skill are most valued. Salve Regina offers bachelor's and master's
degree programs, graduate certificates, and doctoral programs in
humanities, international relations and nursing. Enrollment
includes more than 2,600 undergraduate and graduate students from
across the U.S. and around the world.
The Learning Management Systems Specialist will be responsible for
the support and administration of the University Learning
Management System (LMS) and other associated instructional
technologies. The position is responsible for promoting the
adoption of technology in support of innovative teaching and
learning strategies of faculty and students.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide comprehensive administration and support of the
University LMS (Canvas).
- Act as primary technical resource to respond to faculty,
students, and staff needs
- Monitoring upgrades, changes, outages and feature releases for
communication to the University community
- Research, test, implement LMS features outcomes, e-portfolio,
open content repository, analytics, and more
- Troubleshoots basic user issues and escalate issues to the
vendor as appropriate
- Perform daily operations such as importing data, configuring
user accounts, permissions and other course management tasks
- Prepares reports and analyzes data related to the usage of the
- Maintain other instructional technologies and applications that
extend or integrate with the LMS such as Turnitin and WebEx.
- Assists faculty with the creation and upload of content and
templates to the LMS in support of teaching and learning in both
online and on-premise courses. Adheres to ADA requirements for LMS
and other online content.
- Create training materials related to the LMS and classroom
technologies which may include multimedia visual aids, video
demonstrations, and e-learning modules. Partner with IT staff and
University faculty to deliver training to the academic
- Learning Management Systems Specialist
- Participate in all efforts of the Office of Information
Technologies to enhance the effective use of technology at the
- Conducts research and maintains current knowledge of
technologies that support teaching and learning. Makes thoughtful
recommendations for improvements to classroom technologies for the
benefit of the University.
- Facilitate the adoption of technology by the academic
- Promote and communicate technology solutions to the academic
community that will aid their goals and teaching strategies.
- Assist in research studies evaluating the use of technology and
their impact on student learning outcomes at the University.
- Support efforts of the Faculty Development and Innovation
Center on best practices and use of technology in the
- Documentation of policies and procedures as required.
- Perform such other related duties that may be assigned.
- A Bachelor's degree in Information Technology, Computer
Science, Instructional Design or related field.
- A minimum of two years professional experience in a learning
management system and support is required, knowledge of Canvas is a
- Knowledge and demonstrated skill in software development
- Demonstrate the ability to:
- Work effectively with Information Technology staff members,
faculty and students in a collaborative and collegial manner.
- Present excellent oral and written communication skills at both
the technical and non-technical levels.
- Work effectively as a team member or independently as
- Learning Management Systems Specialist
- Organize and prioritize multiple projects with the ability to
meet scheduled deadlines.
- Exhibit analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Focus on details.
- Act responsibly by following issues through to resolution.
- Provide reliable and dependable service during key projects and
at critical times of the University calendar.
- Knowledge of instructional design principles and practices
(needs assessments, task analysis, prototyping, evaluation) in a
- Ability to design online course content (lectures, activities,
discussions, assessments, etc.) that align with specific learning
outcomes according to industry best practices.
- Ability to evaluate LMS content against accepted design
principles/standards such as Quality Matters (QM)
- Experience with technical support of inclusive pedagogy such as
universal design and open educational resources (OER)
Salve Regina University offers generous benefits to eligible
- health and dental coverage
- life insurance
- long-term disability
- 403B plan
- tuition benefits and more
Salve Regina University strives to provide equal opportunity in
employment and education to all employees, students and applicants.
No employee, student or applicant shall be discriminated against or
harassed on the basis of race, color, national and ethnic origin,
sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion,
disability, age, marital or parental status, military or veteran
status, genetic information or any other basis protected by
applicable federal or state law, in the administration of Salve
Regina's employment policies, education policies, admission
policies, scholarship and loan programs, athletic and other
University administered programs. In accordance with Title IX, it
does not discriminate on the basis of sex in any of its educational
programs or activities. Salve Regina is also committed to making
its programs and campus accessible to its visitors and compliant
with all applicable non-discrimination laws.
Applicants must apply online for any open staff and faculty
positions by providing a cover-letter and resume. Pre-employment
background checks and reference checks are required of successful
candidates. Salve Regina University participates in E-verify.