Athens State University
Closing Date: 8/4/2021
The Facilities/Safety Clerk position is responsible coordinating, expediting and receiving all incoming property. This position is also responsible for the University's regulatory footprint with respect to Alabama Department of Public Health (ADPH), US-EPA and US-OSHA and oversight of the MSDS program. It also involves the independent performance of all phases of assisting the Property Manager in relation to all aspects of Property Maintenance and Shipping and Receiving. ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
- Assist the Property Manager in all phases of duties essential for maintaining a perpetual inventory by performing computerized record-keeping tasks, locating and tagging new equipment and the storing of surplus supplies.
- Assist the Property Manager in maintaining records of surplus equipment and the preparing of surplus equipment for disposal.
- Assist in the receiving and delivering of parcels at Central Receiving.
- Data entry for assets to track warranty, etc.
- Coordinate information between vendors, maintenance schedules and tracking inventory.
- Ensure proper PPE is always available for all maintenance personnel.
- Maintains proper MSDS records.
- Leads SDS/GHS chemical and identification system.
- Assist in the identification and control of occupational (employee) hazards.
- Responsible for hazardous waste storage areas, hazardous waste shipping and invoicing.
- Interfaces with environmental regulatory agencies Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), and Alabama Department of Public Health (ADPH).
- Prepares and submits reports/permits to EPA/Alabama Department of Environmental Management (ADEM).
- Responsible for or assisting laboratory employee with lab equipment/instrument maintenance.
- Develops and conducts safety training for the campus community, primarily for physical plant employees.
- Assists with fire extinguisher and Automatic External Defibrillator (AED) inspections.
- Assists with campus emergency preparedness and business continuity plans, primarily for the physical plant department.
- Serves on the University Risk Management and Safety Committee.
- Demonstrates flexibility and adaptability to changing work scope and tasks based on need.
- Actively works towards building cooperative and collaborative relationships with peers and internal faculty and staff.
- Identifies opportunities for improvements to work practices and
offers viable solutions for implementation.
- Demonstrates good problem-solving skills.
- Maintains open lines of communications with internal customers,
management, and contractors.
- Completes other tasks as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:· High School diploma or equivalent.· Bachelor’s degree preferred· Minimum 3-5 years maintenance experience · Ability to utilize computer equipment and computer software such as Microsoft Word, Excel and Access· Ability to operate forklift equipment. OTHER QUALIFICATIONS AND JOB REQUIREMENTS:· Must be able to understand and follow written and oral instructions.· Must be able to lift at least seventy-five (75) pounds.· Ability to work independently.· Ability to react to change productively. · Maintain a working knowledge of regulatory requirements through continuing education.
Salary Band: P87To view salary schedules visit: https://www.athens.edu/human-resources/salary-schedule-tables/ Salary will be Commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Unofficial transcripts should be from the college or university which verifies minimum qualifications for the position. Upon an offer of employment, official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended must be submitted. Continued employment is contingent upon receipt of transcripts from all colleges and universities attended.
Please provide contact information for three professional references on your application.
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: https://jobs.athens.edu/postings/search
About Athens State University
Located in historic Athens, Alabama, Athens State University offers junior and senior-level coursework to community college graduates and transfer students holding sufficient credits from other institutions. Presently, over 3,100 students have selected Athens State because of its neighborly environment where 50 majors and degree programs are offered, with courses taught by a supportive and exceptional faculty. Approximately 80% of the students are enrolled in at least one online course. The typical student is a working adult who commutes. Recently, the University was featured in the 2015 Best Value Online College Rankings by OnlineU.org for four online programs including computer science, accounting, education and human resources. The University offers undergraduate degree programs in Liberal Arts, Teacher Preparation, and Business. The University employs more than 350 full and part-time employees with approximately 90 full-time faculty members in three colleges: College of Arts and Sciences, College of Business, and College of Education. Seventy-five percent of the full-time faculty members hold a terminal degree. The University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges.
Athens, Alabama is located in north Alabama equidistant between Nashville, TN and Birmingham, AL. Athens is home to several events and festivals that have been featured as the Southeast Tourism Society’s “Top 20 Events in the Southeast” including the Athens Storytelling Festival and the Tennessee Valley Old Time Fiddlers Convention.
In accordance with Athens State University Policy and guidelines, the applicant chosen for employment will be required to sign a consent form for a criminal background check. Employment will be contingent upon the receipt of a clearance notification from that criminal background check.
Non-Discrimination Policy Statement Athens State University, as an equal opportunity/affirmative action institution, complies with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action. Athens State University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, sexual orientation, disability, religion, genetic information, or veteran status in employment, or admissions to or participation in educational programs and activities. Inquiries or concerns may be addressed to the Office of the Vice President of Enrollment and Student Support Services, 300 N. Beaty St., Athens, AL 35611, 256- 233-8175.