Custodian (2nd shift)
Custodian (2nd shift)
Job No: 496767
Position Type: full-time
Location: Lewisburg, PA
Seeking team players with great interpersonal and mechanical skills and stamina!
Our Custodians work to make sure that our buildings are neat, clean, free from clutter and safe. They spend their days picking up trash, sweeping, mopping, vacuuming, or using industrial cleaning equipment to clean floors, stocking bathrooms, making sure buildings are secure, cleaning windows, and doing some minor building maintenance and repairs. While the majority of custodians' work is inside buildings, sometimes work might involve some outside work, like setting up for a Bucknell event. Our Custodians need great interpersonal skills and working as part of a team as well as mechanical skills because you'll likely encounter some equipment like industrial floor washers, and fixing small building problems like leaky faucets or faulty light switches. You'll need strength and stamina as most of your time will be spent on your feet. Apply today if this active position sounds like something you'd enjoy!
This is a 2nd shift (2:30pm- 11pm) position which is full-time and benefits eligible.
Additional responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Checks fire extinguishers, fire alarms, eye wash stations, and emergency lights as required.
- Operates and maintains a variety of manual and motor driven tools and custodial equipment
- Responsible for the proper safekeeping of master keys; open and locks doors as required.
- Stocks and maintains custodial supply closets, rooms and lockers.
- Responds to and assists with minor pest removals including insects, mice, bats.
- Immediately reports accidents, injuries, security violations, stolen or missing items and safety hazards and conditions to an available supervisor. Adheres to OSHA standards, employs safe practices, and follows safety policies/procedures. Uses cleaning materials and supplies in accordance with Safety Data Sheets (SDS), the Hazard Communication Program and manufacturers' instructions. Uses PPE in a safe manner, sets examples for others, notifies supervisor of potential hazards, and demonstrates good housekeeping habits.
- Works independently, uses judgement, and makes decisions regarding routine custodial, housekeeping services, general maintenance, and repairs of buildings and equipment.
- Communicates effectively and assists customers by responding to their requests for special setups for classes, meetings, deliveries and events to include large scale events and complex event setups.
- Works as a team member in providing custodial, housekeeping and other general labor services throughout campus.
- Supports and promotes the University's sustainability efforts.
- Demonstrated ability to understand oral and written instructions.
- Customer service oriented.
- Detail oriented and demonstrated ability to take initiative.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively work independently, as well as part of a team.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity and inclusiveness.
This staff position is classified as part of essential services. This individual is required to report to work even if campus has a delayed opening, early closing, or is closed, unless instructed otherwise by a supervisor or appropriate time off is approved by a supervisor.
- A high school diploma or equivalent
- Prior work experience that includes some duties of a physical nature such as manual labor, custodial, housekeeping, maintenance, etc.
- General knowledge and skills related to institutional housekeeping and maintenance work, with some relevant commercial/institutional cleaning experience.
- Demonstrated ability to perform basic skills on computers for communication and training.
- Bends, kneels, stoops, pushes, pulls, reaches above and below shoulders, frequently lifts and carries objects up to 25 pounds unassisted; occasionally lifts items up to 50 lbs that may require help or adjusting loads, assists others in moving objects greater than 25 pounds as needed; climbs and works on stools, ladders, stairs and elevated platforms with training and safety equipment. Must use proper safety equipment for hearing, head, eye, feet (full-time safety shoes), hand and body protection as required.
- Daily exposure to dust, dirt, cleaning detergents and chemicals, odors, body fluids and waste, weather and temperature changes.
To apply, visit https://careers.bucknell.edu/en-us/job/496767/custodian-2nd-shift