College of Business at Florida Atlantic University seeks scholars who are committed to supporting the learning needs of students from diverse backgrounds and to engaging communities underrepresented in higher education. Florida Atlantic University is committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all who interact in our community. In building this environment, we strive to attract students, faculty and staff from a variety of cultures, backgrounds and life experiences. Florida Atlantic University embodies a culture of strategic and collaborative community engagement that results in mutual benefit to the institution and the diverse internal and external communities that it serves.
The Department of Finance within the College of Business at Florida Atlantic University is searching for two (2) energetic and forward-thinking Finance instructors. The open positions are at the Instructor level. The anticipated start date for the positions is for Spring of 2022 but will remain open until filled.
These are non-tenure track appointments primarily emphasizing teaching courses within the college’s MBA, Bachelors, and Master of Science in Finance programs across a broad Finance curriculum. The positions are ideal appointments for individuals wishing to concentrate on teaching and related activities such as mentoring and advising.
Instructor positions typically teach eight (8) courses per academic year with four (4) courses delivered in each semester (Fall and Spring). Though not perhaps exclusively, these positions will be significantly employed within the college’s Executive Education programs where the ability to be a highly effective instructor to working professionals is a critical component of the job.
Strong candidates must have compelling evidence of teaching effectiveness and/or relevant work experience, and excellent oral and written communication skills. Applicants must be able to provide instruction in a variety of modalities, including online. Compensation is very competitive. Depending on student demand and an instructor capacity, overload compensation may be available for Fall and Spring semesters. Additionally, Summer compensation and possible overloads are available as well.
FAU COB strives for our students to be academically prepared and business world ready. The College of business offers students many unique benefits: a state-of-the-art Trading Room with access to Bloomberg terminals, integrated classroom and technology-based experiential learning opportunities, and career and leadership counseling, among other student benefits.
Although this is primarily a teaching position, instructors are expected to engage with and mentor students helping to connect them to industry and practice. These positions also require service responsibilities in the areas of outreach to promote degree programs within the college of business and foster opportunities between students and local employers. A selected candidate is required to actively participate in professional activities sufficient to maintain appropriate qualifications under AACSB standards. The instructor role has research responsibilities that may consist of publications in practitioner or scholarly journals, documented professional education experiences, or participation in professional conferences.
- Deliver course content using a variety of teaching styles and provide engaging assignments that demonstrate real-world applications of concepts covered.
- Utilize a variety of appropriate teaching strategies to promote students’ critical thinking skills and develop instructional material consistent with course objectives.
- Teach assigned courses as specified in the course schedule and contract.
- Provide students an approved syllabus that includes course objectives and learning outcomes, teaching methodology, attendance policies in line with those of the institution, texts and readings, assignments and deliverables, timelines and evaluation criteria.
- Uses the institution’s learning management system (Canvas) to assist in course delivery.
- Provide feedback and grade assignments in a timely and thorough manner.
- Deliver courses in a professional and engaging manner to working professionals.
- Maintain currency through professional development and/or intellectual contributions.
- Earned Doctorate or terminal degree (such as Ph.D. or DBA) from an accredited institution. ABD candidates who do not hold a terminal degree by the time of appointment may be considered for appointment at the rank of Instructor.
- Certification and/or experience teaching in fully online or hybrid delivery platforms or remote required.
- Work experience with a financial services firm, an investment institution, or the corporate finance function of a private or public institution are preferred as are professional designations such as CFA, CISA, and CFP.
- Demonstrated teaching success in a business school or graduate professional school is strongly preferred, but not required.
- Prior university teaching experience in Finance with evidence of teaching success.
- Experience working in Executive Education or continuing education.
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills.
- An ability to interact effectively with a wide and diverse range of students and colleagues.
All applicants must apply electronically to the currently posted position (Instructor) on the Office of Human Resources’ job website (https://fau.edu/jobs) by completing the required online employment application and submitting the related documents. When completing the online application, please upload the following: a cover letter, curriculum vitae, three reference letters, licenses, certifications of foreign transcript evaluations if applicable, copies of official transcripts scanned into an electronic format.
Confidential Letters of Recommendation to be sent to Emilio Zarruk, firstname.lastname@example.org
A background check will be required for the candidate selected for this position. This position is subject to funding.
For more information and to apply, visit www.fau.edu/jobs and go to Apply Now (REQ10678).
Florida Atlantic University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action/equal access institution and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veterans status or other protected status. Individuals with disabilities requiring accommodation, please call 561-297-3057. 711.
FAU is committed to the principles of engaged teaching, research and service. All persons aspiring to achieve excellence in the practice of these principles are encouraged to apply.