Assistant Coach, Wrestling - Level 1
Academic Affairs, Division of
Staff & Administration
Part-Time (enter FTE below)
If Part-Time, enter FTE:
Is this a temporary position?
If Temporary, enter End Date:
The assistant coach for SUNY Cortland Wrestling assists in all
aspects of the administration and operation of a nationally
competitive athletic program. Cortland Athletics fosters a
student-athlete environment conducive to excellence in athletics,
academics, and personal growth through diverse and inclusive
experiences at the university and the community.
This is a part-time (75%), level 1 assistant coach position with
a 9.5-month (8/15-5/31) period of professional
Responsible for assisting the head coach with all matters
pertaining to the total operation of the SUNY Cortland Wrestling
Personal Attributes – Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (KSA’s)
required for position success:
- Demonstrate effective coaching through content knowledge,
practice construction and execution, and the affective dimension
(e.g., interpersonal interactions, enthusiasm, respect and
- Instruct student athletes in physical health (strength,
conditioning & skill training), individual/team concepts, and
- Maintain and/or build the sport program that is competitive at
the conference level.
- Supervise athletes and monitor the facilities for purposes of
safety and facility security.
- Recruit prospective student-athletes in accordance with the
NCAA, SUNYAC and SUNY Cortland rules, regulations, policies and
- Recruit adequate numbers of student athletes with sufficient
skill to be as competitive as possible within the guidelines set by
the relevant athletic conference(s) and the policies and procedures
of the university.
- Assess academic performance of student athletes at least once
each semester to ensure the ongoing eligibility of athletes and
monitor their academic progress; academic retention of student
athletes must at minimum mirror the retention rate of the
- Provide general advising, mentoring and support to
- Demonstrate concern for the overall welfare of student athletes
at all times.
- Ensure all documentation and paperwork is completed in a timely
- Represent the University in a professional and ethical manner,
modeling outstanding sportsmanship, consistent with SUNY Cortland
mission, vision, values and campus priorities.
- Execute all of the responsibilities as assistant coach in a
manner that reflects an ongoing commitment to excellence, integrity
and success of the sports program; the department and the
- Ability to recruit, inspire, mentor, coach and teach highly
- A strong identification with and support of SUNY Cortland
mission, vision and campus priorities.
- Ability to adhere to all policies, rules and regulations of
SUNY Cortland, SUNY System, and applicable athletic
- Ability to establish and maintain effective work relationships
with students, faculty, staff, and the public.
- Ability to communicate effectively – via technology, in person,
and in writing.
- Ability to represent the department and college in a friendly,
courteous and professional manner.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment as
- Ability to organize work effectively, conceptualize and
prioritize objectives and exercise independent judgement based on
an understanding of organizational policies and activities.
- Ability to respond to emergency situations in a timely
- Ability to integrate resources, policies, and information for
the determination of procedures, solutions, and other
Functional and Supervisory Relationships
- Reports to the head coach, Wrestling
- Works closely with the head coach, coaching and support staff
to ensure the success of SUNY Cortland Wrestling.
Bachelor’s degree and/or equivalent education and relevant
- Bachelor’s degree
- Playing and/or coaching background in sport.
The State University of New York College at Cortland is an
Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity/Americans with
Disabilities Act (AA/ EEO / ADA ) employer. The College actively
seeks applications from women, veterans, individuals with a
disability, members of underrepresented groups or anyone that would
enrich the diversity of the College.
Job Close Date
Review Start Date
Open Until Filled
Quick Link for Direct Access to Posting
Special Instructions to Applicant
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Documents Needed to Apply
- * Do you have a bachelor's degree?
- Curriculum Vita or Resume
- Cover Letter
- Professional References Contact Info. ONLY (minimum of 3)