Howard Community College (HCC) is an exciting place to work, learn, and grow! HCC has been awarded the distinction as a "Great College to Work for" since 2009 from The Chronicle of Higher Education.
Howard Community College values diversity among its faculty, staff and student population. We are an innovative institution that is committed to responding to the ever-changing needs and interests of a diverse and dynamic community. No matter where you want to go in your career, you can get there from here!
Howard Community College is recruiting for a part time, up to 20 hours a week Garden Manager to work onsite on campus. This position coordinates, designs, plants, maintains, and harvests the HCC garden. Works with internal and external partners (Plant Operations, Student Life/Food Pantry, Culinary Program, Howard County Master Gardeners, Howard County Food Bank, etc.) and facilitates and supervises volunteer/learning opportunities and garden activities.
- Researches of growing techniques (including integrated pest management), tools and practices
- Keeps planting, harvesting and production logs and crop rotations plan
- Creates planting and harvesting schedule plan for garden, based in general on the University of Maryland Extension Recommended Vegetable Cultivars for Maryland Gardens
- Provides information to supervisor for budget preparation
- Works closely with the Environmental Health and Safety Supervisor regarding day to day maintenance of the garden
- Conducts weekly gardening activities, including but not limited to sowing, transplanting, weeding, watering, fertilizing, harvesting, composting and pest control using integrated pest management techniques
- Purchases seeds, transplants, supplies, tools and equipment within budget constraints
- Plans and coordinates harvests with partners (HCC food pantry, Howard County Food Bank, CSA, Roving Radish, etc)
- Coordinates crop selection with partners
- Develops and maintains working relationship with partners.
- Cultivates a friendly, inviting and engaging learning environment
- Provides training in gardening activities for volunteers, interns, students, faculty and staff
- Maintains an ongoing list of garden activities for staff, students and volunteers
- Coordinates maintenance, repairs and improvement through Plant operations
- Maintains a safe work environment and first aid supplies
- High school diploma or equivalent required
- Experience in organic vegetable/fruit production
- Valid Maryland driver's license
- Demonstrated success in coordinating and supervising volunteers
- Must be well organized, flexible, responsible and highly motivated individual with strong written and verbal communication skills
Hours Per Week: 20 hours
Work Schedule: Varies based upon season
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Open Until Filled
Best Consideration: July 30, 2021
*Pre-employment criminal background investigation is a condition of employment.
Howard Community College (HCC) is an Equal Employment Opportunity & Affirmative Action employer & values diversity within its faculty, staff & student population. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, disability or protected veteran status.
HCC understands that persons with specific disabilities may need assistance with the job application process and/or with the interview process. For confidential assistance with the job application process, please contact the Office of Human Resources at 443-518-1100.
This position will report on campus in Columbia, MD.
Please submit the following:
- Completed Application (Candidates will be evaluated on completing the college's application in full)
- Cover Letter