About Salve Regina University:
Salve Regina University, ranked as one of the most transformative colleges in the United States by Money Magazine and among the best regional universities in the north by U.S. News and World Report, is a comprehensive Catholic University located in the scenic coastal community of Newport, Rhode Island. The University's commitment to academic success and personal discovery extends beyond its historic campus into a dynamic world where the application of higher thinking and skill are most valued. Salve Regina offers associate, bachelor's and master's degree programs, graduate certificates, and doctoral programs in humanities, international relations and nursing. Enrollment includes more than 2,600 undergraduate and graduate students from across the U.S. and around the world.
The Biology and Biomedical Sciences Department at Salve Regina University seeks a research technician to work in the laboratory of Dr. Heather Axen studying the role of epigenetic regulation on thermal tolerance in Drosophila pseudoobscura and other fruit fly species. The position is full-time (40 hours per week) for one year, with possibility of renewal for up to 2 years. The position start date is June 30, 2021. A flexible schedule will be helpful as occasional evening and weekend work may be required, though not on a regular basis.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Perform regular animal care, including maintenance of 150+ fruit fly (Drosophila) lines and 100+ ant colonies of various species.
- Conduct original, independent research, generate high quality
data suitable for publication
- This will initially be with supervision with the expectation the candidate will be capable of becoming independent as well as forward thinking
- Document all experiments and maintenance procedures in detail consistent with expectations for a national-level laboratory subject to audit.
- Communicate effectively on a regular basis concerning progress in the lab, needed supplies or maintenance, and future experiments/set ups.
- Perform general lab maintenance, cleaning, inventory, orders, etc.
- Participate in the training of undergraduate students, subject to goals of the successful candidate
- Contribute to the generation of manuscripts for publication
LICENSES, TOOLS, AND EQUIPMENT:
Potential limited exposure to chemical and biological hazards requiring use of personal protective equipment.
- Must be comfortable handling invertebrate animals
- Attention to detail is mandatory
- Must be reliable, with the ability to successfully keep track of multiple duties co-occurring
- Successful candidate will demonstrate effective communication skills pertinent to working with, and keeping informed, a supervisor overseeing the project as a whole (Dr. Axen)
- BS in Biology or related field at the time of hire OR demonstration of relevant experience
- Experience with culture and manipulation of Drosophila, as well as experience with molecular biology techniques (DNA/RNA extraction, PCR/qPCR) is preferred but not required
- Will demonstrate the ability to work for up to 8 hours a day without wasting time on a phone or other technological device
- Willingness to learn, work well within a team setting and individually, and generally be self-driven.
Salve Regina University strives to provide equal opportunity in employment and education to all employees, students and applicants. No employee, student or applicant shall be discriminated against or harassed on the basis of race, color, national and ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, age, marital or parental status, military or veteran status, genetic information or any other basis protected by applicable federal or state law, in the administration of Salve Regina's employment policies, education policies, admission policies, scholarship and loan programs, athletic and other University administered programs. In accordance with Title IX, it does not discriminate on the basis of sex in any of its educational programs or activities. Salve Regina is also committed to making its programs and campus accessible to its visitors and compliant with all applicable non-discrimination laws.
Applicants must apply online for any open staff and faculty positions by providing a cover-letter, resume contact information for 2 references and a brief description of prior research experience. Pre-employment background checks and reference checks are required of successful candidates. Salve Regina University participates in E-verify.