Housing Occupancy Manager, UM Housing
UM Housing invites applications for a Housing Occupancy Manager to join their team. Under minimal supervision serves as the housing occupancy manager and is responsible for occupancy management for the residence halls (2300 beds) and back-up support to the University Villages and Lewis and Clark Village occupancy management. Assigns meal plans and administers meal plan changes for residence hall students. Responsible for keeping the Onity software updated and for providing reports and access to both residents and visitors via the Onity system. Coordinates the annual Open House and Housing Assignment Fair. Responsible for creating and disseminating the majority of the communications that go out to current residents and incoming residents; marketing materials including handouts, DEN slides, signage, parent newsletters, and mailings. Also serves as a member of the website team for UM Housing.
The housing occupancy manager effectively works collaboratively with all UM Housing areas (residence halls, family housing, apartments, administrative and facilities staff), as well as, Enterprise Information Systems (EIS), Business Services, International Programs, Campus Dining, UM Information Technology, and Enrollment Management to accomplish the strategic plan of UM Housing as it relates to occupancy management. Housing occupancy manager is responsible for the overall daily management of residence hall occupancy for prospective and current students, including management of the housing assignments, request for specific room accommodations, room moves, and waitlists. Housing occupancy manager provides leadership in the development of training sessions and materials and ongoing support for StarRez (the housing management system). Housing occupancy manager also provides direction and feedback of the front desk and area desk management, administrative functions, package tracking and reporting, procedures and policies, departmental policies/goals, and working with various tenant, residents, and staff groups.
List of specific duties to be performed (not the entire list):
Project/Process Management Related:
- Oversees the daily residence hall assignment operations, including application development, supplemental applications, assignment notification and communication with students
- Coordinates the check-in/out procedures and processes during opening and closing of the residence halls related to new student assignments and communication
- Coordinates contract exception petition process, including follow-up with students regarding status of requests and committee decisions
- Provides support and leadership in the management of the University Live-On Requirement policy, including exceptions and exemptions
- Manages student communication and documentation throughout the not registered/not paid process, including providing updates to live-in staff
- Advises and monitors overoccupancy, including providing solutions to temporary spaces and relocation of residents to permanent assignment
- Develops and plans processes and systems in support of the student experience, housing selection and preferences
- Coordinate housing assignments with the various groups on campus that require specialty housing such as Davidson Honors College, Athletic Department, International Programs, and others
- Oversees occupancy planning for live-in student leaders (e.g. RAs)
- Reviews current policies and procedures and recommends changes to the housing and rental agreements/contracts; researches best practices and other resources in support of proposed changes
- Collaborates in and provides leadership to the development of residence hall application processes and procedures for the student portal and housing management software
Computer Systems Support Related:
- Updates and maintains rates in the Housing Management System
- Develops training materials and presents sessions for the departments Housing Management System for student staff, fulltime staff and management staff
- Manages and develops applications within StarRez and processes in support of housing assignments
- Responsible for reviewing software upgrade notes for Housing Management System software
- Responsible for planning software upgrades and creating a matrix to confirm that a software upgrade has been completed without issues, and then is responsible for bringing the system back online once it is completed
- Serves as the main technical support contact for the Housing Management System software
- Serves as the first line for troubleshooting when issues/errors occur in the Housing Management System or Onity software
- Serves as the UM Housing user for the Blackboard Access System to revoke and add door privileges, change door schedules, and locking down doors for emergencies
- Responsible for creating ad hoc reports from Banner using SQL and complex reports from Housing Management System
- Provides official occupancy/application reports and information to support planning and recruitment efforts.
- Manages occupancy management through an application report throughout the year
- Prepares reports as requested for a variety of purposes including, but not limited to assignments and applications
- Assists Director of Fiscal and Facilities Operations with preparing reports needed for bond audits and other financial audits
Customer Service/Outreach Related:
- Responds, resolves, and follows up on prospective students and families concerns/issues while maintaining a positive, high level of customer service at all times
- Provides updates to the Living Learning Community partners regarding student placements
- Guides students through the process of submitting applications and follows up with campus partners as needed to obtain supporting documentation
- Coordinates with campus partners for verification of the student status
- Coordinates and engages regularly with academic and support service partners across campus in support of student placements within the residence halls
- Builds and maintains collaborative relationships with Student Affairs and Enrollment Management, academic departments, and the university community in support of occupancy management and planning
- Coordinates and disseminates resources and information to the administrative staff to ensure efficiency and quality of processes, including housing assignment information, policies and procedures
- Collaborates with front office staff by developing processes and procedures for assigned tasks, providing training for task, following up, and coaching for complex processes and procedures
- Collaborates with area desk staff by developing processes and procedures for assigned tasks, providing training for task, following up, and coaching for complex processes and procedures
Strategic Planning Related:
- Reviews and plans for yield activities and communication for incomplete applications for both new and returning students
- Participates in regularly scheduled occupancy meetings with the department leadership team
- Produces all paper and electronic marketing materials including banners, posters, flyers, postcards, DEN slides, family newsletter, various housing emails, and outreach materials
