Director of Communications
Brenau only accepts applications/resumes for advertised positions.
PRE-EMPLOYMENT SCREENINGS: Brenau University will conduct criminal background checks on all persons being considered for initial employment. In some circumstances, an FBI fingerprint report may be necessary to satisfy the requirement. Once employed, employees must hold and continue to maintain a favorable criminal history background. Random background checks are performed. Credit checks may be performed on candidates/employees who are selected for a position that regularly engages in handling credit cards or other company monies. A Motor Vehicle Report (MVR) may be performed during the hiring process, or as part of a random check. MVR checks are required to meet insurance requirements for those employees operating a university vehicle or participating in any driving activity on behalf of Brenau University, (including operating a golf cart, rented vehicle or one’s personal vehicle). Employees who travel must be at least 25 years of age, have a valid Georgia driver’s license, and good driving record. All employees who operate university vehicles, who are employed in a sensitive position, or who travel regularly as part of their job responsibilities may be subject to post-hire drug screening and random drug-screening. All employees are subject to reasonable suspicion drug screening.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY: Brenau practices and believes in equal opportunity for all students, employees and job applicants. We do not discriminate on the bases of age, race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), sexual orientation, national origin, disability, genetic information, military service, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law or ordinance. These protections extend to all conditions and privileges of employment, including, without limitation, to recruitment, hiring, compensation, benefits, transfers, promotions, discipline, and termination.
DRUG-FREE WORKPLACE: Brenau University is a drug-free workplace as certified by the Georgia Workers Compensation Board. –View Policy
- Bachelor's degree in Journalism, Communications or other related field; at least 8 years of experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified
- Demonstrated experience in Public Relations, Communications or a related field
- Excellent collaborator. Ability to work effectively and harmoniously with colleagues to successfully execute design projects in support of marketing and business development goals; demonstrated ability to manage internal teams, contractors, and consultants
- Knowledge of Associated Press (AP) Stylebook
- Previous experience with higher education sector or in an academic setting is desirable
- Assists the Vice President in the production and management of the communications efforts of the university
- Serves as the central resource and clearing house for internal and external communications efforts throughout the university, ensuring consistent messaging across all platforms under the position’s purview
- Works closely with the President and the Chief of Staff for communication needs connected to this office
- Works closely with all members of the leadership team to meet Communications needs
- Serves as managing editor for Brenau Window magazine and in similar roles for other departments of the university as approved by the Vice President
- Oversees the production of print and digital publications, event collateral materials, and content for general communications initiatives
- Works with the Vice President to manage the communication of difficult and sensitive university issues, including crises and emergency communications
- Creates and distributes press releases
- Serves as the primary contact for members of the media to set up interviews with university representatives
- Maximizes and cultivates positive local, regional, and national media opportunities
- Develops and maintains strong relationships with media
- Manages internal publications such as the Update, email announcements, event invites, planned giving and development publications, and more
- Contributes concepts that meet specific project goals
- Adheres to budgets as assigned
- Completes all other duties as assigned by the Vice President
Environmental and Working Conditions:
Normal environment found in an educational setting.
Physical Demands and Aptitudes:
Able to lift 5 pounds on a regular basis and 20 pounds maximum, periodically.
37.5 hours per week. Generally Monday-Friday from 8:30 am to 5:00 pm. Hours may be extended to meet the needs of the department.
Must be willing to occasionally travel for assignments
If the position you are applying for necessitates that you hold a professional degree, license, or certification, then proof of such professional degree, license, or certification must be provided in addition to this application for Brenau University to consider your application for employment. Failure to provide proof of professional degree, license, or certification when applicable may result in rejection of an application.
All positions will be filled pending budgetary review.