Kitchen Worker - Part-Time
Kitchen Worker - Part-Time
Department: Campus Dining - Gordon Commons
Duration of Position: Academic year / Part time
Work Schedule: Varied Schedule
Employee Type: Service
Posting Date: 07/13/2021
Union Representation: SEIU
Posting Number: SS052P
Pay Rate: $12.50/hour
About Vassar College
Located in the scenic Mid-Hudson Valley, Vassar College is a highly selective, residential, coeducational liberal arts college. Vassar is deeply committed to fostering a community that reflects the values of a liberal arts education and to promoting an environment of equality, diversity and inclusiveness. Vassar seeks to create a pluralistic community for all staff, faculty and students. Vassar College is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity employer, and applications from women, individuals with disabilities and members of historically underrepresented groups are especially encouraged. Vassar College is a smoke-free, tobacco-free campus.
Position Summary and Responsibilities
- Perform duties assigned by the supervisor and/or Head Chef;
- Salad and sandwich production, ingredient production, which includes but not limited to slicing, dicing, washing vegetables and peeling eggs;
- Food running and stocking stations;
- Gather ingredients from storeroom, warehouse, cooler etc;
- All utility functions which includes but not limited to floor mopping, trash removal, serving, breaking down boxes, filling dispensers, ware-washing, cleaning equipment, maintenance of work areas in sanitary condition, moving equipment and supplies;
- Cleaning stations, tables and counters;
- Serves customers in an efficient and friendly manner;
- Perform related duties as assigned.
This part-time position is not eligible for medical or other benefits. Must use personal protective equipment as per guidelines. The part-time Kitchen Worker is a part of the success of the food service program, by following all Health Department regulations, Food Standards laid out by Vassar College with regards to food quality, freshness, presentation and ECO Sure Audit Compliance.
- Ability to maintain a clean, safe and sanitary work station, equipment and utensils;
- Ability to safely operate machinery and equipment and set up/breakdown work stations;
- Ability to move, position and place objects and equipment weighing up to 50 pounds;
- Ability to communicate effectively in English, including ability to converse, understand, read and write.
- Ability to work harmoniously with staff and customers;
- Strong knowledge of FIFO;
- Willingness to work overtime as available. Overtime is assigned according to seniority guidelines.
Special Instructions to Applicants
To apply you will be required to complete the Vassar College Employment Application, including your complete work history and contact information for 3 supervisor references (please: no relatives, friends or co-workers). You will have the option of attaching a resume and cover letter. Review of applications will begin immediately. Inquiries may be directed to the Human Resources Office at (845) 437-5820
For full consideration applicants should apply by:
All applicants must apply online at: https://employment.vassar.edu/postings/2025.