Director of Student Health or Medical Director
Budget Title DIRECTOR or COLLEGE PHYSICIAN Campus Title Director of Student Health or Medical Director School/Division Student Affairs, Division of Department Student Health Services Staff Sub-Type Staff & Administration Salary Level SL6 Salary Range Competitive Position Effort Full-Time If Part-Time, enter FTE: Is this a temporary position? If Temporary, enter End Date: Position Summary
Director of Student Health or Medical Director (depending on degree) administers and supervises outpatient care for undergraduate and graduate student population of 7,100. This position has a full-time obligation Aug – May, and a quarter time obligation obligation in June and July each year.
• Plans, directs, supervises, and participates in the outpatient medical care services of SUNY Cortland students.
• A medical director (MD/DO) serves as the supervising physician for the College’s athletic training staff and, in coordination with the athletic training program director, serves as a resource and medical content expert for the program. Note: If a director (NP) is appointed a collaborating physician would be contracted to provide this service.
• Ensures compliance with Medical Waste Disposal regulations, immunization laws, OSHA regulations and the Clinical Laboratory Improvement Act ( CLIA ).
• Provides medical supervision of campus infectious disease emergencies (e.g., Meningitis, measles).
• Participates on the Crisis Response Team when major health events affect the campus community.
• Serves as the physician of record for the Automatic Emergency Defibrillator ( AED ) program.
• Conducts orientation for students traveling abroad to discuss precautionary measures to ensure health and well-being.
• Performs accreditation activities including: completing assessment plans, surveys, and reports; meeting with site visitors; and following through on recommendations.
• Provides health related outreach services to the campus community periodically.
• Responsible for management of the electronic medical records database.
Job Requirements – Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (KSA’s) (not minimum qualifications, but KSA’s needed to successfully perform the responsibilities of the position):
• Ability to work in an inter-disciplinary campus atmosphere.
• Demonstrate leadership and problem-solving skills in analyzing health promotion needs of a diverse community of college students.
• Knowledge of HIPAA, FERPA and other legal requirements and standards
• Demonstrate a high level of service responsiveness to students and other internal customers.
• Effective written, verbal communication and presentation skills.
• Ability to lead, integrate, encourage and motivate a high-functioning team; effective team building skills.
• Strong, direct and positive interpersonal skills.
• Demonstrated ability to work both independently and collaboratively in team settings, with senior leadership and with a diverse range of internal and external colleagues.
• Self-motivation. Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, prioritize and consistently meet deadlines.
• Superior management and multi-tasking skills, including the ability to manage multiple projects at the same time while consistently evaluating priorities and meeting deadlines.
• Focus on patient care. Consistently exhibit problem-solving abilities, demonstrate skill in yielding positive patient outcomes, and ability to cultivate a patient-focused atmosphere regardless of regulatory, budgetary, and administrative challenges.
• Interpersonal and communication skills. Precise and descriptive communication of expectations and objectives, and ability to create and maintain open lines of communication with clinical and administrative staff. Diplomatic in all circumstances, especially in sensitive situations.
• Cultivate meaningful relationships with administrators, staff and students. Accessible to administrators and clinical staff. Respond quickly to communications to ensure that clinical team can focus on their tasks.
• Organization and attention to detail, particularly when workload is heavy and tasks varied. Scheduling, paperwork, email, and project schedules must be handled and managed efficiently and in a way that is easy for the entire medical team to understand.
Functional and Supervisory Relationships
Reports to the associate vice president for student affairs. Direct supervision of a medical team including an associate director/nurse practitioner, two nurse practitioners and four nurses.
For appointment to medical director:
• Earned medical degree; board certification; completion of a residency and license to practice medicine in New York State; a minimum of three years of practice, preferably as a specialist in family medicine or medicine/ pediatrics; experience or courses in Adolescent Medicine and an ability to work in an inter-disciplinary campus atmosphere are desirable.
For appointment to Director of Student Health:
• Certified and registered as a nurse practitioner (NP) by NYSED ; a minimum of three years of practice, preferably as a specialist in college health, family health; pediatrics; school health or, community health; experience or courses in Adolescent Medicine and an ability to work in an inter-disciplinary campus atmosphere are desirable.
• Five or more years of practice;
• Experience with sports medicine, adolescent medicine, primary care psychiatry, and electronic medical records;
• Experience in a college health service setting.
The State University of New York College at Cortland is an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity/Americans with Disabilities Act (AA/ EEO / ADA ) employer. The College actively seeks applications from women, veterans, individuals with a disability, members of underrepresented groups or anyone that would enrich the diversity of the College.
Job Close Date
Posting Number S20049 Review Start Date Open Until Filled Yes Quick Link for Direct Access to Posting https://jobs.cortland.edu/postings/4627
Special Instructions to Applicant Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * What is the highest earned degree that you possess? Please
include the degree program.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Are you licensed as a physician in the state of New York?
- * Are you currently registered as a Nurse Practitioner in New
- Curriculum Vita or Resume
- Cover Letter
- Professional References Contact Info. ONLY (minimum of 3)