Assistant Professor, Educator
Assistant Professor, Educator
Founded in 1819, the University of Cincinnati embarks upon its third century – building on the past and defining the future by leading urban, public universities into a new era of innovation and impact through its strategic direction, Next Lives Here. Underscoring the power of creativity, ingenuity, invention and inclusion, what’s Next will accelerate our unrivaled momentum, evidenced by eight straight years of record enrollment and rankings that include placement among America’s top 100 public universities by U.S. News & World Report. Home to a diverse student body of nearly 47,000 and more than 4,200 distinguished faculty, the university combines its Research 1 (Very High Research Activity) Carnegie Classification with a physical setting that The New York Times recently acclaimed as “the most ambitious campus design program in the country.
About the School of Information
The SoIT confers an ABET accredited Bachelor of Science in Information Technology (BSIT), Bachelor of Science in Cybersecurity (BSCyber), a Master of Science in Information Technology (MSIT), and a Doctor of Philosophy in Information Technology (PhDIT). Courses in the SoIT cover specialization tracks of Cybersecurity, Software Application Development, Networking/Systems, Game Development & Simulation, and Data Technologies. Furthermore, the SoIT confers a minor in Information Technology and several undergraduate and post graduate certificates. The SoIT has been growing at 18% annually and currently serves more than 1,200 students with 26 full-time faculty members, 23 full-time staff, 30 part-time faculty. The SoIT is home to an NSA/DHS Center for Academic Excellence in Cyber Defense, Ohio Cyber Range Institute, Information Technology Solutions Center, Civic Technology Lab, and Applied Machine Learning and Intelligence Lab.
The SoIT is a diverse, interdisciplinary, team-oriented, dynamic and entrepreneurial environment. It empowers individuals to become passionate, solution-minded Information Technology professionals by fostering continuous innovation, research, leadership development, interdisciplinary problem solving, and real-world experience. More information about the SoIT can be found at http://cech.uc.edu/it.
The School of Information Technology (SoIT) at the University of Cincinnati (UC) seeks to hire two Assistant Professor, Educators with primary responsibilities in teaching in one or two areas related to Information Technology including, in order of priority, Cybersecurity, Data Technologies, Software Application Development, Networking/Systems, and Game Development & Simulation to start in August 2022.
An Assistant Professor at the University of Cincinnati is expected to teach, conduct research, scholarly and other professional or creative activities. This position will support the University of Cincinnati’s mission and commitment to excellence and diversity in our students, faculty, staff, and all of our activities. Responsibilities of Assistant Professors are defined in the University contract with the AAUP, available at https://www.uc.edu/about/provost/faculty/aaup.html.
- Conduct and teach assigned undergraduate and/or graduate-level courses and seminars.
- Attend meetings, participate in governance, prepare materials for teaching.
- Evaluate and develop curriculum for department and/or college.
- Serve as an academic adviser for students and evaluate student coursework.
- Serve on college or university committees and participate in curriculum development activities.
- Serve on graduate committees, supervise laboratories (where appropriate), independent study activities, and off-campus learning.
- Engage in other activities ancillary to or in support of his or her responsibilities.
- Render service to the professional or lay community which is relevant to the individual’s academic specialty.
- Review, and where necessary, respond in a timely manner to all University-related communications.
- Other related duties as assigned.
An earned Master’s Degree in Information Technology, Information Studies, or a related discipline. Applicants who are in the final stage of their degree will be considered.
Additional Qualifications Considered
- Applicants with a Bachelor’s degree in Information Technology or related discipline and at least three years of professional work experience in one or two areas related to Information Technology, including Data Technologies, Software Development, Game Development, Cybersecurity, Database Management, and Networking/Systems, will be considered.
- Applicants should also have prior teaching experience, at least one semester, in Information Technology, Information Studies, or a related applied computing discipline at the undergraduate or graduate level, which could have been as a teaching assistant, adjunct, or full-time faculty.
- Applicants should submit a cover letter, a full curriculum vitae, a statement of teaching philosophy, a list of at least three references, and a self-reflection statement on the School's strategic plan, CREATE (IT Strategic Plan). The statement should be no more than 300 words.
- Review of the applications will start as soon as applicants apply and continue until the position is filled.
Interested and qualified applicants must apply online at https://bit.ly/3B4ubwH
FOR ALL FACULTY HIRES OFFICIAL ACADEMIC TRANSCRIPTS WILL BE REQUIRED AT THE TIME OF HIRE
The University of Cincinnati, as a multi-national and culturally diverse university, is committed to providing an inclusive, equitable and diverse place of learning and employment. As part of a complete job application you will be asked to include a Contribution to Diversity and Inclusion statement.
As a UC employee, and an employee of an Ohio public institution, if hired you will not contribute to the federal Social Security system, other than contributions to Medicare. Instead, UC employees have the option to contribute to a state retirement plan (OPERS, STRS) or an alternative retirement plan (ARP).
The University of Cincinnati is an Affirmative Action / Equal Opportunity Employer / Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran.