Assistant or Associate Professor of Physics
Gordon College invites applications for a full‐time, Assistant or Associate Professor of Physics and Engineering in the Physical and Applied Science Program in the Department of Life and Physical Sciences. Position will begin January 2022 and is non-tenure-track, but with the possibility of conversion to tenure-track. Rank will be commensurate with experience.
Located on Boston’s North Shore, a beautiful coastal area in a classic New England town with easy access to the Boston area, Gordon College is a vibrant Christian community committed to the liberal arts. We strive to foster conversation at the intersection of faith and cultural engagement in a wide variety of disciplines, all with the mission to prepare Christian men and women to actively participate in every community in which they find themselves. We seek someone who exhibits excellence in Physics, is a committed Christian, and is passionate about teaching and mentoring undergraduate students from diverse cultural backgrounds in a Christian liberal arts setting.
The Physics Program is focused on providing high-quality instruction and unique undergraduate research opportunities. The program is composed of a Physics major and 3-2 Engineering Program, including approximately 35 students. Graduates of the department pursue graduate degrees in physics or related disciplines, work at high tech startup companies or STEM-industry companies, teach at the secondary education level, or start companies on their own.
The ideal candidate will have:
- A doctorate in physics, applied physics, materials science, engineering, or a closely related field;
- A dynamic Christian faith;
- An ability to instruct courses from Introduction to Engineering and Statics, through upper-level courses in Thermal Physics, Modern Physics, and Quantum Mechanics;
- A passion for teaching and mentoring undergraduates;
- An established research program or a clear vision for its development;
- A strong commitment to the Christian mission of the college; and
- Collaborative skills that cross departmental and disciplinary boundaries, including a willingness to instruct non‐physics majors.
The preferred candidate will have:
- A commitment to integrating undergraduate research into their own research agenda;
- A research interest in any area of applied, materials, or engineering physics; and
- An interest in further developing the current 3-2 engineering program, advising students in the program, and assisting with their placement in engineering schools.
Interested applicants should submit: 1) a letter of application that addresses their fit with the Christian mission of Gordon College and with the specific position, 2) a curriculum vita with names and contact information for three technical references, 3) a sample of scholarly research in academic writing, 4) a statement of teaching philosophy, and 5) a statement of research interests.
TO APPLY: Please go to http://apply.interfolio.com/89912. Our review of applicants will begin on August 1, 2021, and continue until the position is filled.
Gordon College is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants for employment will receive consideration without discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender, age, national origin, or disability.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Non-Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Wenham
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Non-Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Wenham
- Engineering Non-Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Wenham
- Physics & Space Sciences Non-Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Wenham