Anthropology - Adjunct Faculty
Job Code/Title AJ - Adjunct Position Number J00001 Working Title Anthropology - Adjunct Faculty Department School Of World Studies Organizational Overview
At VCU, we Make it Real through learning, research, creativity, service and discovery — the hallmarks of the VCU experience. A premier, urban, public research university nationally recognized as one of the best employers for diversity, VCU is a great place to work. It’s a place of opportunity, where your success is supported and your career can thrive. VCU offers employees a generous leave package, career paths for advancement, competitive pay, and an opportunity to do mission-driven work.
Recruitment Pool All Applicants Anticipated Hiring Range $1,200 per credit hour Campus Monroe Park Campus Position Type Adjunct - Teaching Hours/Week Normal work days Normal work hours Job Category Adjunct - Teaching Does this position provide patient or clinical services to the VCU Health System? No Does this position require a pre-placement medical assessment? No Is any portion of this position grant-funded? No Sensitive Position No Resource Critical Yes Description of the Job
The Virginia Commonwealth University College of Humanities and Sciences is recruiting adjunct faculty for the Fall 2021 semester within the Anthropology Program of the School of World Studies. The program is specifically looking for one or more instructors to teach three Fall 2021 Anthropology courses (see course descriptions below). The program may also need an Anthropology instructor for the Spring 2022 semester. Your application will remain active for a year; you may resubmit your application for subsequent years. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Position duties include:
- Instruct students in four-field Anthropology and/or Biological Anthropology classes.
- Meet all designated course instruction guidelines, including course preparation, assessments, grading, records management and submission of the course syllabus.
- Grade assignments and exams in a timely manner based on instructions/rubric provided.
- Respond to student inquiries within 24 hours.
- Submit final grades according to College/Department policy.
Course description: ANTH 103. Introduction to Anthropology. 3 Hours. 3 credits. A general survey of anthropology with emphasis on learning about and from global cultures, and on the four fields of anthropology. NOTE : For Fall 2021, this course is completely online and asynchronous.
Course description: ANTH 210. Biological Anthropology. 3 Hours. 3 credits. Prerequisite: ANTH 103. Explores the disciplinary subfield of biological anthropology. Emphasis on the history and study of humans as biological organisms. Topics include genetic, social and ecological determinants of variation in human growth and biological diversity, as well as human adaptation and adaptability, disease, diet, and nutrition. NOTE : For Fall 2021, this course is completely online with synchronous lecture times TR 9:30 – 10:45.
Course description: ANTH 301. Human Evolution. 3 lecture and 2 laboratory hours. 4 credits. Introduces the range of human diversity as well as a broad understanding of evolution and evolutionary biology, particularly as it applies to hominid evolution. Specific topics include basic genetics, primatology, paleontology and the hominin fossil record. Crosslisted as: BIOL 341. NOTE : For Fall 2021, this course is completely online with a synchronous lecture times TR 11:00 – 12:15 and four synchronous lab periods; T 2:00 – 3:50, W 10:00 – 11:50, W 12:00 – 1:50, W 2:00 – 3:50.
- EDUCATION : Master’s degree in Anthropology or a related field.
- COMPETENCIES / EXPERIENCE : Demonstrated teaching experience at the university level. Demonstrated ability to use modern instructional technology. Demonstrated experience teaching in online formats. Demonstrated experience working in and fostering a diverse faculty, staff, and student environment or commitment to do so as a faculty member at VCU .
- Preferred Qualifications: Ph.D. or other terminal degree in Anthropology or a related discipline is highly preferred
Job Open Date 07/09/2021 Remove from posting on or before Open Until Filled Yes Special Instructions to Applicants
For consideration, please upload a current CV, cover letter and contact information for three references as an “other” document. Additional Information Quick Link https://www.vcujobs.com/postings/107742 Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Do you have experience teaching online?
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Other Document
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Adjunct Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Humanities Adjunct Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Other Humanities Adjunct Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Adjunct Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Biology & Life Sciences Adjunct Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond