Laboratory Animal Caretaker
Budget Title LABORATORY ANIMAL CARETAKER Campus Title Laboratory Animal Caretaker School/Division Academic Affairs, Division of Department Biological Sciences Staff Sub-Type Staff & Administration Salary Level No Response Salary Range $12.50 per hour Position Effort Part-Time (enter FTE below) If Part-Time, enter FTE:
Is this a temporary position? If Temporary, enter End Date: Position Summary
Animal Caretaker – Monitor and maintain animal room. Feeding, handling and general care of animal specimens.
Work schedule is flexible, as is daily start and end time. This position rotates with one other person to ensure 7 days a week, 365 days a year coverage. Average number of hours per week are 5-6.
- Cleaning of animal room equipment using disinfectant detergent including: cages, water bottles, automatic watering system, fish tanks, racks and all animal maintenance equipment. Cleaning of the animal room facilities: mopping, sweeping, cleaning of surfaces as needed to maintain a clean and debris-free area. This may include cleanup following special projects, as directed.
- Daily feeding, handling, and general care of animal specimens to include, but not limited to: rats, mice, fish, amphibians, insects, and chicks. Duty schedule as described by area supervisor or as posted in the room. This may require some lifting of up to 50 pounds.
- Following verbal and written directions, maintaining records as needed of work done indicating dates, tasks, and specimens involved.
- Provide the area supervisor with feedback regarding animal health and behavior. Monitor consumable supplies (i.e., foods, wood shavings, filters, cleaning solutions) and provide advance warning of shortages or need to purchase.
- Weekend and holiday monitoring/maintenance of animal room, experiments, equipment, greenhouses, or other minor (1/2 to 1 hour) laboratory issues require 365 days/year coverage with advance notice and appropriate training and direction.
Reports to the academic department chair.
Takes direction from the area supervisor. Collaborates with colleague to ensure coverage.
Previous experience caring for animals or pets. Ability to handle rodents or willingness to learn.
Preferred Qualifications EEO Statement
The State University of New York College at Cortland is an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity/Americans with Disabilities Act (AA/ EEO / ADA ) employer. The College actively seeks applications from women, veterans, individuals with a disability, members of underrepresented groups or anyone that would enrich the diversity of the College.
Job Close Date
Posting Number S20061 Review Start Date Open Until Filled Quick Link for Direct Access to Posting https://jobs.cortland.edu/postings/4702
Special Instructions to Applicant Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Documents Needed to Apply
- Curriculum Vita or Resume
- Cover Letter
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Part Time jobs in Cortland
- Health & Medicine Not specified Part Time jobs in Cortland
- Veterinary Sciences Not specified Part Time jobs in Cortland
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Not specified Part Time jobs in Cortland
- Agriculture & Animal Sciences Not specified Part Time jobs in Cortland