Human Resources Generalist
Position Human Resources Generalist Full Time/Part Time Full Time Job Type Regular Position Summary
This position provides expertise on a broad and comprehensive range of human resources activities including recruitment, compensation, benefits administration, performance management, talent development, employment transactions, policy compliance, and other related HR functional areas. Duties and Responsibilities
• Assists in recruiting, interviewing, and hiring NMHU personnel. Ensures all hiring processes are effective and legally compliant. • Serves as a first point-of-contact for departments and schools regarding HR concerns, needs and issues; evaluates situations, navigates, and directs departments to the various resources available. • Provides guidance to supervisors regarding adherence to applicable federal, state, and local laws, as well as policies and procedures and collective bargaining agreements; identifies innovative solutions and options to address complex human resource management issues. • Recruits, hires and supervises student employees in the HR Office. • Approves personnel actions to include compensation and classification changes, personnel transactions, administers benefit changes and other related HR processes. • Reviews and verifies incoming and outgoing documentation for completeness, accuracy, and compliance with established policies and procedures. • Maintains knowledge of University policies, processes and resources, as well as applicable federal, state, and local laws. • Conducts research, analysis, and studies to address issues and problems related to human resources, recommends programs or actions to resolve problems and enhance services. • Assists with the University’s recruitment and hiring processes by developing and reviewing job descriptions and advertisements, posts open positions, administers applicant tracking system, and conducts final review search materials. • Responds to employee questions regarding policies, procedures, collective bargaining agreements, and programs. • Coordinates health, life, and disability insurance enrollments and communicates with service providers concerning routine administration. • Facilitates meetings with HR staff, as appropriate, and provides training and information dissemination regarding new or modified processes, systems, or procedures. • Coordinates benefits open enrollment. • Assists in the administration of the student employment program. • Processes all documents and employee information in the HRIS system in a timely fashion by keeping employee records up-to-date. • Assists in the development, implementation, and/or delivery of training on personnel policies, procedures and practices. • Processes initial unemployment responses and represents the University in unemployment hearings. • Manages worker’s compensation claims and accident reports; processes year-end reporting. • Performs other job-related duties as assigned; and • Maintain regular attendance. Minimum Job Requirements
• Education: Associate’s Degree in related field. • Experience: Three (3) years of direct work experience. Preferred Qualifications
• Knowledge of and experience with Ellucian BANNER Human Resources module. • Previous work in a union environment. • SHRM -CP certification. • Bilingual skills in the English and Spanish languages. Special Conditions for Eligibility
• A record of satisfactory performance in all prior and current employers as evidenced by positive employment references from previous and current employers. • All employees must fully uphold all principles of confidentiality. This position has access to sensitive information and a breach of these principles will be grounds for immediate termination. • Disclaimer: The information on this position description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performance by employees in this position. It is not designed to contain, or be interpreted as, a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this position. Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Knowledge of HR processes and systems as well as governing regulations. • Excellent interpersonal and public relations skills. • Excellent oral and written communications abilities. • Ability to multitask and work on multiple projects and manage numerous deadlines in an environment where business needs may change, and priorities may require constant reprioritizing. • Ability to protect confidential information and communicate with discretion in all matters related to employees and internal processes. • Skilled in office related computer programs and human resources software and applications. • Ability to develop, plan, and implement short- and long-range goals. • Ability to make administrative and procedural decisions and judgments on sensitive, confidential issues. • Knowledge of current federal and state employment law and regulations. • Ability to prepare and present training programs and materials. • Knowledge of compensation administration principles and procedures. • Ability to maintain composure under stressful situations. • Ability to work in a diverse environment. Physical Demands
• Physical Demands: While performing the duties of this job the employee is regularly required to: walk, sit, use hands and fingers, reach with hands and arms, talk and hear. May be required to stand for long periods. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds or more. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, and ability to adjust focus. • Mental Demands: There are several deadlines associated with this position. The employee must also multi-task and interact with a wider variety of people on various and, at times, complicated issues. Working Environment
• Normal office conditions exist, noise level may vary, and overnight travel may be required. • Frequently work at a fast pace with unscheduled interruptions. Pay Rate $50,523.20 Work Location/Campus Center Las Vegas, NM Campus EEO Statement
New Mexico Highlands University is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. We are committed to the University values of diversity, accessibility, excellence, and responsiveness. For disabled access or services call 505-454-3242 or email firstname.lastname@example.org Visit the link below for more information regarding affirmative action and equal opportunity: Equal Employment Opportunity is THE LAW
Posting Number AS504P Open Date 07/06/2021 Close Date Open Until Filled Yes Special Instructions to Applicant
A complete online application must include: 1) Letter of interest/cover letter; 2) Resume; 3) Names, telephone numbers and email address of three (3) professional supervisory references in online application; 4) copies of unofficial transcripts. Candidates who are invited for on-campus interviews will be required to submit official transcripts. References will be contacted in conjunction with on-campus interview. Upload required materials with online application. For disabled access or services, call (505) 454-3242 or contact Human Resources at email@example.com NMHU IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER Quick Link https://nmhu.peopleadmin.com/postings/6722 Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- Public Job Posting
- Internal Job Posting
- Agency Referral
- Personal Referral
- * What is the highest level of education attained?
- High School Diploma
- Associates Degree
- Bachelors Degree
- Masters Degree
- * How many years of experience do you have working in an office
- More than 10
- * Provide examples of how you handled difficult situations with
those you have worked with.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Tell us how you maintain constant performance while under
time and work load pressures.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Please describe the attributes that will make you a strong
candidate for this position
(Open Ended Question)
- * Please describe in detail how your background and experience
would be applicable for this position in a College/University
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter/ Letter of Interest
- Unofficial Transcripts Conferring Required Degree
- Letter(s) of Recommendation