Grant Development Specialist (17225)
The Grant Development Specialist position supports the Center for University Excellence/PERIL faculty and staff seeking funding for research, education, service, training, and other programs from government agencies, corporations, private foundations, and other funders. This pre-award position interacts with representatives of the full range of extramural funding sources (such as federal, state, private, and international) and their prime role is that of facilitating grant and contract submissions and ensuring compliance with sponsor and university requirements. The function is focused on the review, verification, and compliance checking of proposal documents routed via the University's electronic submission system, Cayuse 434/SP, prior to OSP approval/submission to the external sponsor. The Grant Development Specialist provides in a collegial and proactive manner timely and essential assistance to faculty and administrators in securing grants and contacts.
1. Assist in writing organizational, administrative, and financial sections of the proposal customized to the funding source. These writing tasks include a targeted capability statement matched to the topic and funding agency, the written budget narrative, preparing customized bio-sketches, assisting with letters of support, crafting the proposal executive summary, preparing the bibliography, and verifying references.
2. Assist in preparing visual preparation of tables, graphs, and charts necessary for the proposal. These include working with the PI in preparing the project timeline, datasets, and graphics that assist in making the proposal’s compelling argument – essential for nationally competitive proposals.
3. Assist in preparing and collecting allied documents required by the agency. These include the budget and review of staffing with the PI, ensuring the preparation style fits the format requirements of the funder, assembling CVs, and completing the required administrative forms requested by the agency.
Essential Functions Continued
4. Assist in editing the final document. This requires a complete review of the particular application noting specific requirements before the release to OSP, a careful review such that all materials are included, no glaring errors exist, and typographic errors are caught and corrected. This is a time-sensitive task done under pressure.
5. On multi-investigator projects involving several institutions, serve as a proposal project coordinator utilizing the software designed for team-based grant production. Writing assignments are made with submission dates, coordination of components across institutions is orchestrated allowing the investigators to focus on the content of the proposal and their overall contribution. Oversee the flow of materials and assist in assembling the final document.
6. Other duties as assigned by the PI or supervisor. This may include assistance with compliance tasks and assistance with post-awards grant administration activities when necessary.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
- Workweek Schedule: 28 hours
- This is a union-eligible position. The union-eligibility of individual position incumbents will be determined based on the incumbent’s employer of record.
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent in Research, Finance, Public Administration; or closely related field
- 3-5 years of relevant experience
- Experience initiating, developing, and bringing grant and contract proposals to completion/submission
Preferred Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree in Research, Finance, Public Administration; or closely related field
- 3-5 years of relevant experience
- Experience initiating, developing, and bringing grant and contract proposals to completion/submission in an institution of higher education..
- Experience with Cayuse and business intelligence tools preferred
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
- Knowledge of appropriate federal rules pertaining to the administration and management of sponsored grants and contracts and strong knowledge of funding sources required
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain collaborative working relationships with faculty and staff and demonstrated ability to work in a team environment required
- Excellent writing and editing skills required
- Excellent analytical, computer literacy skills, and high attention to detail required.
- A high degree of customer service, analytical and communications skills
- Familiarity with research environments and the research support infrastructure.
- Hiring offers for this position are contingent on successful completion of a background check.
- Click here to learn about American University's unique benefit options
Current American University Employees:
If you are a current full-time or part-time staff member at American University, please log intoAsuccessfulU through themyAU portal . Once in AsuccessfulU, please select the Careers tile which will take you to our internal career page.
For more information or assistance with the American University careers site, email firstname.lastname@example.org .
American University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution that operates in compliance with applicable laws and regulations. The university does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, personal appearance, gender identity and expression, family responsibilities, political affiliation, source of income, veteran status, an individual’s genetic information or any other bases under federal or local laws (collectively "Protected Bases") in its programs and activities.
Nearest Major Market: Washington DC
More searches like this
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Academic Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Research Administration Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Other Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.