Job Summary/Basic Function
In keeping with our mission and vision statement, Maryville
actively seeks adjunct faculty members who are experts in their
fields and have a passion for teaching. Adjunct faculty are an
integral part of the University’s learning community and teach
courses on campus .
The College of Arts and Sciences is accepting applications for an
academically/professionally qualified adjunct faculty member to
teach Humanities and/or English Literature undergraduate courses
on campus . Priority given to applicants who are qualified
to teach “ Humanities 101: Culture and Civilization .”
HUM 101 course description : In this class, students explore
diverse intellectual and cultural traditions that have shaped our
ideas about what it means to be human. The course focuses on the
role that philosophy, science, religion, and the arts have played
throughout history in helping us to understand our relationship
with the world around us. Apart from providing a historical survey,
each HUM 101 course will revolve around a specific theme and
explore in depth its various aspects through readings from
different eras and cultural traditions.
Essential Job Functions/Responsibilities:
• Teach assigned course as specified in the schedule and course
• Participate in welcome orientation to become familiar with the
University’s mission, academic policies and procedures,
expectations, and Canvas (Learning Management System).
• Prepare essential learning objectives, lesson plans, and
assignments. Develop course syllabus.
• Clearly communicate course objectives and learning outcomes,
teaching methodology, and assignments and deadlines.
• Employ a variety of teaching styles in order to effectively
deliver course content demonstrating both academic and real-world
applications of concepts covered.
• Encourage active learning through discussion topics, class
assignments, group projects, etc.
• Provide feedback and grade assignments in a timely and thorough
manner (with 24-36 hrs.).
• Establish office hours to provide additional assistance with
• Report early alerts for students who are not actively engaging in
• Additional duties as assigned.
• Master’s degree in Humanities, English Literature or related
field from a regionally accredited institution
• Doctorate with at least 15 graduate hours in Humanities or
related field from a regionally accredited institution
• Teaching experience and relevant experience in the field
• Specialization in intercultural studies
Open Until Filled
Special Instructions to Applicants
The Department is using this position announcement to build a
qualified pool of instructors to fill teaching needs as they arise.
This position is not designated for a specific course or
An offer of employment is contingent upon successful completion of
a background screening.
Applicants requiring University sponsorship to obtain employment
authorization will not be considered for this position.
Maryville University is committed to a policy of equal opportunity
and prohibiting discrimination on the basis of age, disability,
gender, genetic information, marital status, national origin,
race/color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status, or
any other status protected by law. This extends to all aspects of
the employment relationship, including recruiting, hiring,
training, on-the-job treatment, promotion, layoff, and
Advertised: July 13, 2021