Assistant Director of Human Resources
About SUNY Oneonta:
SUNY Oneonta is a public college in central New York, enrolling about 6,500 students who pursue bachelor's or master's degrees or certificates in one of 60-plus academic programs. Known as an exemplary residential campus that values inclusion, service and sustainability, SUNY Oneonta is a nurturing community where students grow intellectually, thrive socially, and live purposefully.
The College is located in the City of Oneonta, nestled in the northern foothills of the Catskill Mountains about a four-hour drive from New York City, Boston, and Philadelphia. With a population just shy of 14,000, Oneonta is one of the top 20 picturesque small towns in America, according to Microsoft News. The natural beauty of the region is breathtaking year-round. Each season offers outdoor activities such as hiking, biking, boating, swimming, and skiing. Employees give SUNY Oneonta high marks for work/life balance, management, and culture. The College's indeed.com rating is 4.5 with one recent review noting that it is the people that make SUNY Oneonta so special.
The Office of Employee Services at the State University of New York College at Oneonta invites applications for the position of Assistant Director of Human Resources. The Assistant Director will help develop and execute human resources strategies to position the College as an employer of choice. The ideal candidate will have experience with talent acquisition and retention, employee engagement, performance systems, leadership development, wellness efforts, benefit and payroll administration, process re-engineering, labor relations and more, assisting the Chief Human Resources Officer and College leadership in building a high-performing, diverse and effective workforce, and� supporting the� Employee Services department in delivering highly effective programs and services to the College community.
This is a position with potential for growth and promotion and requires a human resources professional with agility to adapt to shifting obstacles and priorities, a reputation for mentoring employees and holding them accountable for measurable results, a natural inclination to "lead by example," proactive problem resolution, impeccable confidentiality, the highest ethical standards, data driven decision-making while being sensitive to others, demonstrated support for diversity and inclusion in the workplace, strong emotional intelligence and active listening skills, and experience in a broad range of human resources functional areas.
To learn more about the College and the Office, please visit� https://suny.oneonta.edu/ and� https://suny.oneonta.edu/employee-services �
Working closely with the Chief Human Resources Officer, the Assistant Director will assist in:
- Leading a team of twelve professionals in providing employee life cycle services to 1,200 employees and employment/payroll services to about 1,200 students; functional areas include recruitment, hiring, onboarding and orientation, employee benefits, compensation and classification, performance management, ADA, immigration, payroll, leave management and workers' compensation, professional and organizational development, employee engagement, compliance, etc.
- Developing a three-year strategic plan and a goal-driven annual department plan with key dashboard metrics that reflect the activity and productivity of the human resources activities and programs.
- Participating in workflow analyses, identifying and implementing process improvements and automation and HRIS opportunities.
- Creating website content and an annual communication plan.
- Coordinating and supporting a robust performance management system and succession planning.
- Developing and delivering employee training programs and leadership development programming.
- Collaborating with College leaders to build and retain a safe, inclusive and diverse workplace that fosters a culture of excellence, accountability and opportunity for growth, allowing all employees to contribute to the College at their full potential; supporting Affirmative Action plans and goals.
- Ensuring compliance with employment-related federal, state and local regulations; keeping abreast of human resource developments and maintaining knowledge of SUNY System human resource policies and reporting requirements.
- Building employee engagement programming and maintaining strong relationships with the College's six collective bargaining units.
- Bachelor's degree in human resources, business administration, social sciences or other related discipline.
- Minimum of 8 years' progressive HR experience, with at least 5 years' HR experience at the mid/high-management level in the for-profit sector.
- Minimum 5 years' leadership, supervisory or team management experience.
- Knowledge of and experience across a broad range of human resources disciplines and practices; deep subject matter expertise.
- Highly effective written and oral communication and presentation skills.
- Evidence of outstanding cultural competency and sensitivity to all dimensions of diversity in the workplace.
- Current PHR/SPHR, SHRM S/CP or similar HR certification.
- HR and employee engagement program design and implementation.
- Extensive knowledge of employment laws and regulations.
- Demonstrated extraordinary customer service orientation.
- Strong proficiency with Microsoft Office products, human capital management systems, graphic design, and other software programs.
- Track record of success in meeting or exceeding established goals.
- Understanding of finance in relation to workforce and operational budgeting.
- Development and delivery of employee training and professional development initiatives.
- Near and long-term strategic planning skills.
- Masters' degree in human resources, business administration, social sciences, or other related discipline.
- Extensive experience in payroll, benefits administration and/or workflow analysis.
For other employment and regional opportunities, please visit our website at:� https://suny.oneonta.edu/employment �
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor's Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at� email@example.com
SUNY Oneonta values a diverse college community. Please visit our website on diversity at: https://suny.oneonta.edu/diversity �Moreover, the College is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. Women, persons of color, persons with disabilities, and protected veterans are encouraged to apply.
To apply online go to:� http://oneonta.interviewexchange.com/candapply.jsp?JOBID=133523 � Please upload a resume and letter of interest. Contact information for three professional references is required. All candidates selected for an on-campus interview will be required to submit an additional written response to a series of questions in advance of the interview.
More searches like this
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Oneonta
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Oneonta
- Human Resources Administration Not specified Full Time jobs in Oneonta
- Chief Business Officers & Vice Presidents Not specified Full Time jobs in Oneonta
- Affirmative Action & Equal Opportunity Not specified Full Time jobs in Oneonta