Rental Fleet and Landscape Specialist
Rental Fleet and Landscape Specialist
Located in the historic community of Walla Walla, Whitman's beautiful tree-lined campus is home to an intellectually dynamic, diverse, and supportive community of some 500 staff and faculty and 1,500 students. With an endowment exceeding $700 million, fiercely loyal alumni, exceptional students, and accomplished faculty and staff, Whitman College continues to build on its national reputation for academic excellence ranking as one of the top liberal arts colleges in the country.
Whitman College is building a diverse academic community and especially encourages applications from women, members of historically underrepresented minority groups, persons with disabilities, and others who would bring additional dimensions to the college's learning environment. Whitman College is an EEO employer.
Whitman College is hiring for a 32hr/week position that focuses year round on the College's Rental Fleet and supports seasonal Landscape/Grounds maintenance.
This position reports to the Grounds Supervisor or designee and provides two coverages.
Year Round: Conducts safety and damage inspections, fuels and cleans all rental vehicles. Maintains accurate inspection, mileage, and service records for all rental vehicles. Works with the Facilities Services Administrative Assistant to schedule rental vehicle service and repair needs, and to ensure all rentals are ready on time.
Seasonal: Under general supervision, cares for college landscapes.
- Fuels, cleans (full interior and exterior of vehicles), and performs required vehicle safety and damages inspections for each vehicle rental and promptly reports negative findings to the mechanic and the administrative assistant.
- Notifies the administrative assistant of all service and repair needs of rental vehicles and works with the administrative assistant for scheduling.
- Delivers vehicles to and retrieves vehicles from repair shops and communicates with repair professionals.
- Submits all receipts to the administrative assistant in a timely manner.
- Enters service and repair data into the vehicle maintenance system.
- Enters inspection and mileage data into the vehicle reservations system.
- Mows, edges, and assists with tree maintnenance and clean up.
- Performs other seasonal duties, such as raking leaves, removing debris, snow and ice from steps, walks, ramps, and parking lots.
- Reports damages and repairs as needed.
- Utilizes Facility Services work order system and computers (e.g. email, creating reports).
- Assists other Grounds team members on projects as needed.
- Responds to campus emergencies for repair work as needed.
- Organizes daily work schedule and consults regularly with the Grounds Supervisor for prioritizing work.
- Works within the safety regulations for federal, state, and Whitman College. Actively participates in the accident prevention program, including attending safety program.
- Observes safety precautions and procedures at all times, being alert for unsafe conditions and reports them to supervisor.
- Completes other duties as needed (e.g. vacancy coverage, inclement weather, moving, furniture set-up, other Facilities Services responsibilities).
- Serves as essential personnel, meaning duties are essential to the operations of the College and requires that the position report to campus for work even during full or partial closures, emergencies, inclement weather, etc.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Individuals must be able to explain and/or demonstrate that they possess the knowledge, skills, and abilities to safely perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Attention to detail.
- Ability to utilize Facility Services work order system and computers (e.g. email, creating reports).
- Ability to use the computer and maintain accurate records in specialized software.
- Knowledge of cleaning compounds and their proper use.
- Clean driving record.
- Good mechanical aptitude and common sense.
- Ability and open to learning new tasks and processes.
- Ability to positively and actively contribute to the College's core values of diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Ability to be reliable and capable of working independently on the assigned shift.
- Must be able to communicate well with repair professionals.
- Must have the ability to work closely and congenially with faculty, staff and students.
- Must work outdoors in all-weather conditions.
Valid driver's license, good driving record, and experience driving large and various size vehicles.
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND PHYSICAL REQUIRMENTS
Work environment is primarily outside and sometimes inside, both of which may include working in high places. This position may be exposed to dirt, dust and equipment solutions. Work may require periodic use of personal protective equipment (e.g. goggles, respirators). Physical skill and sustained physical effort may be required for some of the maintenance responsibilities. Job requires moderate strength and agility and typically requires balancing, bending, kneeling, crouching, crawling, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, working in confined areas, grasping and repetitive motions. Lifting and carrying materials weighing up to 50 pounds occurs with varied frequency.
Application review will begin on July 26, 2021 and will continue until the position is filled.
September 1, 2021
For full application instructions and position description, visit https://whitman.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=91