WAMU 88.5 is the leading public radio station in the greater
Washington, D.C. area, and home to a growing podcast portfolio,
including Through The Cracks, What’s With Washington, Dish City,
and Diane Rehm’s On My Mind. We’re also home to DCist, our digital
outlet for local news, and 1A, a national daily news and current
events talk show carried by more than 430 public radio stations
across the country. We provide accountability and enterprise
reporting alongside essential news, information, and service
journalism with the goals of reflecting and serving the diverse
communities of our region.
The Executive Producer, Podcasts leads the podcast team at WAMU at
every stage, from acquiring and greenlighting new shows and
on-demand audio projects through product launch and regular
publication. They will champion podcasting and on-demand audio at
WAMU, establish milestones, build a collaborative team, and develop
long-term strategies to build on WAMU’s early success in the
on-demand space. They are committed to upholding the mission of
public media and expanding WAMU’s reach by creating unique content
that targets communities currently underserved by WAMU’s
programming. The Executive Producer is responsible for guiding
WAMU’s investments in the on-demand space, including overseeing the
department’s greenlighting process, recruiting new talent to the
podcast team, and coordinating overarching strategies for audience
and revenue growth with other WAMU departments, such as
underwriting, membership and marketing. They are responsible for
establishing priorities within the podcast team, setting a
publishing cadence for each show, and balancing the budgets of
The Executive Producer, Podcasts will drive our podcast strategy
and vision and collaborate with the station’s Chief Content
Officer, Growth Editor, Marketing and Engagement teams and other
stakeholders to ensure innovation in our podcasts as well as
audience and revenue growth. The Executive Producer manages the Pod
Shop team, which includes senior producers, producers, podcast
hosts, associate producers and project managers. This position
reports directly to the Chief Content Officer and is part of WAMU’s
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
- The Executive Producer develops long-term plans, annual release
schedule and overarching strategy and guidelines for new and
existing on-demand audio projects. They help create the overall
identity, sound, and purpose—and define the audience—for WAMU’s
podcasts and special projects, and help refine and implement WAMU’s
podcasting strategy. Guides workflow planning and hiring to meet
the needs of each podcast and manages production budgets. Oversees
new show development, offers periodic feedback on audio, ensures
that all final products are of the highest production value and
uphold WAMU Podcasts’ compelling editorial vision and overall
- Grow and manage podcasting team. Mentors and manages all team
members to ensure they have the necessary skills, opportunities,
and guidance to effectively perform, and grow in, their role.
Recruit new talent, oversee greenlighting process so that WAMU can
actively invest in new shows to expand our portfolio and expand our
overall podcast audience.
- Collaborate with newsroom and other content departments to
evaluate strategies for long-term growth in the digital and
on-demand space, establish workflows that support interdepartmental
projects, and execute on-going, limited-run series seasonal and/or
timely podcasts that reflect the station’s mission and principles
and help us engage with new and under-served audiences.
- The Executive Producer collaborates across departments (such as
Engineering, Underwriting, Membership and Development, Marketing
and Audience Engagement, and Business Administration) to ensure
that all teams are aligned on overarching strategies to produce,
grow revenue, promote, engage audience, prioritize and invest in
- Leads and implements the stations’ podcasting strategy to help
us not only grow our podcast offerings but to also produce content
that is fresh and innovative and aimed at and engaging with new and
Required Education and Experience
- Full time
- Function Leader A
Preferred Education and Experience
- 8-10 years of relevant experience
- Demonstrated track record of developing, launching and leading
production on successful podcasts or other digital-first
- At least 5 years of experience managing a team with a broad
range of skills, backgrounds and experiences.
- Commitment to creating content for underserved communities, as
well as diversifying the sound of public media and the people who
- Experience editing longform audio stories.
- Creative thinker with a passion for audio production and
storytelling. Not afraid to take creative risks and empower the
team to do so as well.
- Deep understanding of the digital media landscape, what drives
audiences and podcast listening, and trends in audio
- Experience leading and managing production teams, including the
day-to-day operations of multiple shows/podcasts.
- Experience in establishing workflows and best practices that
empower your team to bring a broader vision to life and
- Experience working collaboratively with creative and editorial
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- Strong journalistic judgement and integrity
- Strong attention to detail, time management and organization
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
- Master's degree or equivalent
- 10+ years of relevant experience
- Successful experience managing a creative team and mentoring
inexperienced producers and reporters.
- Experience producing more than one genre of content (talk show,
news, documentary, comedy, game show, etc)
- Superb audio editing, with experience in one or more editing
platforms (Audition, Hindenberg, ProTools, etc.).
- Experience creating and producing an audio product from scratch
on a firm deadline, with the proven ability to create and execute a
solid production plan.
- Dedication to fostering a trusting team that collaborates often
and values direct, empathetic feedback
- Highly organized with the ability to manage several complex
projects simultaneously and assimilate large amounts of information
efficiently under daily deadline pressures.
- Experience orchestrating a podcast or new property launch.
- Experience working with content management systems (CMS).
- Proven commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion – in
storytelling and as a member of a diverse team
- Occasional domestic travel may be required.
- Hiring offers for this position are contingent on successful
completion of a background check.
- To ensure the health and safety of our community AU requires
COVID-19 vaccinations for faculty and staff. Click here to learn
more about our health and safety directive.
Current American University Employees:
- Click here to learn about American University's unique benefit
If you are a current full-time or part-time staff member at
American University, please log intoAsuccessfulU through themyAU
portal . Once in AsuccessfulU, please select the Careers tile which
will take you to our internal career page.
For more information or assistance with the American University
careers site, email email@example.com .
American University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action
institution that operates in compliance with applicable laws and
regulations. The university does not discriminate on the basis of
race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy),
age, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, personal
appearance, gender identity and expression, family
responsibilities, political affiliation, source of income, veteran
status, an individual’s genetic information or any other bases
under federal or local laws (collectively "Protected Bases") in its
programs and activities.
Nearest Major Market: