ABE/ESL Grant Program Assistant
Howard Community College (HCC) is an exciting place to work, learn, and grow! HCC has been awarded the distinction as a "Great College to Work for" since 2009 from The Chronicle of Higher Education.
Howard Community College values diversity among its faculty, staff and student population. We are an innovative institution that is committed to responding to the ever-changing needs and interests of a diverse and dynamic community. No matter where you want to go in your career, you can get there from here!
HCC is recruiting for an ABE/ESL (Adult Basic Education/English as a Second Language) Grant Program Assistant to work part time, on site at our campus in Columbia. This position is grant funded for 10 hours a week. This position will support the ABE/ESL grant program in meeting testing and reporting requirements mandated by Maryland Department of Labor grants. Assist in tracking and reporting student attendance. Ensure accuracy of LACES enrollment and performance information. Run electronic test reports and assist in analyzing demographic and test data.
- Administer computerized placement test during ESL/ABE registration sessions including preparing computers, instructing students, and accurately recording test results.
- Organize test materials and prep pre and post-tests for classroom administration
- Inventory assessment materials to re-order when necessary
- Score pre and post-tests and enter into database
- Track, prep, and administer make-up tests
- Run electronic test reports
- Create electronic and printed attendance rosters
- Monitor attendance, track warnings and dismissals, including following up with students via phone when absent and communicating that information with the team
- Review enrollment forms for missing information
- Review LACES updates forms to be entered into database
- Assist in analyzing data
- Other duties assigned
- High School diploma required.
- Some college coursework or equivalent experience required.
- Fluent and articulate in English; comfortable giving instructions to groups of students; organized and good attention to detail; excellent and accurate data entry skills required.
- Strong computer skills-MS Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint, and internet; previous administrative office experience preferred.
- Experience or desire to work in a multicultural environment; bilingual English and Spanish is strongly preferred.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Regular attendance is a requirement of this job.
- Performs all duties while considering the impact of any actions on the college's sustainability initiatives in the areas of environmental stewardship, social responsibility, and economic prosperity.
Hours Per Week: 10 hours per week with additional hours during
Work Schedule: Flexible schedule with some evenings and Saturdays required during peak periods to assist with ESL/ABE registrations and pre & post testing
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Open Until Filled
Best Consideration date: July 29, 2021
*Pre-employment criminal background investigation is a condition of employment.
Howard Community College (HCC) is an Equal Employment Opportunity & Affirmative Action employer & values diversity within its faculty, staff & student population. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, disability or protected veteran status.
HCC understands that persons with specific disabilities may need assistance with the job application process and/or with the interview process. For confidential assistance with the job application process, please contact the Office of Human Resources at 443-518-1100.
HCC is interested in all qualified applicants who are eligible to work in the United States. However, HCC will generally not sponsor applicants for work visas. Due to our telework policy, only employees living in states contiguous to Maryland are eligible for telework and include Virginia, West Virginia, Washington DC, Pennsylvania. Candidates must live in the commutable area or willing to relocate at their own expense if offered the position because HCC does not offer relocation benefits.
Please submit the following:
- Completed Application (Candidates will be evaluated on completing the college's application in full)
- Cover Letter