Director of Small Business Development Center - (STA007546)
Directs and provides overall management of a major unit of the UH Small Business Development Center (SBDC) which provides business consulting (or counseling) and training assistance to small business and entrepreneurs.
- Prepares annual budgets and plans, and monitors same throughout the year to ensure that established goals and objectives are achieved.
- Establishes work assignments of professional staff and provides guidance, professional development, and work direction as required.
- Develops proposals, secures sponsorships, and manages specific programs under several contractual agreements.
- Analyzes results of region-wide operations, develops new programs, and identifies and purchases business/management tools.
- May meet regularly with area economic development organizations and small business groups to promote the institute and support small businesses.
- As required by the unit, participates in client consulting sessions and performs financial, operational and administrative analyses; prepares recommendations.
- Participates in the development and implementation of the strategic planning process for the unit.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Additional Job Posting Information:
Notes to Applicant
- This position will be headquartered in Houston, Texas. (Galleria Area)
- The SBDC program is funded through a cooperative agreement with the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) and the State of Texas.
- The continuation of all SBDC positions is contingent on the continuation of funding from both the SBA and the State of Texas at current levels .
- The ideal applicant will:
- Be personally responsible for meeting their individually assigned advising metrics as well as ensuring that the center’s advising staff achieves their assigned advising metrics. This is not an executive managerial role, it is an involved operational role that requires both execution of personal advising goals as well as the oversight of the center’s staff advising goals.
- Have successful entrepreneurial experience in launching and operating a new venture including performing financial, operational and administrative analyses or working with entrepreneurs in the same capacity.
- Advising assistance includes but not limited to analyzing the specific business and industry data in finance, marketing, management and operations; human resources and related issues; strategic planning; supporting the development of business plans and financial packages, calculating and interpreting historical and projected financial ratios, preparing pro forma cash flow and financial statements; budgeting; troubleshooting to identify problems and areas for improvement; ability to work independently, communicate effectively, good interpersonal skills, display initiative and demonstrate professionalism.
- In addition to having personal impact metrics and oversight of the Center’s goals the applicant will build relationships with private entities, chambers, corporations, public agencies, and the entrepreneurial and banking/investment communities; Complete computer literacy, including proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite; Knowledge and experience in program management;
- Attention to detail and ability to handle multiple projects;
- Business development experience;
- Professional staff supervision experience;
- Experience and skill in public speaking;
- Business training experience; MBA preferred. Frequent travel with use of a personal vehicle is required. Out of town travel may be required.
Bachelors and 7 years experience
Requires a thorough understanding of both theoretical and practical aspects of an analytical, technical or professional discipline; or the basic knowledge of more than one professional discipline. Knowledge of the discipline is normally obtained through a formal, directly job-related 4 year degree from a college or university or an equivalent in-depth specialized training program that is directly related to the type of work being performed. Requires a minimum of seven (7) years of directly job-related experience.
Additional Job Posting Information:
*Department is willing to substitute experience in lieu of education*
*Department is willing to substitute education in lieu of experience*
Notes to Applicant: Please include Posting Additional requirements.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Houston
- Business & Management Not specified Full Time jobs in Houston
- Business Administration Not specified Full Time jobs in Houston
- Other Business & Management Not specified Full Time jobs in Houston
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Houston