Assistant Professor, Political Science
The Department of Political Science at the University of Rhode
Island anticipates an opening for a faculty position in Comparative
Politics or International Relations with a specialization in Middle
Eastern politics. This is a tenure-track, academic year
appointment at the rank of assistant professor to commence in the
Fall of 2022.
We are seeking to attract a diverse pool of job applicants for this position. A key pillar of URI’s mission is to “inspire an enlightened community that is characterized by vibrant cultural diversity; that embraces difference; that is built upon a learning environment that fosters respect, understanding, and social justice; and that rejects prejudice and intolerance.” Our department seeks candidates whose principles align with that mission.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Applicants will be expected to teach undergraduate political science courses in the areas of comparative and international politics that serve as requirements for both the Political Science and the International Studies & Diplomacy undergraduate programs as well as teach courses in the International Relations Masters program.
Expected to publish original research in their respective field of study and advise undergraduate and graduate students.
Provide service to the department, the university and the profession.
1. Ph.D., or expectation of completion of degree requirements by appointment date of September 1, 2022, in Political Science, International Relations, or related field.
2. Primary or secondary specialization in Middle Eastern politics.
3. Evidence of college level teaching commensurate with level of academic experience.
4. Demonstrated ability to excel in teaching broad-based introductory political science courses in the area of comparative politics and/or international relations, upper division and graduate courses on Middle Eastern politics.
5. Evidence of research in the field of comparative politics and/or international relations with scholarly work commensurate with level of academic experience.
6. Demonstrated experience working with diverse populations or in diverse environments.
1. Research expertise in at least one of the following or related areas: international development, foreign policy, diplomacy, conflict, governance, ethnic or religious politics, or security studies.
2. Ability to teach undergraduate research methods.
3. Ability to teach large introductory-level classes.
4. Ability to teach from a cultural or regional studies perspective.
5. Familiarity with experiential and applied learning strategies.
ALL REQUIREMENTS ARE SUBJECT TO POSSIBLE MODIFICATION TO REASONABLY
ACCOMMODATE INDIVIDUALS WITH DISABILITIES.
Visit the URI jobs website at: https://jobs.uri.edu to apply and view more complete details for job posting (F00248).
Please attach the following 3 (PDF) documents to your online Employment Application:
(#1) Cover letter. (#2) CV. (#3) Other – References – the names and contact information of three professional references.
Applications will close on September 15, 2021.
Applications must be submitted online only.
The University of Rhode Island is an AA/EEOD employer. Women, persons of color, protected veterans, individuals with disabilities, and members of other protected groups are encouraged to apply.