Professor of Practice, PreK-12 Education Programs (2 positions)
We are seeking to hire two candidates for this position.
The Professor of Practice in the PreK-12 Education Program is a 12-month non-tenure track instructional position that requires background and experience in PreK-12 curriculum, instruction, and assessment. The Professor of Practice will be responsible for program development and instruction; the Professor of Practice will also meet and exceed expectations with respect to Tulane’s professional competencies.
Tulane is designing new and innovative education programs and training pathways for PreK-12 education practitioners. The ideal candidate will have university and early literacy teaching experience, as well as knowledge of educational pedagogy and experience in curriculum design, grade-appropriate instruction, and assessment for learning.Qualifications
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Master's degree (PhD preferred) in early literacy/reading, OR math and science OR special education, or some combination thereof.
- Minimum of five years of K-12 teaching experience with specific experience in area of expertise sought for this position.
- Minimum of two years postsecondary teaching which can include professional development for practicing teachers.
- Demonstrated commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES/COMPETENCIES TYPICALLY NEEDED TO PERFORM THIS JOB SUCCESSFULLY:
- Ability to develop and deliver innovative and rigorous courses in education and teacher preparation
- Ability to provide quality mentoring and academic advisement to diverse students.
- Ability to develop and maintain relationships with local, statewide, regional and national stakeholders, leading to student and adjunct faculty recruitment, internship and job opportunities for students and graduates.
- Excellent written and communication skills.
- Ability to work well with individuals of various ages and background.
The applicant will also demonstrate an ability to meet and exceed universal Tulane competencies:
- Stakeholder focus – Exhibits an achievement orientation and commitment to quality in all areas. Demonstrates a commitment to anticipating, monitoring, and meeting the needs of stakeholders (teaching candidates, project partners, Tulane faculty and staff) and planning for/ responds to/ collaborating with them in an appropriate manner.
- Initiative – Approaches situations and issues proactively and persistently, seizing opportunities as they arise with integrity and in a way that builds trust.
- Innovation – Generates viable new approaches and solutions.
- Flexibility – Responds to work effectively in ambiguous or changing situations, and with diverse groups and all individuals.
- PhD or EdD in education or related field
- At least 5 years of experience teaching in higher education
- Experience with teacher preparation programs
- Expertise in reading and/or literacy
- Expertise in STEM areas
- Expertise in working with students who struggle and those with learning differences
- Experience with online education and learning management systems, Canvas preferred
Candidates must apply in Interfolio via https://apply.interfolio.com/88537 and provide a cover letter and an updated CV. Additional materials for submission may include sample syllabi of courses taught, teaching evaluations from courses taught, and letters of recommendation. Additional documents may be requested at a later date. Expected start date for this position is the beginning of the Fall 2021 semester but is negotiable.
For more information about the position, please contact the K-12 Professor of Practice and Program Director, Dr. Kelly McClure, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ultimate recruitment for this position is subject to final budgetary approval by the University.
Tulane University is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action institution committed to excellence through diversity. Tulane University will not discriminate based upon race, ethnicity, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, marital status, military or veteran status, or any other status or classification protected by federal, state, or local law. All eligible candidates are encouraged to apply.