Office Associate (Part Time)
Howard Community College (HCC) is an exciting place to work, learn, and grow! HCC has been awarded the distinction as a "Great College to Work for" since 2009 from The Chronicle of Higher Education.
Howard Community College values diversity among its faculty, staff and student population. We are an innovative institution that is committed to responding to the ever-changing needs and interests of a diverse and dynamic community. No matter where you want to go in your career, you can get there from here!
The Math Department is recruiting for an Office Associate to work part time, up to 25 hours a week and will provide administrative and clerical support using Microsoft Office Suite to perform word processing for faculty, chairpersons, deans, and staff within the division. This position reports to our Columbia office daily.
- Interacts with students/visitors to answer questions, provide information, and verify submission of writing assignments.
- Answers telephone inquiries and directs calls to appropriate destinations.
- Provides general office clerical support to include filing, faxing, laminating, scanning, collating, and bulk mailings.
- Sorts and distributes mail to faculty mail folders when needed. Delivers forms, tests, and other divisional material across campus in person.
- Accesses the mainframe computer to retrieve college information that may pertain to course, student, faculty or staff.
- Assists divisions by placing instructional material, catering, furniture, or other orders or service requests for faculty, staff, or division itself, following up the requests to completion, includes all evening Faculty and its subsequent meetings and bookings for the event.
- Work independently during evening hours to assist evening faculty and students.
- May perform nightly closeout procedures (e.g. cleaning up kitchen, turning off office machines, locking up essential keys, restocking supplies and paper).
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma. A.A. Degree preferred.
- A minimum of two years of office-related experience.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite to include Windows, Outlook, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and web browsers.
- Knowledgeable in proper business English, grammar, and spelling.
- Possesses a basic knowledge of office procedures and machines (e.g. copier, fax machine, scanner, and multi-line telephone). Accurate and fast keyboard skills.
- Experience in multi-tasking between visitors, phones, and duties in a busy office is essential. Proven background in providing excellent customer service in fast-paced environment necessary.
- Ability to communicate verbally and effectively with a varied population including students, faculty, and administrators.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills needed.
- Ability to resolve problems within scope of authority and work with minimum supervision.
- Ability to learn and apply office procedures. Ability to maintain strict confidentiality.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions and effectively communicate follow-up questions and next steps.
- Regular punctual attendance is a requirement of this job.
- Ability to work as a team player and also alone.
- Scheduling Flexibility required: This position is Monday thru Thursday 3:00pm to 8:00pm.and Friday 2:30pm - 5:30 p.m.
Hours Per Week: 20- 25 hours
Work Schedule: Monday thru Thursday 3:00pm to 8:00pm.and Friday 2:30pm - 5:30 p.m.
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Open Until Filled
Best Consideration: July 21, 2021
*Pre-employment criminal background investigation is a condition of employment.
Howard Community College (HCC) is an Equal Employment Opportunity & Affirmative Action employer & values diversity within its faculty, staff & student population. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, disability or protected veteran status.
HCC understands that persons with specific disabilities may need assistance with the job application process and/or with the interview process. For confidential assistance with the job application process, please contact the Office of Human Resources at 443-518-1100.
Please submit the following:
- Completed Application (Candidates will be evaluated on completing the college's application in full)
- Resume / Cover Letter