Department: Accounting Services Office
Duration of Position: Full year / Full time
Employee Type: Administrator
Posting Date: 07/09/2021
Union Representation: Not Applicable
Posting Number: AS102P
About Vassar College
Located in the scenic Mid-Hudson Valley, Vassar College is a highly selective, residential, coeducational liberal arts college. Vassar is deeply committed to fostering a community that reflects the values of a liberal arts education and to promoting an environment of equality, diversity and inclusiveness. Vassar seeks to create a pluralistic community for all staff, faculty and students. Vassar College is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity employer, and applications from women, individuals with disabilities and members of historically underrepresented groups are especially encouraged. Vassar College is a smoke-free, tobacco-free campus.
Position Summary and Responsibilities
Under the general direction of the Controller, the Assistant Controller assumes responsibility for the College's daily operational accounting functions including accounts payable, accounts receivable, gift management, and treasury management in support of the College's mission. This position must be able to self-manage and multi-task in a fast-paced office and will provide guidance and support to a team of professionals and specialists in carrying out these functions in order to ensure that these activities are organized, accurate, efficient, and being completed timely. The Assistant Controller will work with a number of departments across campus so must be able to communicate complex accounting information in ways that can be easily understood by those who do not possess an accounting background.
The Assistant Controller will also provide support in ensuring that the College complies with accounting principles and federal, state, and local laws and regulations. This position will manage periodic state and local tax filings, assist with annual audits and the preparation of financial statements and internal reports, and be expected to perform advanced account analysis and reconciliations routinely and timely. The Assistant Controller will be responsible to ensure that all transactions are recorded based on generally accepted accounting principles and that proper internal control are maintained over the accounting functions. In addition, this position will review business/accounting policies and procedures in order to identify, recommend, and implement improvements.
- Responsible for accounting tasks for a wide-variety of the College's operating and restricted funds, including preparation of year-end schedules, reconciliation of general ledger accounts, and review and reconciliation of various clearing accounts.
- Manage day-to-day operations of the AR and AP departments; create, implement and maintain policies, procedures and controls.
- Oversee cash management, bank activity and prepare the cash flow forecasts and analysis as well as identify areas for improved treasury results for review by management.
- Work with staff to prioritize work and ensure staff is appropriately trained. Ensure work is accurate and is being processed in a timely manner and in accordance with College's policies and procedures.
- Actively monitor and work with departments to resolve all outstanding accounts receivable issues and make recommendations to management regarding delinquent accounts.
- Investigate any unidentified or unusual banking activity.
- Create new designations for endowments and expendable gifts.
- Maintain endowment and gift fund records and prepare related support for annual financial statement audit.
- Research endowment and expendable gift questions from departments and provide information related to fund restrictions, balances, expenses, and related activity as needed.
- Oversee spending on all restricted funds including endowments and expendable gifts.
- Maintain and manage all accounting for terminated/deferred giving, including allocation of liquidated/terminated contracts, updating master contract schedules, completion of paperwork to establish new mutual funds when necessary, preparing wire transfer request to send new funds to investment account, and all year end schedules and adjustments.
- Ensure proper and complete processing of the annual Charitable Gift Annuity filings for WA, NYS, CA, and NJ.
- Work with departments to meet special accounting needs of foreign programs (including JYA, Consortium, Break, and Summer Foreign programs).
- Work with accounting team in the fiscal year end closing process, reconciling and preparing audit schedules, assisting in financial statement preparation and other filings.
- Assist with compliance activities related to periodic state tax filings and surveys.
- Prepares schedules for the organization's IRS Forms 990, 990-T, and other related tax returns and coordinates completion of tax forms with a third-party tax reviewer.
- Partner with other members of the finance department to communicate and train the Vassar community on accounting policies and procedures.
- Act as backup for Controller and Associate Controller when needed.
- Manage credit card merchant and PayPal accounts.
- Oversee NYS Unclaimed and 1099 Processes.
- Assist with maintenance and continued improvement of the College's ERP system.
- Identify and assist with the implementation of opportunities for workflow improvement, cost savings, and efficiencies.
- Assist in the implementation of internal controls and policies to comply with legislation and established best practices.
- Other duties and projects as needed.
- A Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in accounting or business administration required. CPA preferred, with an active New York State License.
- A minimum 7 years of progressive financial management experience in higher education or other non-profit setting.
- Comprehensive familiarity and understanding of GAAP.
- Demonstrated experience compiling financial statements and accounting for complex transactions.
- High level of proficiency in analyzing financial transactions and reports for conformity with internal procedures and external regulations.
- Extensive knowledge of internal controls standards and comprehensive financial reporting.
- Knowledge of federal and state financial regulations, and college financial policies and procedures.
- Ability and experience to take the lead on compliance, internal controls, and financial efforts.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to independently manage multiple deadlines and competing priorities with the highest degree of accuracy and efficiency, while working in an environment of frequent interruptions.
- Excellent oral and written skills and ability to communicate comfortably with students, colleagues, and external constituents.
- Exhibit a high level of professionalism, leadership, and creative problem solving.
- Excellent knowledge of administrative and PC computer applications, including the Microsoft suite (e.g. Word, Excel, etc.).
- Proficiency in Excel including pivot tables and v-lookup formulas.
- Workday experience highly preferred.
- Prior supervisory experience is preferred.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to interact in a positive, professional, and courteous manner with individuals at all levels throughout the institution.
- Strong analytic, technical, and computer skills required, with highly developed attention to detail.
- Demonstrated ability to use independent judgment, show initiative, problem-solve, and direct activities.
- Strong work ethic and willingness to work flexible hours to meet deadlines.
- Cultural competency to work with diverse student and/or other employees.
- Commitment to the vision
and mission of Vassar.
Special Instructions to Applicants
To complete your on-line application, you will be required to attach your resume, cover letter, and contact information for 3 professional references. All attachments must be in PDF format. Review of applications will begin immediately. If you have any questions, please contact Human Resources, 845-437-5820.
For full consideration applicants should apply by:
All applicants must apply online at: https://employment.vassar.edu/postings/2022.