Participatory Complex Systems Modeler
Participatory Complex Systems Modeler
Founded in 1898, Northeastern is a global research university and the recognized leader in experience-driven lifelong learning. Our world-renowned experiential approach empowers our students, faculty, alumni, and partners to create impact far beyond the confines of discipline, degree, and campus.
Our locations—in Boston; Charlotte, North Carolina; London; Portland, Maine; San Francisco; Seattle; Silicon Valley; Toronto; Vancouver; and the Massachusetts communities of Burlington and Nahant—are nodes in our growing global university system. Through this network, we expand opportunities for flexible, student-centered learning and collaborative, solutions-focused research.
Northeastern's comprehensive array of undergraduate and graduate programs— in a variety of on-campus and online formats—lead to degrees through the doctorate in nine colleges and schools. Among these, we offer more than 195 multi-discipline majors and degrees designed to prepare students for purposeful lives and careers.
About the Opportunity:
This position develops complex systems models in diverse platforms, such as system dynamics (e.g., InsighMaker) and agent-based modeling, network and cellular automata (e.g., NetLogo), to better understand and formulate policies for complex social and environmental problems, both for academic research, and for development and use with stakeholders in planning and policy design meetings. This involves extensive literature review to support the creative and appropriate conceptualization of complex problems, and proper computational modeling and data analytical training for proper implementation of conceptual models into a range of complex systems modeling and visualization platforms.
- Computational modeling
- Draft and revise documents for publication of both models and peer-reviewed manuscripts resulting from the modeling process and its use in academic and decision-making settings; Perform other related duties and participate in special projects as assigned by Prof. Moira Zellner, to support her participatory complex systems modeling research and related collaboration with NULab, BARI, College of Science, College of Engineering, and other units across Northeastern University
- Assist in the design and development of interfaces to work with stakeholders, policy-makers and decision-makers
- Master's Degree in Urban Planning, Urban Studies, Geography,
Environmental Science, or related field.
- Three or more years experience in complexity-based modeling
applied to social or environmental planning problems.
- Proficiency with object-oriented programming, system dynamics
modeling, and data analysis, and all aspects of good programming
and modeling practice: appropriate conceptualization of complex
social or environmental problems for relevant model and simulation
design, elegant and efficient model formulation, verification,
sensitivity analysis, and validation, and model
- Ability to adequately and creatively conceptualize complex
systems and translate them into stylized models.
- Knowledge of the literature on complexity, in particular
applied to socio-ecological systems.
- Proficiency in quantitative and qualitative analytical methods
to inform and parameterize models, and to analyze simulation
- Effective technical and academic writing.
Northeastern University is an equal opportunity employer, seeking to recruit and support a broadly diverse community of faculty and staff. Northeastern values and celebrates diversity in all its forms and strives to foster an inclusive culture built on respect that affirms inter-group relations and builds cohesion.
All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
To learn more about Northeastern University's commitment and support of diversity and inclusion, please see www.northeastern.edu/diversity.
To apply, visit https://careers.pageuppeople.com/879/cw/en-us/job/507074