Executive Producer, Podcasts (17214)
WAMU 88.5 is the leading public radio station in the greater Washington, D.C. area, and home to a growing podcast portfolio, including Through The Cracks, What’s With Washington, Dish City, and Diane Rehm’s On My Mind. We’re also home to DCist, our digital outlet for local news, and 1A, a national daily news and current events talk show carried by more than 430 public radio stations across the country. We provide accountability and enterprise reporting alongside essential news, information, and service journalism with the goals of reflecting and serving the diverse communities of our region.
The Executive Producer, Podcasts leads the podcast team at WAMU at every stage, from acquiring and greenlighting new shows and on-demand audio projects through product launch and regular publication. They will champion podcasting and on-demand audio at WAMU, establish milestones, build a collaborative team, and develop long-term strategies to build on WAMU’s early success in the on-demand space. They are committed to upholding the mission of public media and expanding WAMU’s reach by creating unique content that targets communities currently underserved by WAMU’s programming. The Executive Producer is responsible for guiding WAMU’s investments in the on-demand space, including overseeing the department’s greenlighting process, recruiting new talent to the podcast team, and coordinating overarching strategies for audience and revenue growth with other WAMU departments, such as underwriting, membership and marketing. They are responsible for establishing priorities within the podcast team, setting a publishing cadence for each show, and balancing the budgets of multiple projects.
The Executive Producer, Podcasts will drive our podcast strategy and vision and collaborate with the station’s Chief Content Officer, Growth Editor, Marketing and Engagement teams and other stakeholders to ensure innovation in our podcasts as well as audience and revenue growth. The Executive Producer manages the Pod Shop team, which includes senior producers, producers, podcast hosts, associate producers and project managers. This position reports directly to the Chief Content Officer and is part of WAMU’s Content division.
- The Executive Producer develops long-term plans, annual release schedule and overarching strategy and guidelines for new and existing on-demand audio projects. They help create the overall identity, sound, and purpose—and define the audience—for WAMU’s podcasts and special projects, and help refine and implement WAMU’s podcasting strategy. Guides workflow planning and hiring to meet the needs of each podcast and manages production budgets. Oversees new show development, offers periodic feedback on audio, ensures that all final products are of the highest production value and uphold WAMU Podcasts’ compelling editorial vision and overall mission.
- Grow and manage podcasting team. Mentors and manages all team members to ensure they have the necessary skills, opportunities, and guidance to effectively perform, and grow in, their role. Recruit new talent, oversee greenlighting process so that WAMU can actively invest in new shows to expand our portfolio and expand our overall podcast audience.
- Collaborate with newsroom and other content departments to evaluate strategies for long-term growth in the digital and on-demand space, establish workflows that support interdepartmental projects, and execute on-going, limited-run series seasonal and/or timely podcasts that reflect the station’s mission and principles and help us engage with new and under-served audiences.
- The Executive Producer collaborates across departments (such as Engineering, Underwriting, Membership and Development, Marketing and Audience Engagement, and Business Administration) to ensure that all teams are aligned on overarching strategies to produce, grow revenue, promote, engage audience, prioritize and invest in on-demand projects.
- Leads and implements the stations’ podcasting strategy to help us not only grow our podcast offerings but to also produce content that is fresh and innovative and aimed at and engaging with new and under-served audiences.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
- Full time
- Function Leader A
Required Education and Experience
- 8-10 years of relevant experience
- Demonstrated track record of developing, launching and leading production on successful podcasts or other digital-first products.
- At least 5 years of experience managing a team with a broad range of skills, backgrounds and experiences.
- Commitment to creating content for underserved communities, as well as diversifying the sound of public media and the people who make it.
- Experience editing longform audio stories.
- Creative thinker with a passion for audio production and storytelling. Not afraid to take creative risks and empower the team to do so as well.
- Deep understanding of the digital media landscape, what drives audiences and podcast listening, and trends in audio storytelling.
- Experience leading and managing production teams, including the day-to-day operations of multiple shows/podcasts.
- Experience in establishing workflows and best practices that empower your team to bring a broader vision to life and thrive.
- Experience working collaboratively with creative and editorial talent.
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- Strong journalistic judgement and integrity
- Strong attention to detail, time management and organization skills.
Preferred Education and Experience
- Master's degree or equivalent
- 10+ years of relevant experience
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
- Successful experience managing a creative team and mentoring inexperienced producers and reporters.
- Experience producing more than one genre of content (talk show, news, documentary, comedy, game show, etc)
- Superb audio editing, with experience in one or more editing platforms (Audition, Hindenberg, ProTools, etc.).
- Experience creating and producing an audio product from scratch on a firm deadline, with the proven ability to create and execute a solid production plan.
- Dedication to fostering a trusting team that collaborates often and values direct, empathetic feedback
- Highly organized with the ability to manage several complex projects simultaneously and assimilate large amounts of information efficiently under daily deadline pressures.
- Experience orchestrating a podcast or new property launch.
- Experience working with content management systems (CMS).
- Proven commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion – in storytelling and as a member of a diverse team
- Occasional domestic travel may be required.
- Click here to learn about American University's unique benefit options.
Current American University Employees:
If you are a current full-time or part-time staff member at American University, please log intoAsuccessfulU through themyAU portal . Once in AsuccessfulU, please select the Careers tile which will take you to our internal career page.
For more information or assistance with the American University careers site, email firstname.lastname@example.org .
American University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution that operates in compliance with applicable laws and regulations. The university does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, personal appearance, gender identity and expression, family responsibilities, political affiliation, source of income, veteran status, an individual’s genetic information or any other bases under federal or local laws (collectively "Protected Bases") in its programs and activities.
Nearest Major Market: Washington DC
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Executive Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Communications Executive Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Broadcasting Executive Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Digital Media Executive Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Media Studies Executive Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.