Religious Studies- Adjunct Faculty
Job Code/Title AJ - Adjunct Position Number J00001 Working Title Religious Studies- Adjunct Faculty Department School Of World Studies Organizational Overview
At VCU, we Make it Real through learning, research, creativity, service and discovery — the hallmarks of the VCU experience. A premier, urban, public research university nationally recognized as one of the best employers for diversity, VCU is a great place to work. It’s a place of opportunity, where your success is supported and your career can thrive. VCU offers employees a generous leave package, career paths for advancement, competitive pay, and an opportunity to do mission-driven work.
Recruitment Pool All Applicants Anticipated Hiring Range $1,200 per credit hour Campus Monroe Park Campus Position Type Adjunct - Teaching Hours/Week Normal work days Normal work hours Job Category Does this position provide patient or clinical services to the VCU Health System? No Does this position require a pre-placement medical assessment? No Is any portion of this position grant-funded? No Sensitive Position No Resource Critical Yes Description of the Job
The Virginia Commonwealth University College of Humanities and Sciences is recruiting adjunct faculty for the Fall 2021 semester within the Religious Studies Program of the School of World Studies. The program is specifically looking for one or more instructors to teach two Fall 2021 Religious Studies courses (see course descriptions below). The program may also need an Religious Studies instructor for the Spring 2022 semester. Your application will remain active for a year; you may resubmit your application for subsequent years. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Position duties include:
- Instruct students in Religious Studies classes.
- Meet all designated course instruction guidelines, including course preparation, assessments, grading, records management and submission of the course syllabus.
- Grade assignments and exams in a timely manner based on instructions/rubric provided.
- Respond to student inquiries within 24 hours.
- Submit final grades according to College/Department policy.
Course description: RELS 108. Human Spirituality. 3 Hours. 3 credits. A study of the manifestations of one or more of the themes of religious studies in a diverse group of religious communities. The themes may include such wide-ranging topics as the sacred and profane, the epistemology of faith and knowledge, creation stories, human identity, the nature of the divine, the possibility of liberation or salvation, mythology, ritual, ethics, religion and art, religion and law, and religion and politics. NOTE : For Fall 2021, this course is scheduled to meet online synchronously on MWF from 01:00 PM – 01:50 PM.
Course description: RELS 340. Global Ethics and the World’s Religions. 3 Hours. 3 credits. A critical survey of ethical concepts and issues in the thought and practice of major religious traditions. Comparison of ethical perspectives on selected themes and attention to cooperative efforts toward a global ethic. NOTE : For Fall 2021, this course is scheduled to meet in person on TR from 12:30 PM – 01:45 PM.
- EDUCATION : Master’s degree in Religious Studies or a related field.
- COMPETENCIES / EXPERIENCE : Demonstrated teaching experience at the university level. Demonstrated ability to use modern instructional technology. Demonstrated experience teaching in online formats. Demonstrated experience working in and fostering a diverse faculty, staff, and student environment or commitment to do so as a faculty member at VCU .
- Preferred Qualifications: Ph.D. or other terminal degree in Religious Studies or a related discipline is highly preferred
Job Open Date 07/09/2021 Remove from posting on or before Open Until Filled Yes Special Instructions to Applicants
For consideration, please upload a CV, cover letter and contact information for three references as an “other” document". Additional Information Quick Link https://www.vcujobs.com/postings/107743 Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Do you have experience teaching online?
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Other Document
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Adjunct Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Humanities Adjunct Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Ethnic & Multicultural Studies Adjunct Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Other Humanities Adjunct Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Philosophy Adjunct Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond