Fitness Coordinator, Wellness & Special Events (13525)
This position is responsible for the development, management, and supervision of the Recreational Sports & Fitness wellness programs, including hiring and training staff, marketing, and scheduling programs. The incumbent will help coordinate all special events for the unit including large scale events such as Welcome Week activities, late night programs, and large scale incentive based programs. The Fitness Coordinator acts as evening supervisor, manages the day to day operations of the Fitness Center during the busy evening time period, including supervision of staff, financial transactions, member issues and membership sales and service. This position will serve as Manager on Duty at least two evenings per week and occasional weekends.
- Develop, implement and evaluate wellness/health promotion programs for the unit. This includes but is not limited to developing wellness programs and services for students. Development and implementation of incentive programs. Provide educational and outreach programs. Manage the Team Challenge program.
- Act as Manager on Duty of fitness facility at least two night per week and occasional weekends
- Recruit, hire, train, schedule and evaluate wellness programming and team challenge staff.
- Lead the coordination for all special events for the unit. This includes all large scale events such as Welcome Week activities, Late Night programs, large scale incentive based programs, and virtual health promotion initiatives.
- Track and evaluate programs and services to assist with program planning and ensure member satisfaction.
- The incumbent will stay current with the latest in trends, certification and knowledge in areas of responsibilities. Demonstrate initiative in growth and development of Fitness Center programs and services and fulfill other duties as assigned.
- This position oversees the wellness programming staff and indirectly supervises all part time staff when acting as Manager on Duty
- This position reports to the Assistant Director for Fitness and Wellness Programs
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
- Full time
- Specialist B
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Exercise Science, Physiology, Fitness, Nutrition, Health Education or related field required or the equivalent in education, training and/or experience
- Current CPR and AED certification
- At least 2 years of relevant work experience
- At least one nationally recognized and accredited personal training, group fitness, or wellness certification
- Positive personal projection of health and fitness lifestyle practices
- Good written and verbal communication skills
Preferred Education and Experience
- Master’s degree in Exercise Science, Physiology, Fitness, Nutrition, Health Education or related field preferred
- Experience in Personal Training and/or administration desired
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
- Hiring offers for this position are contingent on the successful completion of a background check
- Click here to learn about American University's unique benefit options.
Current American University Employees:
If you are a current full-time or part-time staff member at American University, please log intoAsuccessfulU through themyAU portal . Once in AsuccessfulU, please select the Careers tile which will take you to our internal career page.
For more information or assistance with the American University careers site, email email@example.com .
American University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution that operates in compliance with applicable laws and regulations. The university does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, personal appearance, gender identity and expression, family responsibilities, political affiliation, source of income, veteran status, an individual’s genetic information or any other bases under federal or local laws (collectively "Protected Bases") in its programs and activities.
Nearest Major Market: Washington DC
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Health & Medicine Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Kinesiology, Exercise Physiology & Physical Education Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Student Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.