CIRES/ ESOC Post-Doctoral Associate in Machine Learning for Land Use Change and Natural Hazards
The Cooperative Institute for Research in Environmental Sciences (CIRES), at the University of Colorado Boulder, seeks a Post-Doctoral Associate to join an interdisciplinary team researching and implementing novel machine learning algorithms to be applied to multiple, diverse satellite data streams and non-traditional data sets. Our aim is to automatically and rapidly identify and monitor natural and anthropogenic change, characterizing change extent and progression over space and time using multi-temporal spectral, topographic, and Synthetic Aperture Radar data ingested from multiple space-based sensors.
The ideal candidate will have a Ph.D. in computer science, artificial intelligence, machine learning, remote sensing, computer vision, earth science, or related field. Candidates interested in developing new algorithms on fused data are especially encouraged to apply. Candidates are expected to conduct independent, high-quality research; lead and publish papers, and present their work at national conferences.
The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to building a culturally diverse community of faculty, staff, and students dedicated to contributing to an inclusive campus environment. We are an Equal Opportunity employer, including veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Who We Are
At CIRES, the Cooperative Institute for Research in Environmental Sciences, more than 800 environmental scientists work to understand the dynamic Earth system, including people’s relationship with the planet. CIRES is a partnership of NOAA and the University of Colorado Boulder, and our areas of expertise include weather and climate, changes at the Earth’s poles, air quality and atmospheric chemistry, water resources, and solid Earth sciences. Our vision is to be instrumental in ensuring a sustainable future environment by advancing scientific and societal understanding of the Earth system.
What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
- Conduct independent, high-quality research.
- Lead algorithm and code development.
- Lead and publish papers.
- Present work at national conferences.
What You Should Know
- This is a full-time, term-limited position with the initial appointment being for one year with the possibility of renewal subject to satisfactory performance and available funding, for a maximum term of two years.
What We Can Offer
- CIRES can offer a generous compensation package. Salary is commensurate with education and experience and determined based on our CIRES internal career track classification.
- The annual hiring salary range for this position is $60,000 - $62,000.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits , including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder .
Be Daring. Be Innovative. Be Boulder.
What We Require
- Ph.D. in Artificial Intelligence, Computer Science, Computer Vision, Data Analytics, Remote Sensing, Computational Earth Science, or similar.
- Skilled in writing in Python or a similar language and have experience writing algorithms and working within a cloud environment.
- Must be able to understand, develop and implement Machine Learning algorithms.
What You Will Need
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work in an agile team.
- Outstanding organizational skills.
What We Would Like You To Have
- Interest in computer vision applications to geoscience.
- Strong background in statistics.
To apply, please submit the following materials:
- Resume or CV
- Cover letter addressed to the Search Committee briefly describing your qualifications, professional goals, and specific interest in this position.
- List of contact information for 3 references who will be willing to write a confidential Letter of Recommendation for you. You don’t need to include letters of recommendation with your initial application. The search committee will request letters of recommendation at a later time If you are identified as a finalist for this role.
If you are selected as the finalist, your degree will be verified by the CU Boulder Campus Human Resources department using an approved online vendor. If your degree was obtained outside of the United States, please submit a translated version as an optional attachment.
The position will be open until filled. Applications will be screened as they are received.
Note: Application materials will not be accepted via email. For consideration, applications must be submitted through CU Boulder Jobs .
Posting Contact Information
Posting Contact Name: Michael Willis
Posting Contact Email: email@example.com
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Computer Sciences & Technology Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Geology & Earth Sciences Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Other Science & Technology Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder