Learning Management Systems Specialist
About Salve Regina University:
Salve Regina University, ranked as one of the most transformative colleges in the United States by Money Magazine, is a comprehensive Catholic University located in the scenic coastal community of Newport, Rhode Island. The University's commitment to academic success and personal discovery extends beyond its historic campus into a dynamic world where the application of higher thinking and skill are most valued. Salve Regina offers bachelor's and master's degree programs, graduate certificates, and doctoral programs in humanities, international relations and nursing. Enrollment includes more than 2,600 undergraduate and graduate students from across the U.S. and around the world.
The Learning Management Systems Specialist will be responsible for the support and administration of the University Learning Management System (LMS) and other associated instructional technologies. The position is responsible for promoting the adoption of technology in support of innovative teaching and learning strategies of faculty and students.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide comprehensive administration and support of the University LMS (Canvas).
- Act as primary technical resource to respond to faculty, students, and staff needs
- Monitoring upgrades, changes, outages and feature releases for communication to the University community
- Research, test, implement LMS features outcomes, e-portfolio, open content repository, analytics, and more
- Troubleshoots basic user issues and escalate issues to the vendor as appropriate
- Perform daily operations such as importing data, configuring user accounts, permissions and other course management tasks
- Prepares reports and analyzes data related to the usage of the LMS
- Maintain other instructional technologies and applications that extend or integrate with the LMS such as Turnitin and WebEx.
- Assists faculty with the creation and upload of content and templates to the LMS in support of teaching and learning in both online and on-premise courses. Adheres to ADA requirements for LMS and other online content.
- Create training materials related to the LMS and classroom technologies which may include multimedia visual aids, video demonstrations, and e-learning modules. Partner with IT staff and University faculty to deliver training to the academic community.
- Learning Management Systems Specialist
- Participate in all efforts of the Office of Information Technologies to enhance the effective use of technology at the University.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Conducts research and maintains current knowledge of technologies that support teaching and learning. Makes thoughtful recommendations for improvements to classroom technologies for the benefit of the University.
- Facilitate the adoption of technology by the academic community.
- Promote and communicate technology solutions to the academic community that will aid their goals and teaching strategies.
- Assist in research studies evaluating the use of technology and their impact on student learning outcomes at the University.
- Support efforts of the Faculty Development and Innovation Center on best practices and use of technology in the classroom.
- Documentation of policies and procedures as required.
- Perform such other related duties that may be assigned.
- A Bachelor's degree in Information Technology, Computer Science, Instructional Design or related field.
- A minimum of two years professional experience in a learning management system and support is required, knowledge of Canvas is a benefit.
- Demonstrate the ability to:
- Work effectively with Information Technology staff members, faculty and students in a collaborative and collegial manner.
- Present excellent oral and written communication skills at both the technical and non-technical levels.
- Work effectively as a team member or independently as appropriate
- Learning Management Systems Specialist
- Organize and prioritize multiple projects with the ability to meet scheduled deadlines.
- Exhibit analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Focus on details.
- Act responsibly by following issues through to resolution.
- Provide reliable and dependable service during key projects and at critical times of the University calendar.
- Knowledge of instructional design principles and practices (needs assessments, task analysis, prototyping, evaluation) in a University setting
- Ability to design online course content (lectures, activities, discussions, assessments, etc.) that align with specific learning outcomes according to industry best practices.
- Ability to evaluate LMS content against accepted design principles/standards such as Quality Matters (QM)
- Experience with technical support of inclusive pedagogy such as universal design and open educational resources (OER)
Salve Regina University offers generous benefits to eligible employees including:
- health and dental coverage
- life insurance
- long-term disability
- 403B plan
- tuition benefits and more
Salve Regina University strives to provide equal opportunity in employment and education to all employees, students and applicants. No employee, student or applicant shall be discriminated against or harassed on the basis of race, color, national and ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, age, marital or parental status, military or veteran status, genetic information or any other basis protected by applicable federal or state law, in the administration of Salve Regina's employment policies, education policies, admission policies, scholarship and loan programs, athletic and other University administered programs. In accordance with Title IX, it does not discriminate on the basis of sex in any of its educational programs or activities. Salve Regina is also committed to making its programs and campus accessible to its visitors and compliant with all applicable non-discrimination laws.
Applicants must apply online for any open staff and faculty positions by providing a cover-letter and resume. Pre-employment background checks and reference checks are required of successful candidates. Salve Regina University participates in E-verify.