Head Coach, Women's Lacrosse
Academic Affairs, Division of
Low to mid $50's, DOE
If Part-Time, enter FTE:
Is this a temporary position?
If Temporary, enter End Date:
The head coach is responsible for all aspects of the Women’s
Lacrosse program, including, but not limited to: practice
preparation, skill instruction, on-field coaching, player
development, recruiting, budget management, team travel,
scheduling, academic success and student-athlete welfare.
This is a full-time position with a 9.5-month (8/15-5/31)
Responsible for all matters pertaining to the total operation of
the Women’s Lacrosse program at SUNY Cortland.
* Maintain and/or build the sport program that is competitive at
the conference level.
* Recruitment of student athletes: recruit student athletes in
accordance with all applicable rules and regulations; recruit an
adequate number of student athletes; and recruit student athletes
of sufficient skill to maintain quality of the program.
* Retention of student athletes: assess academic performance of
student athletes at least once each semester; ensure academic
retention of student athletes minimally mirrors retention rate of
* Demonstrate effective coaching through content knowledge,
practice construction and execution, and the affective dimension
(e.g., interpersonal interactions, enthusiasm, respect and
rapport). Plan and coordinate effective team practices in
preparation for competition; serve as game coach for each contest;
instruct student athletes in physical health (strength,
conditioning & skill training); instruct individual/team
concepts, and safety.
* Administer the individual sport team budget throughout the
academic year. Ensure that monies are appropriately spent and
* Ensure all sport specific equipment and uniforms are: issued at
beginning of each season, maintained throughout the season,
collected and returned immediately at the end of the season, and
inventoried on an annual basis.
* Ensure all documentation and paperwork is completed in a timely
* Ensure compliance with NCAA and SUNY Athletic Conference ( SUNYAC
) regulations and adhere to Department of Athletics Policies and
* Represent the University in a professional and ethical manner
consistent with SUNY Cortland mission, vision, values and campus
* Demonstrate continued growth and development in sport as
demonstrated by continuing education, participation in professional
organizations, enrollment in training programs, and research.
* Leadership development of staff and student athletes in the sport
* Effective management of coaching and support staff
* Supervision of Facilities
* Coordinate fundraising activities to support the program
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
* Ability to recruit, inspire, mentor, coach and teach highly
* Ability to teach or work with a diverse student population.
* A strong identification with and support of SUNY Cortland
mission, vision and campus priorities.
* Ability to adhere to all policies, rules and regulations of SUNY
Cortland, SUNY System, SUNYAC and the NCAA .
* Ability to establish and maintain effective work relationships
with students, faculty, staff, and the public.
* Ability to communicate effectively – via technology, in person,
and in writing.
* Ability to represent the department and college in a friendly,
courteous and professional manner.
* Ability to handle multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment as
* Ability to organize work effectively, conceptualize and
prioritize objectives and exercise independent judgement based on
an understanding of organizational policies and activities.
* Ability to hire and supervise qualified assistants and student
* Ability to respond to emergency situations in a timely
* Ability to integrate resources, policies, and information for the
determination of procedures, solutions, and other outcomes.
* Knowledge of management methods and ability to provide
administrative guidance within the area of responsibility and
provide direct training and supervision as needed.
* Ability to market and promote SUNY Cortland.
* Ability to raise funds and communicate the successes, giving
opportunities and mission and goals of the athletic program to
potential donors and current supporters of SUNY Cortland
* Knowledge of budgeting and fiscal planning techniques and ability
to apply within financial constraints.
* Ability to attend seminars, meetings and other professional
development opportunities at or away from SUNY Cortland.
Functional and Supervisory Relationships
* Reports to the Director of Athletics
* Supervises coaching and support staff
* Works closely with the Director of Athletics to ensure success of
SUNY Cortland Women’s Lacrosse.
* Bachelor’s degree
* Three years’ experience coaching lacrosse at the college
* Bachelor’s degree in Physical Education, Sport Management,
Exercise Science or related field is preferred
* Master’s Degree and three to five years of coaching experience at
an NCAA institution is highly preferred
The State University of New York College at Cortland is an
Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity/Americans with
Disabilities Act (AA/ EEO / ADA ) employer. The College actively
seeks applications from women, veterans, individuals with a
disability, members of underrepresented groups or anyone that would
enrich the diversity of the College.
Job Close Date
Review Start Date
Open Until Filled
Quick Link for Direct Access to Posting
Special Instructions to Applicant
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Documents Needed to Apply
- * Do you have a bachelor's degree?
- Curriculum Vita or Resume
- Cover Letter
- Professional References Contact Info. ONLY (minimum of 3)