Veteran Services Specialist
About Curry College:
Founded in 1879, Curry College is a private, four-year, liberal arts-based institution in Milton Massachusetts. In addition to the main campus classes for adult learners are also offered at our campus at Cordage Park in historic Plymouth. Curry College is accredited by the New England Commission of Higher Education (NECHE). Curry College offers 27 undergraduate majors, over 60 minors and concentrations, as well as five graduate programs.
The Curry College mission is to educate and graduate students prepared to engage in successful careers and active citizenship with a global perspective. They are an inclusive community of diverse learners and educators, committed to continuing their legacy of developing effective communicators with reflective and critical thinking skills. They mentor and empower their students, building meaningful relationships that inspire them to achieve their ambitions.
Curry College provides rigorous and relevant academic programs to undergraduate and graduate students, and their rich blend of liberal arts and career-directed programs is enhanced by practical field experiences and co-curricular activities. Learning at Curry extends beyond the classroom and is embedded in all that they do.
Diversity and a culture of equity and inclusion among students, faculty and staff are crucial to the mission statement of Curry College.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, sex identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable state and federal law, including Title IX.
Reporting to the Registrar, the Veteran Services Specialist is responsible for service, operations, compliance and data/records management for the College's veteran student population, and acts as the primary School Certifying Official (SCO) for the College. Responsibilities include certification of enrollment and maintaining accurate records in compliance with U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs regulations, addressing veteran and dependent student inquiries around enrollment and benefits, and acting as a liaison between students and the VA. The incumbent will routinely interact with students, as well as College personnel and VA representatives.
1. Enrollment certifications/School Certifying Official (SCO):
- Serves as the College's primary School Certifying Official (SCO) in accordance with U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs requirements;
- Processes all enrollment certifications, tuition and fees and program changes/ terminations in VA ONCE and other applicable systems;
- Regularly monitors veteran student enrollment status for changes and processes changes as needed;
- Interprets student accounts in Banner Student System and works closely with Student Accounts and Financial Aid offices on situations pertaining to tuition and fees, and financial aid for veteran students;
- Notifies the State Approving Agency (SAA) of new program updates and changes to existing programs;
- Compiles and reports information to the SAA for regular academic program and catalog compliance reviews; confirms that information in catalog and on Curry website maintains compliance with VA regulations;
- Performs regular monitoring of academic program enrollments and maintains data on percentages of supported/unsupported students in each program; compiles and reports information to the SAA as necessary to maintain compliance of the 85/15 rule;
- Compiles data and records and addresses questions in response to external compliance visits.
2. Customer Service:
- Provides effective customer services for current and incoming VA students by assisting with questions related to VA benefits and enrollment;
- Maintains a broad knowledge of VA education benefits and the characteristics of each type, with the ability to apply this knowledge to unique student inquiries and situations;
- Assists students with initiating and managing benefits processes and with submission of appropriate documentation;
- Acts as a liaison between students and the VA and contacts appropriate VA personnel to address complex questions related to enrollment and benefits processes.
3. Compliance/Records Management:
- Maintains compliance with VA policies and regulations, attends mandatory training and other training as needed to keep informed of regulatory changes;
- Notifies the appropriate College officials of regulatory changes and works with the Registrar to adjust/update operations, procedures, and reporting to maintain compliance;
- Maintains VA student data and records changes to student eligibility and status in Banner Student System, in accordance with internal and external regulations;
- Updates appropriate fields in Banner to record new veteran students and students newly utilizing VA benefits;
- Maintains accurate VA-related student records, including records of degree progress, transcripts, transfer credit evaluation, tuition and fee changes, and other relevant documentation.
4. Administrative Support:
- Provides front office administrative support as needed, including responding to telephone, electronic, and in-person inquiries.
- Performs other duties as assigned by supervisor or his/her designee;
- Respects and maintains confidentiality, parameters of operation, professional protocols, and individual privacy.
- Bachelor's degree;
- At least one year experience in a professional setting;
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite;
- Ability to manage multiple electronic platforms and to learn new systems as necessary.
- Experience with veteran services and knowledge of VA education benefits;
- Prior SCO work experience;
- Proficiency with Banner Student System;
- Familiarity with FERPA;
- Experience working in an educational environment.
Committed to attracting and retaining a diverse staff, Curry College will honor your experiences, perspectives and unique identity. Together, our community strives to create and maintain working and learning environments that are inclusive, equitable and welcoming.
At the College's discretion, the education and experience prerequisites may be excepted where the candidate can demonstrate, to the satisfaction of the College, an equivalent combination of education and experience specifically preparing the candidate for success in the position.
Employment in this position is contingent upon the successful completion of all required pre-employment background checks.
Inquiries about the application of Title IX can be directed to the College's Title IX Coordinator, Rachel King at Rachel.firstname.lastname@example.org, (617) 979-3516, or King Academic Administration Building, 55 Atherton St, or US Department of Education, Office of Civil Rights ("OCR") - Boston Office, 5 Post Office Square, 8th Floor, Boston, MA 02109-3921, (617) 289-0111.
Please apply online at https://www.curry.edu/about-us/community-resources/employment/job-opportunities for consideration. Interested applicants must submit the following:
- a cover letter
- a resume; and
- a list of three professional references, one of which must be a former or current supervisor, including complete contact information and professional titles.