Custodian: ResidenceLife (two positions)
Custodian: ResidenceLife (two positions)
Located in the historic community of Walla Walla, Whitman's beautiful tree-lined campus is home to an intellectually dynamic, diverse, and supportive community of some 500 staff and faculty and 1,500 students. With an endowment exceeding $700 million, fiercely loyal alumni, exceptional students, and accomplished faculty and staff, Whitman College continues to build on its national reputation for academic excellence ranking as one of the top liberal arts colleges in the country.
Whitman College is hiring for two custodians for residence halls. One position is a regular full-time position, and one position is a temporary part-time position (0.50 full-time equivalency) that will work August 2021 - June 2022.
The Custodian performs cleaning duties primarily in a College residential building, although may include more than one residential building and academic or administrative facilities. The Custodian has technical knowledge in the use of cleaning chemicals and the operation of cleaning equipment. This person also cleans with a team of custodians when required. Evening and weekend work may be required.
- Properly use power equipment and hand tools such as broom, mop, squeegee, carpet extractors, floor machines and vacuum to clean and maintain floors, walls, carpets and furniture in residence halls.
- Routinely clean and sanitize rest rooms and showers, replacing tissue and other rest room supplies when needed.
- Empty wastebaskets and trash containers, replace liners, and then place refuse in proper pick-up locations.
- Launder such items as bath mats and cleaning rags and clean laundry room.
- Report damages and maintenance repairs.
- Utilize Facility Services work order system and computers (e.g. email communications).
- Wash windows of building according to a regular schedule.
- Replace light bulbs when necessary.
- Clean entire building during the summer months when student rooms are vacant.
- Maintain inventory of chemicals, supplies and needs for residence halls.
- Observe safety precautions and procedures at all times, being alert for unsafe conditions and reports them to supervisor.
- Complete other duties as assigned (e.g. inclement weather, moving, furniture set-up)
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
Individuals must be able to explain and demonstrate that they possess the knowledge, skills and abilities to safely perform the essential functions of the job described above with or without reasonable accommodation:
- Ability to work closely and collaboratively with faculty, students and staff.
- Ability to orally communicate effectively with others.
- Ability to comprehend written and oral work orders.
- Ability to:
- operate all custodial equipment, including vacuums, floor machines, extractors, etc.;
- move supplies, equipment, and furniture including desks, beds, wardrobes, couches, chairs, etc. weighing up to 50 pounds;
- climb up and down stairs, ladders;
- and meet normal physical requirements for performing custodial duties.
5. Ability to use technical custodial procedures and chemicals.
6. Ability to demonstrate knowledge of safety procedures.
7. Ability to positively and actively contribute to the College's core values of diversity, equity and inclusion.
8. Ability to be reliable and capable of working independently on the assigned shift
High school diploma or equivalent and minimum six months of custodian experience required.
Past experience in standard custodial practices and procedures in an organization with extended hours of operation and multiple high-traffic areas is preferred.
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND PHYSICAL REQUIRMENTS
Work environment is primarily inside Whitman facilities and sometimes outside, both of which may include working in high places. This position may be exposed to dirt, dust and cleaning solutions. Work may require periodic use of personal protective equipment (e.g. gloves, respirators). Physical skill and sustained physical effort may be required for some of the custodial responsibilities. Job requires moderate strength and agility and typically requires balancing, bending, kneeling, crouching, crawling, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, grasping and repetitive motions. Lifting and carrying materials weighing up to 50 pounds occurs with varied frequency.
TYPICAL WORK HOURS
The Custodian generally works 8 a.m. - 5 p.m., Mondays - Fridays.
The hourly compensation for both custodial positions is $15/hour. The full-time regular position will work 40 hours/week and the part-time (0.5 FTE) position will work 20 hours/week.
Application review will begin on July 26, 2021 and the positions will remain open until filled.
DESIRED START DATE
August 15, 2021
For full application instructions and position description, visit https://whitman.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=89