Dining Services Job Description
Responsible for providing overall direction and management of the
retail operations (campus center café and library) including
budgeting, planning, organizing, staffing, scheduling, training,
evaluating and supervising all food production. Direct all aspects
of food production ensuring customer satisfaction. Responsible for
innovative leadership, providing a climate of growth for staff and
for developing and maintaining cooperative working relationships
with staff and other campus departments.
Take appropriate actions to support a diverse workforce and
participate in the College's efforts to create a respectful,
inclusive, and welcoming work environment.
- Manage Neilson Library Café and other retail operations and
supervise food preparations and service of employees in retail
operations representing about $600K in sales.
- Provide exceptional customer service and model best practices
for customer engagement and culinary innovation.
- Instruct and direct employees to comply with the department’s
policies, procedures and standards of performance.
- Develop creative food concepts and provide appropriate
recommendations for new ideas and growth.
- Recommend changes to employee job descriptions and performance
- Prepare and conduct employee performance appraisals and
establish individual performance goals.
- Interview job applicants and recommend new hires.
- Develop student worker budgets and responsible for all aspects
of student employment within retail operations.
- Explore creative ways to maintain a well-trained student
- Develop, conduct and implement ongoing employee training
- Oversee residential dining programs in the summer.
- Lead and direct staff in setting standards and ensuring quality
food for retail operations.
- Strong commitment to providing excellent customer focused
service and encourage open communication and respectful
relationships among the college community, students and
- Conduct frequent meetings with staff to review plans, policies,
and evaluation of customer feedback.
- Accommodate the particular needs of customers including those
with dietary accommodations.
- Develop healthy, sustainable and creative menus to meet
customer satisfaction, review and introduce new products.
- Utilize college software system to maintain, update and
communicate event information.
- Provide input and manage budget to meet financial
- Responsible for controlling budget in relation to food,
supplies, labor and equipment in accordance to department
- Responsible for proper collection, reconciliation and safe
keeping of all cash.
- Work with college and train staff to ensure optimal efficiency
of POS system, pricing, merchandising and advertising to ensure
effective use of resources.
- Control labor and student work expenses.
- Maintain monthly sales and expense reports.
- Direct the marketing, promotion and development of special
events for retail and catering operations.
- Responsible for the planning and implementation of catered
events at the Campus Center and other campus locations.
- Plan and direct the sanitation and safety standards to meet all
city and state health codes.
- Support college and department initiatives, catering and summer
- Advise, lead and participate in the planning and execution of
high profile special events on campus.
- Use social media to promote café activities.
All employees are expected to participate in the College's
efforts to create a respectful, inclusive, and welcoming work
Minimum Qualifications (knowledge, skills, education,
experience, certifications, licenses)
- Take initiative to keep current professionally by attending
educational training opportunities, and maintain require
certification for sanitation, allergen and alcohol
- Participate in department and college committee.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
Experience working with individuals from diverse
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited Hospitality Management
Program or a degree in Business Administration of Nutrition plus
three years relevant experience or an equivalent combination of
education and culinary experience in hospitality or a high volume
- Serv-Safe Food Service Manager Certification
- Excellent communication (verbal and written) and customer
- Conflict resolution and team building skills.
- Working knowledge with computer food production software, word
processing and spreadsheet applications.
- Ability to organize and prioritize work, take initiative,
resolve problems and manage teams and multiple tasks
- Ability to work a flexible schedule that includes evenings and
- Serve-Safe certification and other local and/or federal food
- Ability to operate a motor vehicle.
- Must complete and comply with all college driving credentialing
Please attach BOTH
a current resume and a cover letter in
order for your application to be considered for this position .
You may combine your resume and cover letter into a single file
or attach multiple files to your application, but BE SURE you have
provided all attachments BEFORE SUBMITTING your application.
You will NOT be able to attach additional files after you have
hit the Submit button.
Review of applications will begin
July 16, 2021
About Smith College
Located in Northampton, MA, Smith College is one of the largest
women’s colleges in the country and is dedicated to excellence in
teaching and research across the liberal arts. A faculty of
outstanding scholars interact with students in small classes, as
advisors, and through student-faculty research projects. The
College is a member of the Five College Consortium with Amherst,
Hampshire and Mt. Holyoke Colleges, and the University of
Massachusetts Amherst. Students cross-enroll and faculty
cross-teach across the Five Colleges.
Smith College is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer
and does not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, age, color,
religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender
identity and expression or veteran status in the recruitment and
employment of faculty and staff, and the operation of any of its
programs and activities, as specified by all applicable laws and
regulations. Women, minorities, veterans and individuals with
disabilities are encouraged to apply.