Assistant Swimming Coach (731)
To assist the Head Coach in all aspects of the NCAA Division I Men’s and Women’s swimming and diving programs in alignment with university and athletic department goals. The assistant coach assumes responsibility of running the program in the absence of the head coach. This position works under a general level of supervision.
- Assist the head men’s and women’s swim coach in teaching fundamentals, techniques, and training procedures to aid in developing a high quality team. Assist in supervision of all swimming workouts, flexibility, general aerobic conditioning, video review, and weight workout. Assist in preparation of practices and meets, as well as developing a comprehensive seasonal training plan. Responsible for the day to day plans, goals and administration of the program related to competitions, workouts and student-athlete welfare.
- Coordinate the administration of all recruiting efforts of the men’s and women’s swimming programs to attract high quality athletes to the program. This includes the evaluation of prospective student-athletes, coordinating all communications, arranging and planning of visits of student-athletes to the institution, and visiting prospects and their competition sites, schools and homes.
- Perform daily management of men’s and women’s swimming and diving programs to ensure that the day to day activities run smoothly. Duties include: coordinating team travel for men’s and women’s swim teams to all away competition and training; purchasing and ordering of all team equipment; set-up of home meets; and other daily office management. Oversee the safety and maintenance of athletic equipment, supplies, facilities (including pool management) and other aspects of the program.
- Assist the head coach in public relations duties in conjunction with the athletic department’s activities as they relate to publicity, alumni development and fund-raising to aid in generating support for the team.
- Assist the head coach of men’s and women’s swimming in academic counseling in conjunction with the Assistant AD for Compliance and the Academic Coordinator for student-athletes to aid in the student athletes’ academic success.
- This position reports directly to the Head Men’s and Women’s Swimming Coach. Reporting indirectly to this position are the other assistant coaches, and any work study students.
- The Assistant Coach assists the Head Coach with practice and meet preparation; coaching and technical instruction of all student-athletes; recruiting and daily office management.
- Assists the head coach in overseeing 40 athletes and a team budget of approximately $60,000. Reporting indirectly to this position is the Intern, other assistant coaches, and work/study students.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
- Full time
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree or the equivalent in training and experience is required.
- Knowledge of NCAA and Patriot League regulations is required.
- Strong technical, organizational, and interpersonal skills are required.
Preferred Education and Experience
- Successful experience in coaching; competitive swimming at the collegiate level preferred
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
- Hiring offers contingent upon successful completion of a background check.
- Click here to learn about American University's unique benefit options.
Current American University Employees:
If you are a current full-time or part-time staff member at American University, please log intoAsuccessfulU through themyAU portal . Once in AsuccessfulU, please select the Careers tile which will take you to our internal career page.
For more information or assistance with the American University careers site, email email@example.com .
American University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution that operates in compliance with applicable laws and regulations. The university does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, personal appearance, gender identity and expression, family responsibilities, political affiliation, source of income, veteran status, an individual’s genetic information or any other bases under federal or local laws (collectively "Protected Bases") in its programs and activities.
Nearest Major Market: Washington DC