Directs and provides overall management of a major unit of the UH
Small Business Development Center (SBDC) which provides business
consulting (or counseling) and training assistance to small
business and entrepreneurs.
- Prepares annual budgets and plans, and monitors same throughout
the year to ensure that established goals and objectives are
- Establishes work assignments of professional staff and provides
guidance, professional development, and work direction as
- Develops proposals, secures sponsorships, and manages specific
programs under several contractual agreements.
- Analyzes results of region-wide operations, develops new
programs, and identifies and purchases business/management
- May meet regularly with area economic development organizations
and small business groups to promote the institute and support
- As required by the unit, participates in client consulting
sessions and performs financial, operational and administrative
analyses; prepares recommendations.
- Participates in the development and implementation of the
strategic planning process for the unit.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Additional Job Posting Information:
Notes to Applicant
- This position will be headquartered in Houston, Texas.
- The SBDC program is funded through a cooperative agreement with
the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) and the State of
- The continuation of all SBDC positions is contingent on the
continuation of funding from both the SBA and the State of Texas at
current levels .
- The ideal applicant will:
- Be personally responsible for meeting their individually
assigned advising metrics as well as ensuring that the center’s
advising staff achieves their assigned advising metrics. This is
not an executive managerial role, it is an involved operational
role that requires both execution of personal advising goals as
well as the oversight of the center’s staff advising goals.
- Have successful entrepreneurial experience in launching and
operating a new venture including performing financial, operational
and administrative analyses or working with entrepreneurs in the
- Advising assistance includes but not limited to analyzing the
specific business and industry data in finance, marketing,
management and operations; human resources and related issues;
strategic planning; supporting the development of business plans
and financial packages, calculating and interpreting historical and
projected financial ratios, preparing pro forma cash flow and
financial statements; budgeting; troubleshooting to identify
problems and areas for improvement; ability to work independently,
communicate effectively, good interpersonal skills, display
initiative and demonstrate professionalism.
- In addition to having personal impact metrics and oversight of
the Center’s goals the applicant will build relationships with
private entities, chambers, corporations, public agencies, and the
entrepreneurial and banking/investment communities; Complete
computer literacy, including proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite;
Knowledge and experience in program management;
- Attention to detail and ability to handle multiple
- Business development experience;
- Professional staff supervision experience;
- Experience and skill in public speaking;
- Business training experience; MBA preferred. Frequent travel
with use of a personal vehicle is required. Out of town travel may
Bachelors and 7 years experience
Requires a thorough understanding of both theoretical and practical
aspects of an analytical, technical or professional discipline; or
the basic knowledge of more than one professional discipline.
Knowledge of the discipline is normally obtained through a formal,
directly job-related 4 year degree from a college or university or
an equivalent in-depth specialized training program that is
directly related to the type of work being performed. Requires a
minimum of seven (7) years of directly job-related
Additional Job Posting Information:
*Department is willing to substitute experience in lieu of
*Department is willing to substitute education in lieu of
Notes to Applicant:
Please include Posting Additional