Chief Diversity Officer
New Jersey Institute of Technology, New Jersey’s science, technology and design university, and one of only 32 polytechnic universities in the United States, invites applications and nominations for the position of Chief Diversity Officer. As one of the nation’s preeminent STEM-based educational and research institutions, NJIT is consistently ranked among the highest in the country in return-on-investment (ROI) for its graduates and ranks among the top U.S. polytechnic universities in terms of research expenditures.
NJIT has transformed, in a few short decades, from a commuter university awarding degrees in engineering to a national, research, STEM+ university offering engineering, architecture, management, computing, science, and select humanities degrees. In 2018, NJIT was awarded the R1 “Very High Research Activity” Carnegie Classification and in 2020, was ranked by U.S. News among their top 100 national universities. NJIT conducts more than $160 million in research activity each year.
Enrolling approximately 11,500 students across six schools and colleges, NJIT has enjoyed a meteoric rise in many key performance indicators in recent years. New innovative programs, enrollment growth, and major developments in NJIT’s physical infrastructure and research productivity have driven an ascension up the rankings and allowed the university to attract a student body of a high caliber and a faculty made up of individuals who are leaders in their fields. NJIT has accomplished this while staying true to its roots as an institution that changes the lives of its diverse students and provides a vital workforce creation and economic service to the state and the nation, graduating well-prepared students in industry-relevant areas. NJIT educates more engineers and computer scientists than any institution of higher education in the tri-state area and was ranked the top university in the nation by Forbes for enabling its lowest-income students to achieve upward economic mobility.
Reporting to the President, the Chief Diversity Officer (CDO) will work in collaboration with university leaders, faculty, students, and staff, to support an academic environment in which the principles of diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) are centrally embedded in institutional frameworks. The CDO will be responsible for creating, revising, and implementing DEI policies; overseeing programing; and fostering an inclusive campus climate in which every member of the community can thrive. The CDO is a subject matter expert and will bring to their work expert knowledge of, and experience with, the many facets of DEI work, including relevant federal and state policies and regulations, as well as nationally recognized best practices.
- Partners with campus leaders, faculty, students, staff, and internal and external constituencies to ensure programming supports the university’s values and strategic goals.
- Assess and monitor all relevant data relating to employee and student populations. Works to increase year-over-year diversity and representation metrics in line with specific goals defined in the NJIT 2025 strategic plan, and positively impact engagement and retention in measurable ways.
- Provides strategic direction and oversight for training initiatives on cultural competency, gender differences, disability, sexual harassment, building a climate of equity and inclusion, and other topics designed to increase awareness and support of equity and inclusion values, and maintaining compliance with applicable laws, in collaboration with university stakeholders.
- Provides analysis of legislation and regulations related to equity and affirmative action and works in conjunction with the Human Resources, and Student Life to assist in regulatory compliance matters pertaining to inclusion and diversity.
- Serves as the deputy Title IX coordinator.
- Master’s degree in social justice, sociology, public administration, or related field
- At least five years advancing DEI in a complex organization
- Track record of: successfully executing projects with multidisciplinary teams; acting upon tactical opportunities in a fast-paced environment; delivering diplomatic yet firm communications
- Demonstrated commitment to valuing diversity and contributing to an inclusive working and learning environment
- Demonstrated track record of successfully addressing diversity /inclusion goals in the context of an institution of higher education or other complex organization
- Experience in Title IX compliance
- PhD or other terminal degree
- Passionate about the role DEI can play in the development of a successful institution, and the drive to make a difference
- Experience in a STEM-focused, higher education environment
- DEI experience in developing, articulating, implementing, and measuring strategic programs in higher education
- Program Management experience; demonstrated ability to design and deliver programs for a wide audience, ideally demonstrating experience in organizational behavior change
- Demonstrated success in metrics-driven environment; experience with data analytics preferred
Diversified Search Group has been retained by the New Jersey Institute of Technology to assist in this recruitment process. Applications, nominations, and further inquiries should be submitted electronically and in confidence to Euris Belle, Managing Director, at NJITCDO@divsearch.com.
As an EEO employer NJIT is committed to building a diverse and inclusive teaching, research, and working environment and strongly encourages applications from individuals with disabilities, minorities, veterans, and women. Diversity is a core value of NJIT, and we are committed to make diversity, equity and inclusion, part of everything we do. We celebrate the diversity of our university community and recognize the cultural and personal differences. We strive to cultivate an inclusive campus culture that promotes excellence among our faculty, staff and students. Building a robust and diverse community is critical to NJIT’s continuing status as a premier institution of higher education and a leading polytechnic university.
Apply for Chief Diversity Officer
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly