Director of Networking & Telecommunications
Budget Title ASSOCIATE DIRECTOR OF COMPUTING SERVICES Campus Title Director of Networking & Telecommunications School/Division Academic Affairs, Division of Department Networking and Telecommunications Staff Sub-Type Staff & Administration Salary Level SL6 Salary Range Competitive Position Effort Full-Time If Part-Time, enter FTE: Is this a temporary position? If Temporary, enter End Date: Position Summary
The director of Networking and Telecommunications directs and manages the operations, network and telecom, projects, problem resolutions, network security, finances, and personnel. The position provides leadership and vision for network design and architecture, and is responsible for implementation as well as maintenance of the college network infrastructure. This position collaborates extensively with internal staff, Information Resources (IR) colleagues, Facilities Planning and Design, Facilities Operations, external vendors, campus offices, etc. Additionally, this position serves as the campus’ ResNet Technical Vendor Manager. Major Responsibilities
Personnel Management – Responsible for the effective management of assigned staff which includes, but is not limited to, leading, managing, supervising, and developing employees in a manner that is most appropriate to each individual and consistent with respective Bargaining Agreements and College policies and procedures. Collaborate with the human resources office to resolve and address issues or concerns regarding employee performance, misconduct, or other personnel related concerns. * Responsible for hiring and/or making recommendations for renewal or permanent appointment as appropriate. Develop and discuss performance programs and conduct performance evaluations in a timely manner consistent with the employee’s respective Bargaining Agreement and College policy and procedure. * Develop team environment that integrates and works closely with other IR Units Operations Management and Maintenance * Full responsibility for all technical areas within Networking and Telecommunications. Plan, direct, organize, schedule and supervise the operation, monitoring, trending and troubleshooting of the SUNY Cortland campus-wide LAN / WLAN and WAN (Internet) interconnectivity as well as the campus telephone system. * Design, plan, organize, direct SUNY Cortland voice and data network infrastructure to meet and exceed campus capacity, reliability and security needs. Design and plan voice and data network enhancements and security requires substantial ongoing research into current and emerging technologies. Remain current with the industry and security standards and develop ideas for proposals for continuous quality improvements to the SUNY Cortland telecommunications/network infrastructure. * Plan, manage, and administer Network/Telecommunications budgets and facilities. * Consults with Facilities Offices; as well as, construction contractors to assure that the campus voice and data network infrastructure needs and standards are being met during all phases of any campus projects. Security * Full responsibility for planning, organizing, scheduling and directing secure voice and data network design and operation, plans and oversees risk evaluation and mitigation strategies. * Key participant on IR security team and in cyber-security crises management and development of security policies. Project Management * Plan, design, organize, schedule and direct project plans for telecommunications and infrastructure improvements and life cycle replacement. Manage a po1tfolio of projects and work with other departments accordingly. Contract and Vendor Negotiations and Management * Full responsibility to work with vendors of equipment, Internet providers, telecommunication carriers, and maintenance providers to secure appropriate pricing, services and contracts. Create competition and build vendor relationships to secure best price and strong long-term performance. * ResNet Technical Vendor Management – responsible for ongoing vendor management of the outsourced SUNY Cortland student residential network. Provides college’s oversight of the vendor’s technical design, implementation, and operation of ResNet. Confirms vendor’s responses to technical or operational issues are appropriate and in compliance with their contract obligations. Reviews vendor’s service levels and address noncompliance. Technical lead on creation and review of RFPs and standards documents. Communications * Effectively communicate project time-lines, readiness and status updates to the associate provost and appropriate staff on a regular basis. * Manage with appropriate staff to maintain and review a centrally located repository of documentation. Repositories can include Department shared drive, project management application, and other office tools. Provide feedback and recommendations to improve organization’s documentation systems and processes. * Serve as a top escalation contact to the Technology Help Center regarding Networking and Telecommunications emergencies, issues, and general department response needs. * Participate on Information Resources Directors Council and project teams as appropriate. Strategic Planning * Provide vision and leadership in developing and maintaining a sound strategic plan for Networking and Telecommunications Department that follows the goals and mission of Information Resources and that of the college. Professional Development * Continually update technical knowledge and skills by attending in-house and external trainings, professional conferences, reading manuals, and being proactive by assessing new applications. * The twenty-four hour scope of University operations requires this position to be available evenings, nights, and weekends to respond to calls regarding questions or problems with the University’s networks. Occasional travel to remote sites to provide support or engage in professional development opportunities is required. Functional and Supervisory Relationships
Reports to: Associate Provost for Information Resources *Supervises: * Network and Telecommunication technicians, * Administrative Assistant 1 * Student employees Required Qualifications
* Bachelor’s degree * Six years’ experience in leading, managing, and supervising staff in a network and telecommunications setting with experience in design and management of a multi-vendor network and telecommunications environment. * Evidence of an in-depth understanding of current and emerging voice, data, and telecommunications technologies. * Demonstrated understanding of network, wireless, and telecommunications systems design, protocols, and products, including experience with campus LAN architecture, data center networking, network security architecture, products and techniques, and network telephony and collaboration systems. * Experience managing and administering network infrastructure systems including network access control, IP Address Management, network edge security, and VoIP based telephony systems and call centers. * Demonstrated ability to manage a large operational budget that includes multiple vendor service accounts and contracts. * Management experience involving project management, planning, and preparing cost project estimate, budget oversight and development. * A demonstrated ability to manage multiple technical projects with a high degree of detail while working with potentially short deadlines. * Effective interpersonal, customer service, organizational, and team-building skills. Preferred Qualifications
* Master’s Degree in Information Management Systems or related field. * Experience working in a higher education environment. * Demonstrated familiarity with NYS procurement processes, RFP procedures and contract award. * Experience working and collaborating with Facilities and vendor personnel in the design review, installation and renovation of network infrastructure systems within a building as well as other campus-oriented network infrastructure. * Cisco Certified Network Associate or Cisco Certified Design Associate or Cisco Certified Network Professional. * Demonstrated ability to manage multiple, highly technical, network or telecommunications projects. EEO Statement
The State University of New York College at Cortland is an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity/Americans with Disabilities Act (AA/ EEO / ADA ) employer. The College actively seeks applications from women, veterans, individuals with a disability, members of underrepresented groups or anyone that would enrich the diversity of the College. Job Close Date
Posting Number S20073 Review Start Date 06/01/2021 Open Until Filled Yes Quick Link for Direct Access to Posting https://jobs.cortland.edu/postings/4854
Special Instructions to Applicant Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have a bachelor's degree?
- * Do you have a master's degree?
- * What is the highest earned degree that you possess, please
include the degree program?
(Open Ended Question)
- Curriculum Vita or Resume
- Cover Letter
- Professional References Contact Info. ONLY (minimum of 3)