Director of Brand Strategy, Marketing and Communications
The University of Montana is seeking a Director of Brand Strategy (Director) to oversee brand strategy for the institution, including the development of comprehensive strategies around our audiences, messaging, voice, and positioning. Reporting to the Vice President of Marketing Communications, the Director will be a creative and analytical leader with a proven track record in campaign development, brand and product marketing, storytelling and driving brand performance. As the Director, you will oversee a wide variety of special projects, ensure effective implementation of the brand across campus, and contribute to measuring campaign and marketing effectiveness.
The University of Montana is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and has a strong institutional commitment to the principle of diversity in all areas. In that spirit, we are particularly interested in receiving applications from a broad spectrum of qualified people who would assist the University in demonstrating its five priorities for action : Place student success at the center of all we do; drive excellence and innovation in teaching, learning, and research; embody the principle of “mission first, people always"; partner with place; and proudly tell the UM story.
- Contribute to brand strategy and oversee the execution of breakthrough integrated marketing programs that build brand awareness, affinity, and enrollment
- Ensure the brand promise is being met at every stage of the student lifecycle
- Act as a storytelling expert, crafting marketing strategies and insights-driven creative briefs that inspire cross-functional partners to deliver results-oriented, brand differentiating work
- Work with Enrollment Management, Admissions, Student Success, and Executive leadership to understand their needs and capitalize on content creation opportunities to ensure a cohesive and consistent student journey
- Lead advertising and media buying strategy, finding innovative opportunities to maximize marketing spend
- Collaborate with the Director of Trademark and Licensing to develop product positioning that inspires brand affinity
- Understanding of storytelling across mediums including print, digital, traditional, and social
- Work closely with the Digital Strategy and Innovation team to develop a deep knowledge of our target audience and routinely understand the effectiveness of our marketing programs in driving core metrics like brand awareness, enrollment, engagement, and affinity
- Mentor and coach team members within and outside of Marketing Communications sector
- Oversee agency and vendor partners in building and protecting the University of Montana brand
- Develop creative strategy to drive enrollment, brand reputation, and affinity
- Partner with research to segment audiences and build personas that articulate to student type and lifecycle stage
- Anticipate, understand, and respond to reputational risks and opportunities
- Devise audience journeys to support lead generation and other conversion goals
- Facilitate workshops and briefings with cross-functional teams to inform strategy and activations
Success in this position requires the candidate to exhibit the following characteristics and skills:
- Service-Oriented: Focus on providing excellent internal customer service while championing the brand
- Analytical Skills: Able to structure and process qualitative or quantitative data and draw insightful conclusions from it; exhibits a probing mind and achieves penetrating insights
- Innovator: Challenges the status quo, champions change, and influences others to change
- Listening: This person will have a strong voice, but their true strength will be in listening and valuing other’s voices no matter their level, title, or stature
- Collaboration: Deep understanding that the brand belongs to everyone, and that this position is a conduit for the brand
- Accountable: Exhibits an ownership work ethic, holds themselves and others accountable
- Position is full-time, 1.0 FTE, MUS Contract and includes a comprehensive and competitive benefits package including Insurance package, mandatory retirement plan, partial tuition waiver, and wellness program.
- Salary for this position is $95,000 per year.
- Minimum of 10+ years of brand marketing, advertising, or public relations experience and bachelor’s degree or an equivalent combination of experience and education
- Team management with experience managing a minimum of 2 direct reports
- Knowledge of supervisory practices and procedures with the ability to lead a team
- Proven ability to lead, build relationships, and work effectively in a cross-functional team environment
- A self-starter mentality; comfortable with ambiguity
- Ability to think creatively and strategically
- Exceptional project management experience and attention to detail
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong presentation, negotiation, influencing and persuasion skills at all levels
- Understanding of brand hierarchies; ability to work between university brand, colleges, departments and programs
- Ability to give constructive feedback to content creators, creatives and leadership
- Takes initiative to teach campus stakeholders about branding, initiatives and activations
- Passion for great creative work and complex problem solving
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Higher education background
About UM and the Marketing and Communications Sector
The University of Montana is flagship, research institution with more than 9,000 undergraduate and graduate students. It is located in Missoula, a culturally vibrant community of about 75,000, surrounded by mountains and three rivers converge. Abundant recreational opportunities in surrounding state and national forests and nearby Glacier National Park and Yellowstone National Park complement a thriving intellectual atmosphere.
UM's Marketing and Communications sector ensures communication across campus and beyond is open, proactive, clear and responsive. We aim to help the University and its members communicate effectively with one another and with our many stakeholders off campus.
The Marketing and Communications sector includes Marketing, University Relations and UM News, Trademarks and Licensing and the Broadcast Media Center (public radio and public television). In addition, this sector ensures the University has a coordinated marketing and communications approach with Intercollegiate Athletics and the University of Montana Foundation.
To learn more about the University of Montana, Missoula, and the State of Montana, please visit the links below.
- University of Montana
- City of Missoula
- The State of Montana
Criminal Background Investigation is required prior to Offer of Employment.
In accordance with University policy, finalists for this position will be subject to criminal background investigations.
Reasonable accommodations are provided in the hiring process for persons with disabilities. For example, this material is available in alternative format upon request. As an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, we encourage applications from minorities, veterans, and women. Qualified candidates may request veterans’ or disabilities preference in accordance with state law.
References *References not listed on the application materials may be contacted; notice may be provided to the applicant.
Testing Individual hiring departments at UM may elect to administer pre-employment tests, which are relevant to essential job functions.
Employment Eligibility. All New Employees must be eligible and show employment eligibility verification by the first date of employment at UM, as legally required (e.g., Form I-9).
How to Apply
Priority Application Date: August 15, 2021
Applications received by this date will be guaranteed consideration. Application review will begin after date above and continue until the position is filled.
Please submit the following application materials via "New Resume/CV" button below.
*Please note: only five (5) attachments are allowed per application. Please combine documents accordingly.
- Letter of Interest – addressing the stated required skills for the position
- Detailed resume listing education and describing work experience
- Three (3) professional references - Names and contact information
Job Location Missoula, Montana, United States
Position Type Full-Time/Regular