Senior Project Manager, Montana World Trade Center
The Montana World Trade Center (MWTC) seeks an experienced Senior Project Manager (SPM) to lead execution of the Montana Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) Strategy Project (.75FTE) and assist with execution of other Montana World Trade Center initiatives designed to grow Montana’s international trade portfolio (.25FTE). Execution of these duties will be over a two-year period.
Montana Foreign Direct Investment Strategy Project is an actionable plan to attract investment from foreign sources into Montana. This investment may be in the form of equity investment or greenfield development.
The majority of SPM’s time (.75FTE) will be dedicated to implementing and refining Phases II, III, and IV of the Montana FDI strategy project developed by Montana World Trade Center. SPM will be responsible for daily FDI strategy project management, ensuring that all FDI strategy project activities outlined in the associated EDA scope of work are executed as planned. SPM responsibilities are anticipated to include management of strategic partner and vendor interactions to ensure timely and successful execution of project deliverables; organization of and participation in events/meetings with FDI prospects based in the U.S. and abroad; oversight of additional FDI content development for print, video and website platforms; and updating strategic elements of the FDI plan and approach to reflect experiences gained, successes and challenges faced during project implementation. SPM will be further responsible for compiling and delivering all MWTC, UM, EDA and external reporting on activities and budget required for the FDI strategy project and will oversee a .25FTE Project Outreach Coordinator as well as an AmeriCorps Vista who will be supporting MWTC’s FDI attraction efforts.
SPM will also dedicate .25FTE to execution of other Montana World Trade Center initiatives designed to grow Montana’s international trade portfolio. Typical examples of these activities are coordination of inbound and outbound trade missions, trade forums.
SPM will work under the guidance of the Executive Director of the Montana World Trade Center for all facets of the SPM role. This position requires a high degree of initiative and independence in managing project resources to achieve successful outcomes and deliverables.
The University of Montana is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and has a strong institutional commitment to the principle of diversity in all areas. In that spirit, we are particularly interested in receiving applications from a broad spectrum of qualified people who would assist the University in demonstrating its five priorities for action : Place student success at the center of all we do; drive excellence and innovation in teaching, learning, and research; embody the principle of “mission first, people always"; partner with place; and proudly tell the UM story.
- Position is full-time, 1.0 FTE, Letter of Appointment and includes a comprehensive and competitive benefits package including Insurance package, mandatory retirement plan, partial tuition waiver, and wellness program.
- Salary for this position is $55,000 per year commensurate with qualifications.
- Worksite flexible within the state of Montana.
- Periodic travel to Missoula or elsewhere in state anticipated.
- Working knowledge of Montana’s primary and emerging industry sectors and clusters or ability to quickly learn and apply knowledge
- Ability to build working relationships with EDOs and industry leaders across the state to identify FDI opportunities
- Ability to effectively promote and provide messaging for FDI opportunities
- Ability to identify and influence potential FDI prospects to deliver these opportunities to Montana
- Professional communication and interpersonal skills and ability work effectively with a wide variety of people
- Demonstrated organizational skills and ability run a team to meet deadlines, including team members (e.g. contractors and/or other employees) who may be working in different locations
- Problem-solving skills and ability to make decisions on a day-to-day basis that will advance the project within the larger context of organizational goals and priorities
- Empathetic and ability to inspire other team members to take initiative
- Skill in the operation of personal computers and software including the Microsoft Office Suite
- Knowledge of supervisory practices and procedures with the ability to lead a team
- Ability to exercise diplomacy and good judgment
- Applicants will benefit from experience in economic development, business development, community development, international trade and investment, trade show participation, and trade mission development and participation
- Master’s Degree in Business Administration or Public Administration
- Working knowledge of Montana’s Economic Development Organizations (EDOs) and resources
- Working knowledge of Montana’s existing primary and emerging industry sectors and clusters, and awareness of regional competencies and industry resources
- High level of experience in managing inbound and outbound international trade delegations
- High level of experience in effectively promoting diverse Montana industries at international trade shows
- High level of experience representing Montana’s FDI opportunities to a global audience
- Existing relationships with Montana EDOs, Montana Department of Commerce, Montana Manufacturing Extension Center, and Governor’s Office of Economic Development
- Experience leading branding, messaging, and outreach activities for export and FDI markets
About UM and the Montana World Trade Center
UM is a flagship, research institution with more than 9,000 undergraduate and graduate students. It is located in Missoula, a culturally vibrant community of about 70,000, surrounded by mountain grandeur which was recently ranked in the “ top 20 best college towns with a population of less than 250,000 ” by the American Institute for Economic Research and ranked 9th in Outside Magazine’s “ The 16 Greatest Places to Live in America ” in 2014. Many national publications recognize Missoula for its high quality of life . Abundant recreational opportunities in surrounding state and national forests and nearby Glacier National Park and Yellowstone National Park complement a thriving intellectual atmosphere.
Growing international trade and investment in Montana is central to the mission of the Montana World Trade Center (MWTC), a longstanding program of the University of Montana. MWTC is part of the World Trade Centers® Association (WTCA), which includes nearly 300 World Trade Centers® (WTCs) in 100 countries around the globe.
Montana World Trade Center is the primary organization working to bring foreign direct investment into Montana, providing significant staff time, expertise and funding to this initiative. We map existing FDI, message to a global audience about Montana’s strengths in meeting critical location factors for key industries, and coordinate participation in events designed to showcase Montana to FDI prospects.
To learn more about the University of Montana, Missoula, and the State of Montana, please visit the links below.
- University of Montana
- City of Missoula
- The State of Montana
Criminal Background Investigation is required prior to Offer of Employment.
In accordance with University policy, finalists for this position will be subject to criminal background investigations.
Reasonable accommodations are provided in the hiring process for persons with disabilities. For example, this material is available in alternative format upon request. As an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, we encourage applications from minorities, veterans, and women. Qualified candidates may request veterans’ or disabilities preference in accordance with state law.
References *References not listed on the application materials may be contacted; notice may be provided to the applicant.
Testing Individual hiring departments at UM may elect to administer pre-employment tests, which are relevant to essential job functions.
E mployment Eligibility. All New Employees must be eligible and show employment eligibility verification by the first date of employment at UM, as legally required (e.g., Form I-9).
How to Apply
Priority Application Date: Thursday , July 29, 2021
Applications received by this date will be guaranteed consideration. Application review will begin after date above and continue until the position is filled.
Please submit the following application materials via "New Resume/CV" button below.
*Please note: only five (5) attachments are allowed per application. Please combine documents accordingly.
- Letter of Interest – addressing the stated required skills for the position
- Detailed resume listing education and describing work experience
- Three (3) professional references - Names and contact information
Job Location Missoula, Montana, United States
Position Type Full-Time/Regular