Senior Programmer Analyst
Academic Affairs, Division of
Staff & Administration
If Part-Time, enter FTE:
Is this a temporary position?
If Temporary, enter End Date:
As a member of Administrative Computing Services Programming team
this position provides support for the college’s centralized
student information system, Banner (Internet Native Banner/ INB )
and (Self Service Banner/ SSB ). It requires a thorough knowledge
of Banner, collaboration with users and understanding of their
office procedures/processes, as well as strong analyst and
technical skills. This individual will work closely with faculty
and staff to provide data to support academic and administrative
operations, assuring all data requests are complete, timely, and
Primary Technical Responsibilities
* Primary areas of responsibility include: Residence Life and
Housing, the Student Accounts Office, the Finance Office, SUNY
Cortland Auxiliary Services, and the Parking Operations and
Security Services Office.
* Responsible for implementing technical specifications and
designs; writing source code, troubleshooting, preparing an
accurate test environment, testing, debugging, assessing and
revising programs as necessary to streamline, enhance and maintain
program and process functionality.
* Work with Banner Administrator to grant/remove appropriate
privileges to end users. Create and maintain local Banner Oracle
tables and views to support functional offices and processes.
Assure the running of all appropriate daily, nightly, monthly and
annual processes are accurately and efficiently executed for areas
* Serve as Banner INB / SSB Analyst: Responsible for consulting
with user departments to determine banner-related programming
needs, objectives, functions, and input and output requirements.
Develop appropriate solutions while following software development
life cycle methodology. Proactively identify strategic enhancements
to improve end-user interfaces, functionality, and satisfaction.
Work with functional users and team members to ensure that the
development of integrated solutions is efficiently implemented and
current software database version levels are properly
Third Party Integration
* Responsible for supporting integration of third-party software
applications that require Banner data elements to be imported in a
batch or real-time method. Coordinate ongoing integration support
between the end user office(s), the third-party vendor and other IR
departments as necessary. Follow all standard SUNY Cortland file
Report Development, Maintenance, and Support
* Work with the functional users and team members to develop and
maintain data blocks and reports. Ensure users have the ability to
run and access assigned reports/dashboards for themselves. Maintain
an understanding of related table structures and views and follows
established data block, reporting and security standards.
* Promote active communication between functional users and team
members. Contribute appropriately to conversations and meetings.
Accurately prepare written and verbal correspondence that is
coherent, effective and professional.
* Effectively communicate project time-lines, readiness and status
updates to the director and functional users on a regular
* Maintain and review a centrally located repository of
documentation. Repositories can include Department shared drive,
project management application, and other office tools. Provide
feedback and recommendations to improve organization’s
documentation systems and processes.
* Maintain knowledge of SUNY Cortland, State of New York, and
Federal information security policies: FERPA, GLB, Red Flag, PCI,
and any relevant records retention policies. Report any misuse or
security vulnerability to the Security Officer.
* Work with the director and team members to provide vision and
leadership in developing and maintaining a sound strategic plan for
the Administrative Computing Services Department that support the
goals and missions of Information Resources and the
Functional and Supervisory Relationships
* Student and temporary support staff employees, as needed
* Bachelor’s degree
* Experience in computer programming, software development, and
demonstrated knowledge of enterprise level database
* Demonstrated understanding of programming code in more than one
* Demonstrated commitment and ability to stay current and learn
technology related to the position.
* Evidence of interpersonal, communications, and writing skills
sufficient to provide excellence in service to campus community
members at all levels of the organization.
* Demonstrated ability to work with a high degree of independence
and ability to work as part of a team
* Demonstrated ability to manage multiple priorities and
* Bachelor’s degree in Management Information Systems, Computer
Science or related field.
* Experience working in a higher education environment.
* Ability to write and review/execute SQL statements and PL/ SQL
* Functional knowledge of Ellucian Banner and Banner
* Evidence of knowledge of or experience working with Oracle, SQR,
and experience with 3rd party software integration.
* Evidence of knowledge of or experience using Argos reporting
The State University of New York College at Cortland is an
Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity/Americans with
Disabilities Act (AA/ EEO / ADA ) employer. The College actively
seeks applications from women, veterans, individuals with a
disability, members of underrepresented groups or anyone that would
enrich the diversity of the College.
Job Close Date
Review Start Date
Open Until Filled
Quick Link for Direct Access to Posting
Special Instructions to Applicant
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Documents Needed to Apply
- * Do you have a bachelor's degree?
- Curriculum Vita or Resume
- Cover Letter
- Professional References Contact Info. ONLY (minimum of 3)