Assistant Director of Employer Engagement
Assistant Director of Employer Engagement
Welcome to Furman University's Career Site!
- IMPORTANT: Load all documents in the My Experience area under Resume/CV. This may include your resume/C.V., cover letter, unofficial transcript, teaching philosophy, etc. Please wait for all documents to finish uploading before clicking Next.
- If the process times out you will lose your progress, so please ensure you have all necessary documents available before starting.
- The drop-down lists only display so many options: please type into a drop-down list to search for your option. For example: in Field of Study, you may need to enter your field name. If you have no field, type "None."
- If you have previously applied, make sure your information is current as you can transfer it to another application.
- Prior to submitting your application, verify all information for accuracy and ensure you have uploaded all appropriate documents. Once submitted, you will not be able to edit your application other than to change your contact information.
If you have any questions or need assistance, please contact the Office of Human Resources via email at
email@example.com or by calling 864-294-2217.
Assistant Director of Employer Engagement
The Malone Center for Career Engagement (MCCE) directly supports The Furman Advantage by strengthening academic partnerships, alumni and employer connections and programming to prepare students for a successful first match upon graduation. The Assistant Director for Employer Engagement reports to the Assistant Vice President of Career and Professional Development, and is responsible for advancing Furman University's Strategic Vision by developing and strengthening employer, alumni and parent relationships leading to increased quality employment opportunities for Furman students.
This position demands an innovative, self-starter that can establish and cultivate relationships with targeted employers and organizations through email campaigns, phone outreach, site visits, and networking events. In collaboration with the Assistant Vice President and other Assistant Director of Employer Engagement, develops and implements a strategic employer engagement strategy to cultivate new employer relationships and expand existing employer partnerships.
The Assistant Director will provide students with the opportunity to connect with employers, alumni, and parents through industry-specific networking events, employer information sessions, career fairs, career panels, workshops, classroom presentations, company visits, and virtual platforms. The Assistant Director is responsible for managing Handshake (Career Management System), employer engagement budget, and measuring outcomes related to overall employer and alumni engagement.
1. In collaboration with the Assistant Vice President for Career and Professional Development and other Assistant Director for Employer Engagement, develops and implements a strategic employer outreach plan to identify and increase engagement with targeted employers and organizations.
2. Establishes, cultivates and maintains relationships with targeted employers, alumni, and parents resulting in increased local, national, and global job opportunities for Furman talent.
3. Conducts employer outreach calls and travels to key recruitment markets to conduct onsite visits with current and prospective employer contacts to increase engagement and employment connections for Furman students and alumni.
4. Maintains accurate database of employer connections, outreach efforts, and engagement with students.
5. In collaboration with Marketing, Events, & Operations Coordinator, develops ongoing marketing materials to bring greater visibility of Furman University to relevant employers and industries.
6. Collaborates with Development Office and Office of Alumni and Parent Engagement to identify and target prospective employers and industries that align with student's majors, career interests, and geographic preferences.
7. Represents Malone Center for Career Engagement at Furman events including regional alumni events, homecoming, and family weekend.
8. Manages annual budget for employer outreach.
9. Manages on-campus recruiting activities including on-campus interviews, employer information sessions, and career fairs and networking events.
10. In collaboration with career advisors, connects employers directly to students through student organization meetings, classroom presentations, career panels, workshops and webinars.
11. Coordinates the company site visits and alumni reception component of the Career Trek program, providing students with the opportunity to participate in company site visits and network with alumni, recruiters, and other professionals in a variety of industries in multiple geographic locations.
12. Collaborates with the Marketing, Events & Operations Coordinator to effectively communicate employment opportunities and recruitment events to students and faculty.
Technology & Program Assessment
13. Responsible for managing the Center's Career Management System (CMS), Handshake, including marketing effectively to the campus community and training staff and employers with utilization of CMS. Serves as the Center's primary liaison to CMS vendor.
14. Reviews and approves companies, job postings, and employer events in Handshake; communicates appropriate job opportunities to career advisors.
15. Responsible for updating and managing employer content on Malone Center's website.
16. Identifies and leverages existing and emerging technology solutions to create opportunities for students and employer to connect virtually.
17. Develops and manages a dashboard of metrics for employer engagement and recruiting activities.
18. Generates monthly and annual reports of employer engagement activity.
Other Administrative Duties:
19. Pursues professional development to keep pace with demands for services and information; including maintaining up-to-date information about the Center and the University.
20. Serves on other campus committees as assigned.
21. Performs other duties as assigned by the Assistant Vice President of Career and Professional Development in support of the goals and objectives of the Division of Student Life. The intent of this job classification description is to provide a representative summary of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions in this classification and shall not be construed as a declaration of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be requested to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically present in this description.
Daily contact with members of own work unit, immediate supervisors, students, faculty and families to plan, coordinate, problem solve, present information related to mutual goals.
Frequent contact with campus departments to plan, coordinate, problem solve, present information related to mutual goals.
Responsibility for Final Decisions:
Reviews work to ensure compliance with procedures and deadlines.
Tasks involve interpretation of data and/or procedures to address problems or situations that are not clearly defined. Work involves non-routine/diverse work not defined by procedures.
Tasks involve multiple procedures with interrelated processes or steps. Work involves choosing the appropriate option or procedure to follow and applying established rules and procedures.
Errors may be detected within the department or section in which they occur but may affect the work of others within the unit to trace errors and make corrections.
Reports To: Assistant Vice President of Career and Professional Development
Work is performed independently on routine work, non-routine issues or questions are referred to the supervisor. Classification and shall not be construed as a declaration of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be requested to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically present in this description.
Bachelor's Degree and at least three years of experience in business development, account management, employer relations, recruiting, career counseling, human resources or related industry experience required. Master's degree preferred.
Exceptional relationship management skills that have produced successful and measurable results.
Excellent interpersonal, presentation and customer service skills.
Team player, able to work effectively with others. Demonstrated ability to interact with employers, students, alumni, parents, administrators, faculty, and other constituents within a diverse multicultural environment.
Excellent oral and written communication skills.
Demonstrated ability to plan, organize, and implement events with complex logistics involving multiple tasks and priorities. Ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
Preference given to candidates with University Career Center experience with proven track record of engaging industry/alumni for the benefit of successful student outcomes.
Desired experience using Career Management System tools (Handshake, Symplicity, GradLeader, etc.)
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Demonstrated skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with employers, alumni, parents, students, faculty, administrators and staff
Experience sourcing and cultivating employer contacts
Demonstrated ability to plan, organize, and implement projects with complex logistics involving multiple tasks and priorities
Excellent public speaking and presentation skills
Knowledge of employment trends and current job market information
Understanding of local, state and federal labor markets
Understanding of cultural diversity issues
Ability to work positively and effectively within teams and with diverse populations
Ability to work with MS-based software packages, including Word, Access, PowerPoint and Excel
Availability for frequent travel; willingness to work a variable schedule including nights and weekends
Work is performed under usual office conditions.
Please submit a cover letter and resume with your application. The deadline to apply is August 1st.
Job Posting End Date (if date is blank, posting is open ended):
To apply, visit https://furman.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/Furman_Careers/job/Main-Campus/Assistant-Director-of-Employer-Engagement_R001247
Furman is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty and staff. The University aspires to create a community of people representing a multiplicity of identities including gender, race, religion, spiritual belief, sexual orientation, geographic origin, socioeconomic background, ideology, world view, and varied abilities. Domestic partners of employees are eligible for comprehensive benefits.