- Responsible for designing the UM Housing website and is the main content writer and editor
- Ability to follow written and/or oral instructions, maintain an organized, safe work environment, work with little direct supervision, be capable of setting priorities while utilizing good time management practices, work well both independently and with others
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of records and information
- Ability to understand and follow specific instructions or multi-step procedures, perform simple mathematical computations and code or complete routine documents and forms
- Proven ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing with staff, students, guests, visitors and faculty of the University of Montana
- Ability to establish and maintain professional and cooperative working relationships with staff, students, guests, faculty and visitors at the University of Montana
- Must possess essential customer service skills such as listening, acknowledging and responding
- Establish, maintain, process and update electronic and paper files, records and documents
- Demonstrated ability to access BANNER or other databases, spreadsheets, etc for data viewing, collection and entry
- Demonstrated proficiency with the Microsoft Office Suite, SQL database, Photoshop or Illustrator
- Knowledge and familiarity with web design software in particular a content management system
- Ability to identify primary markets and to develop and use effective promotions, communications, and informational pieces in a variety of media and formats
- Knowledge of message development for a variety of audiences to convey information, explain procedures, and clearly provide directions
- Sensitivity to the ever-changing ways to communicate with students
- Ability to design and create effective promotional and advertising materials
- Demonstrated written and verbal communication and diplomacy skills
- Effective communication and cooperative work association is essential to provide excellence in customer service
- Excellent public speaking skills, friendly and nurturing demeanor when addressing concerns
- Ability to design and lead training sessions for staff in regards to policies, procedures, and various software that is utilized in the department
Minimum Required Experience
- Bachelor’s degree and two (2) years of progressively responsible work experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience with relational databases such as housing management systems and/or enterprise management (StarRez).
- Understanding of the principles and best practices of occupancy management
About UM Housing and UM
UM Housing provides safe, clean, healthy and affordable living and learning facilities that foster an inclusive community living environment for students, staff, faculty and guests. UM Housing manages three areas: Residence Halls, Lewis and Clark Village, and University Villages - which provide a variety of housing options for single students, students with dependents, and University guests. Services provided in these facilities support and nurture personal development and educational experiences at the University of Montana.
The University of Montana is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and has a strong institutional commitment to the principle of diversity in all areas. In that spirit, we are particularly interested in receiving applications from a broad spectrum of qualified people who would assist the University in demonstrating its five priorities for action : Place student success at the center of all we do; drive excellence and innovation in teaching, learning, and research; embody the principle of “mission first, people always"; partner with place; and proudly tell the UM story.
Nestled in at the base of Mount Sentinel and on the banks of the Clark Fork River, UM campus is described as one of the most beautiful in the US. The region boasts unparalleled year around recreational opportunities and a vibrant arts and culture community. UM offers a unique opportunity for professional growth in a magnificent environment. The University of Montana offers eligible employees a generous benefits package that positively separates UM from other local employers and offers many programs and policies to support work-life balance for its employees.
UM provides a culture that values hard work, intellectual curiosity, diversity, collegiality, innovative thinking, and teamwork, making it a great place to grow and develop professionally. Located in the heart of western Montana’s stunning natural landscape, UM attracts first rate teachers, researchers, and students from around the world. A city within a city – with its own eateries, stores, medical facilities, banking and postal services, and zip code – UM has an increasingly diverse population and rich culture.
To learn more about the University of Montana, Missoula, and the State of Montana, please visit the links below.
Position Title: Housing Occupancy Manager (Program Manager)
Position Number: 103800
Department: UM Housing
Work Schedule: Full-time, 1.0 FTE (40 Hours a week), Monday through Friday 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, 12 months/year.
Union Affiliation: FOCUS-MFPE
Probationary Period: Six months minimum
Benefits Include : Insurance package, mandatory retirement plan, partial tuition waiver, and wellness program.
Criminal Background Investigation is required prior to the Offer of Employment In accordance with University regulations, finalists for this position will be subject to criminal background investigations. ADA/EOE/AA/Veteran's Preference Reasonable accommodations are provided in the hiring process for persons with disabilities. For example, this material is available in alternative format upon request. As an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, we encourage applications from minorities, veterans, and women. Qualified candidates may request veterans’ or disabilities preference in accordance with state law. References: References not listed on the application materials may be contacted; notice may be provided to the applicant. Testing: Individual hiring departments at UM may elect to administer pre-employment tests, which are relevant to essential job functions. Employment Eligibility: All New Employees must be eligible and show employment eligibility verification by the first date of employment at UM, as legally required (e.g., Form I-9).
How to Apply
Priority Application Date: Sunday, July 25, 2021 by 11:59 PM (Mountain Time)
Complete applications received by the ‘Priority Application Date’ will be guaranteed consideration. The position will remain open until filled. Candidates are required to submit the following materials online.
A complete application Includes:
- Letter of Interest – addressing your qualifications and experience related to the stated required skills for the position. A general letter salutation such as “Dear Search Committee” or “Dear Hiring Manager” is acceptable.
- Detailed Resume – listing education and describing work experience
- Professional References – names and contact information for three (3) professional references
Job Location Missoula, Montana, United States
Position Type Full-Time/Regular