Head Coach, Women's Lacrosse
Budget Title HEAD COACH Campus Title Head Coach, Women's Lacrosse School/Division Academic Affairs, Division of Department Athletics Staff Sub-Type Coaching Salary Level SL4 Salary Range Low to mid $50's, DOE Position Effort Full-Time If Part-Time, enter FTE: Is this a temporary position? If Temporary, enter End Date: Position Summary
The head coach is responsible for all aspects of the Women’s Lacrosse program, including, but not limited to: practice preparation, skill instruction, on-field coaching, player development, recruiting, budget management, team travel, scheduling, academic success and student-athlete welfare.
This is a full-time position with a 9.5-month (8/15-5/31) obligation. Major Responsibilities
Responsible for all matters pertaining to the total operation of the Women’s Lacrosse program at SUNY Cortland.
* Maintain and/or build the sport program that is competitive at the conference level.
* Recruitment of student athletes: recruit student athletes in accordance with all applicable rules and regulations; recruit an adequate number of student athletes; and recruit student athletes of sufficient skill to maintain quality of the program.
* Retention of student athletes: assess academic performance of student athletes at least once each semester; ensure academic retention of student athletes minimally mirrors retention rate of the college.
* Demonstrate effective coaching through content knowledge, practice construction and execution, and the affective dimension (e.g., interpersonal interactions, enthusiasm, respect and rapport). Plan and coordinate effective team practices in preparation for competition; serve as game coach for each contest; instruct student athletes in physical health (strength, conditioning & skill training); instruct individual/team concepts, and safety.
* Administer the individual sport team budget throughout the academic year. Ensure that monies are appropriately spent and documented.
* Ensure all sport specific equipment and uniforms are: issued at beginning of each season, maintained throughout the season, collected and returned immediately at the end of the season, and inventoried on an annual basis.
* Ensure all documentation and paperwork is completed in a timely fashion.
* Ensure compliance with NCAA and SUNY Athletic Conference ( SUNYAC ) regulations and adhere to Department of Athletics Policies and Procedures.
* Represent the University in a professional and ethical manner consistent with SUNY Cortland mission, vision, values and campus priorities.
* Demonstrate continued growth and development in sport as demonstrated by continuing education, participation in professional organizations, enrollment in training programs, and research.
* Leadership development of staff and student athletes in the sport team
* Effective management of coaching and support staff
* Supervision of Facilities
* Coordinate fundraising activities to support the program financially.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
* Ability to recruit, inspire, mentor, coach and teach highly talented student-athletes.
* Ability to teach or work with a diverse student population.
* A strong identification with and support of SUNY Cortland mission, vision and campus priorities.
* Ability to adhere to all policies, rules and regulations of SUNY Cortland, SUNY System, SUNYAC and the NCAA .
* Ability to establish and maintain effective work relationships with students, faculty, staff, and the public.
* Ability to communicate effectively – via technology, in person, and in writing.
* Ability to represent the department and college in a friendly, courteous and professional manner.
* Ability to handle multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment as needed.
* Ability to organize work effectively, conceptualize and prioritize objectives and exercise independent judgement based on an understanding of organizational policies and activities.
* Ability to hire and supervise qualified assistants and student employees.
* Ability to respond to emergency situations in a timely manner.
* Ability to integrate resources, policies, and information for the determination of procedures, solutions, and other outcomes.
* Knowledge of management methods and ability to provide administrative guidance within the area of responsibility and provide direct training and supervision as needed.
* Ability to market and promote SUNY Cortland.
* Ability to raise funds and communicate the successes, giving opportunities and mission and goals of the athletic program to potential donors and current supporters of SUNY Cortland athletics.
* Knowledge of budgeting and fiscal planning techniques and ability to apply within financial constraints.
* Ability to attend seminars, meetings and other professional development opportunities at or away from SUNY Cortland. Functional and Supervisory Relationships
* Reports to the Director of Athletics
* Supervises coaching and support staff
* Works closely with the Director of Athletics to ensure success of SUNY Cortland Women’s Lacrosse. Required Qualifications
* Bachelor’s degree
* Three years’ experience coaching lacrosse at the college level Preferred Qualifications
* Bachelor’s degree in Physical Education, Sport Management, Exercise Science or related field is preferred
* Master’s Degree and three to five years of coaching experience at an NCAA institution is highly preferred EEO Statement
The State University of New York College at Cortland is an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity/Americans with Disabilities Act (AA/ EEO / ADA ) employer. The College actively seeks applications from women, veterans, individuals with a disability, members of underrepresented groups or anyone that would enrich the diversity of the College. Job Close Date
Posting Number S20098 Review Start Date Open Until Filled Quick Link for Direct Access to Posting https://jobs.cortland.edu/postings/4925
Special Instructions to Applicant Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have a bachelor's degree?
- Curriculum Vita or Resume
- Cover Letter
- Professional References Contact Info. ONLY (minimum of 3)