The Associate Vice President, Business Operations serves as the
University’s Chief Accounting Officer and Controller, works to
provide leadership for all departments within the Business
Operations unit including: Auxiliary Services, Procurement and
Contract Administration, General Accounting, Accounts Payable,
Student Business Services and General Support Services. The
successful candidate will lead the unit with a commitment to
improving processes, and leading change. Understands
and carries out the Strategic Plan of University of Houston-Clear
Lake; formulates goals and objectives that align with the overall
mission of the institution.
- Provides leadership to various functions within Business
Operations including; Auxiliary Services, Procurement and Contract
Administration, General Accounting, Accounts Payable, Student
Business Services and General Support Services with focus on
process improvement, customer service, staff development, and
- Advises Vice President of Administration and Finance on matters
related to capital planning, the financial impact of university
initiatives on existing resources, alignment with strategic and
operational priorities of the University and opportunities to
enhance revenues and decrease expenses.
- Provide leadership regarding the development of staff and
processes, planning, implementation, and monitoring of financial
management systems, internal controls, policies and procedures of
the University to ensure assets are safeguarded, accounts are
efficiently and appropriately maintained, and financial data is
- Provides oversight of Annual Financial Report and various other
internal, state and federal required reports’ in compliance with
GAAP, GASB, UH System, Federal and State of Texas Financial
Reporting requirements. Negotiate various university-wide
- Participate actively and provide expert assistance in the
strategic development, implementation, and operation of the
University’s business operations practices and procedures. Lead and
serve on university committees focused on strategy and operational
- Assumes additional duties on behalf of the Vice President of
Administration and Finance.
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Business, Accounting or a related
- Progressively responsible administrative experience directly
related to the duties and responsibilities described in a higher
- Experience in maximizing fiscal and human resources, effective
problem-solving skills, and an innovative program development
approach with evidence of change-oriented leadership
- Record of accomplishment as a financial and business director
with excellent interpersonal skills that encourage collaboration
and development of direct reports.
- Working knowledge of GASB standards and GAAP accounting
- Demonstrated leadership, supervisory skills, and insight to
lead and develop others.
- Ability to review and assess the operational and financial
viability of new and existing contractual agreements and
- Comprehensive knowledge and understanding of Federal and State
financial laws, regulations, and operating guidelines as they
pertain to public institutions of higher education.
- Working knowledge of NACUBO (National Association of College
and University Business Officers), SACUBO (Southern Association of
College and University Business Officers), and TASCUBO (Texas
Association of State Senior College & University Business
Master’s degree or CPA.
Experience as a financial and business operations administrator
in higher education.
Certified Public Accountant (CPA), or Certified Management