This position provides oversight and technical resources and expertise to key departments within the Division of Student Affairs. This is a full-time 12-month professional university staff position responsible for approximately $130M annually in billing, receivables and collections. The billing manager acts as an agent for the division on behalf of the Bursar’s Office to properly charge and credit students’ accounts for approximately $90M annually. The billing manager is responsible for identifying and solving problems, improving service delivery, and continuous evaluation of policies and procedures: recommending and implementing changes for greater operational efficiencies and the highest levels of fiscal integrity. The billing manager supervises 3.0 FTE account technicians and may support other operations in the division as needed.
The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to building a culturally diverse community of faculty, staff, and students dedicated to contributing to an inclusive campus environment. We are an Equal Opportunity employer, including veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Who We Are
Student Affairs Financial Planning and Reporting is a centralized service center for the Division of Student Affairs that provides support in all financial and accounting areas.
We collaborate with departments to understand their operational processes in order to best advise them on appropriate accounting and financial practices. We partner closely with CU’s Campus Controller’s Office, Budget Fiscal Planning, Bursar, Financial Aid, Office of Cash Management, Treasury, and other offices to ensure compliance with laws and policies/procedures.
What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
Leadership and Supervision:
- Supervises 3.0 accounting technical FTE charged with billing management, collections, researching customer issues, reconciliation, business process improvements, and ensuring compliance with university billing procedures
- Represents the university in front of parents and students.
- Identifies training needs and provides technical billing staff with ongoing development of knowledge, skills, and abilities.
Billing Process Management:
- Coordinates the billing functions of supported units by communicating regularly with key division staff.
- Resolves issues with:
- Room and board rate and housing contract accuracy.
- Conference Services invoicing.
- Revenue recognition for housing related accounts.
- Billing uploads to the Campus Solutions bursar accounting system.
- Accuracy of each student’s or resident’s account transactions which include residence hall room and board, Bear Creek room, family housing rent, block meal plan sales, parking fees, damages, miscellaneous charges/credits, and payments.
- Manages day-to-day aging and accounts receivables.
- Communicates outstanding balances with customers.
- Generates quarterly reports and provides recommendations for collections.
- Risk assessment related to outstanding balances.
- Directs the creation and production of standardized reports in multiple systems to support quality assurance and internal controls.
- Coordinates month-end closing for billing operations throughout supported units.
- Develops, maintains and updates billing procedural manuals.
- Design usage of StarRez to ensure proper data input and accurate billing.
Other Financial Services Support:
- Assist business professional staff with the development of process maps and procedural documentation.
- Build and maintain strong working relationships with the Bursar’s Office, Campus Controller’s Office, Financial Aid Office, and contracted collection services.
- Serve as a point of escalation for customer service issues and complaints.
- Represent the assistant director at meetings and on committees, as requested.
- Special projects and other duties as assigned including providing support for organizational changes.
What We Can Offer
- Salary range is $52,000 - $59,000.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits , including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder .
Be Driven. Be Impactful. Be Boulder.
What We Require
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in accounting, finance, business administration, public administration, or closely related field.
- One years of professional level accounting or finance experience in a billing environment.
- Supervisory experience related to billing and finance.
What You Will Need
- Proven ability to effectively communicate verbally and in writing utilizing informal and formal communication.
- Demonstrated analytical skills including using productivity software (e.g., MS Excel) and software used in billing and collections.
What We Would Like You To Have
- Master’s degree in accounting, finance, or closely related field.
- Experience using StarRez housing system and PeopleSoft financial system.
- Experience in the public sector or higher education environment involving multiple funds.
- Experience with reporting tools such as COGNOS.
To apply, please submit the following materials:
1. A current resume.
2. A cover letter that specifically tells us how your background and experience align with the requirements, qualifications, and responsibilities of the position.
We may request references at a later time.
Please apply by July 25, 2021 for consideration.
Note: Application materials will not be accepted via email. For consideration, please apply through CU Boulder Jobs.
Posting Contact Information
Posting Contact Name: Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org