Associate Vice President, Business Operations
The Associate Vice President, Business Operations serves as the University’s Chief Accounting Officer and Controller, works to provide leadership for all departments within the Business Operations unit including: Auxiliary Services, Procurement and Contract Administration, General Accounting, Accounts Payable, Student Business Services and General Support Services. The successful candidate will lead the unit with a commitment to improving processes, and leading change. Understands and carries out the Strategic Plan of University of Houston-Clear Lake; formulates goals and objectives that align with the overall mission of the institution.
- Provides leadership to various functions within Business Operations including; Auxiliary Services, Procurement and Contract Administration, General Accounting, Accounts Payable, Student Business Services and General Support Services with focus on process improvement, customer service, staff development, and compliance.
- Advises Vice President of Administration and Finance on matters related to capital planning, the financial impact of university initiatives on existing resources, alignment with strategic and operational priorities of the University and opportunities to enhance revenues and decrease expenses.
- Provide leadership regarding the development of staff and processes, planning, implementation, and monitoring of financial management systems, internal controls, policies and procedures of the University to ensure assets are safeguarded, accounts are efficiently and appropriately maintained, and financial data is accurate.
- Provides oversight of Annual Financial Report and various other internal, state and federal required reports’ in compliance with GAAP, GASB, UH System, Federal and State of Texas Financial Reporting requirements. Negotiate various university-wide contracts.
- Participate actively and provide expert assistance in the strategic development, implementation, and operation of the University’s business operations practices and procedures. Lead and serve on university committees focused on strategy and operational policy.
- Assumes additional duties on behalf of the Vice President of Administration and Finance.
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Business, Accounting or a related field.
- Progressively responsible administrative experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities described in a higher education environment.
- Experience in maximizing fiscal and human resources, effective problem-solving skills, and an innovative program development approach with evidence of change-oriented leadership skills.
- Record of accomplishment as a financial and business director with excellent interpersonal skills that encourage collaboration and development of direct reports.
- Working knowledge of GASB standards and GAAP accounting principles.
- Demonstrated leadership, supervisory skills, and insight to lead and develop others.
- Ability to review and assess the operational and financial viability of new and existing contractual agreements and proposals.
- Comprehensive knowledge and understanding of Federal and State financial laws, regulations, and operating guidelines as they pertain to public institutions of higher education.
- Working knowledge of NACUBO (National Association of College and University Business Officers), SACUBO (Southern Association of College and University Business Officers), and TASCUBO (Texas Association of State Senior College & University Business Officers).
Master’s degree or CPA.
Experience as a financial and business operations administrator in higher education.
Certified Public Accountant (CPA), or Certified Management Accountant (CMA).